The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#138318 - 01/17/08 07:14 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I just took up quilting last year and I absolutely love it -- except for the frustrating parts, of course! I've done one applique square where I had no idea what I was doing and it came out pretty, if very unsquare! LOL!

I just finished piecing a Halloween quilt. Now that was fun, finding all those scraps of Halloween fabrics. Then I had to make them go together -- 18 squares had to have 3-4 fabrics each. It took a while.

I took a quilting class last Saturday and that was VERY discouraging. I have an old machine and it was cranky. It won't take many of the new nice threads and I can't afford the few grand they want for a new one. But I'm determined to learn so that I can finish the quilt! I'll do pictures when I get it finished.

Keep at it, Dee, there's no "wrong." It's all creative. Selecting fabrics can be a bit overwhelming, I agree, but eventually you start getting an instinct for it, I think.

#138319 - 01/17/08 07:20 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Casey]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Here is a pic of my very humble "only" quilting project ever (I mentioned it a few posts ago)...

#138320 - 01/17/08 09:12 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Love your puzzles, JJ!! LJ, your quilted pillows are lovely! Can't wait to see your quilt Dee. Quilting and puzzles always remind me of my mom. She always had a card table with a zillion piece puzzle on it that she was working on, and a quilt in the making near the sofa that she was piecing together. She would work on both of them in the evenings after she came home from work. She said it was relaxing and it kept her mind busy.

#138321 - 01/17/08 11:06 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Wow, LJ, those pillows are so beautiful. Catheral Windows, right? I've heard that is the most difficult pattern to make. Do you agree? They are so pretty!

#138322 - 01/18/08 01:46 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ]
Dee Offline

That is so cool...JJ. I've worked many-a-puzzle but never kept them...I think that's neat the way you hang them up like that. There's one company (can't think of it) but they do vivid colors and their scenes are of countryside and towns and I loved putting those together. How many puzzles do you think you've worked in the past 10 years?

#138323 - 01/18/08 12:16 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
yeah, I know....a difficult quilting square and it's the ONLY one I've ever done! It was done by hand...no machines. I don't know if I ever will do it again. I started another thread about "most memorable years." It was also during that particular time in my life that I was the most creative....quilting, crocheting, rubber stamping. I'm not sure what happened!

#138324 - 01/19/08 02:36 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
Dee Offline

LadyJane....I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy...(on knees bowing to you). Holy cow, woman!!!! Your FIRST quilting project? I look at your pillows and drool. I think that is the most beautiful pattern out there and can only HOPE that I can eventually do that. LJ...you're my hero!!!!!
Casey...I'll do my best. I found some cool fabric, however, I'm of the sewing mindset when it comes to fabric and not the quilt mindset...until I learn how to stretch my imagination with colors my quilt squares may be a little dull. But, I'll be sure and post my finished class project here on this site.
Thanks ya'll for the encouragement! And LJ...you go girl!!!

#138325 - 01/19/08 03:43 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dee, I don't have a clue. I didn't show you the one hanging in the kitchen. I think it was 3,000 pieces. It is a coke-cola one.

Growing up, our house always had a card table up with a puzzle on it. With five girls, somebody was always getting grounded. Mostly me. And working a puzzle was the ONLY thing Mom would let us do, when grounded.

When my kids were growing up, I carried on the same tradition. Then it got to where their friends would drop by just to sit and talk, and work the puzzles. It was a cool thing!

#138326 - 01/19/08 04:35 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

I remember card tables and puzzles...what a wonderful memory you just brought back to me....of course, when I got grounded it was a different story. Why not post the coca-cola puzzle so we can all see it? When is the last time you worked on one?

#138327 - 01/19/08 05:39 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Puzzles were a big part of my life, too. The girls, my husband and I had one going often while they were still at home. My oldest daughter played the same game every time... no matter whose puzzle we were working. She'd pocket one piece of the puzzle, knowing it was almost finished. Then, when it was all done, but that one piece, she'd bring it to bear. That way she always placed the last piece. It became expected and became a family laughing matter. It never worked that one of the others of us put one away for ourselves. Somehow, she'd always be the victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what would be fun. For each of us to make a square for a quilt (after having someone determine the dimensions and rules for creating). Then all send them to the queen quilter to have it put together. Then we could give it to dotsie for her bday. Or she could have it as a prize for one of her contests. It'd be neat to see what the final product would look like, if the theme was NABBW.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved