The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137861 - 01/14/08 04:10 PM ~~Valentine's Day~~
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I know you've talked about this every time it's rolled around. I can't believe it's even on my mind....I'm not over Christmas yet! Just wanted to open an area for us to share ideas and plans for this year!

#137863 - 01/15/08 05:05 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Anne, I never consciously thought too much about Valentine's Day. And before I met my partner, I certainly forgot about the day and didn't waste time getting depressed because there was no one to shower love on that day. It does help that Chinese New Year's falls before, same time or after that day. Other things to celebrate!

In fact, my partner would remember V-day (sounds like conquering a war...) more than I did. Kinda of embarrassing.
So now we just do simple stuff, exchange a card or trinket. No, we don't eat out. My birthday would have just occurred 2 wks. prior to Valentine's Day.

Love and acknowledgement of love is every day after all, not just one day.

#137864 - 01/15/08 12:17 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

How about talking about your most memorable Valentine's Day and what made it so special? Think back ladies....Orchid, my birthday occurs just two weeks prior to Valentine's also..when's yours?

#137865 - 01/15/08 08:20 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ladyjane]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
January 30th

#137866 - 01/16/08 02:55 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: orchid]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Oh Anne, I'm so sorry you have those memories. I have similar memories of my mother, and although you'll always carry that, it does get easier with time (my dad left in 1981 and my mother in 1998).

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Whirlwind

#137867 - 01/16/08 03:26 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: Whirlwind]
QBall101 Offline

Anne,
Could you bare to get a bunch of flowers and visit a nursing home or assisted living & pass out single flowers to the residents. (for valentine day) Or Go visit and pass out those small valentines like school kids exchange. I've seen this do wonders for the residents with a hug added here and there. Your Mom would be Proud & she would want you to be happy.

As far as V-day around here, it's hit & miss. As my DH ages he seems to be slipping on his courtship. I hope we go to have dinner with our sons and GF's, then on to the boys basketball game, one of those league type tourneys. The next game both boys will be playing in together is the 4th, DH's B-day is the 7th..so we'll most likely call that V & B day. I've already got his card & would be happy with a Healthy Choice dinner, I don't have to cook.
QBall

#137868 - 01/16/08 04:44 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: QBall101]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Here's one I wrote some time ago. 3rd place winner. Enjoy. http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article-level1-previous.php?id=2034

#137869 - 01/16/08 12:03 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: chickadee]
ladyjane Offline

Oh, so cute, chick!!! I'll bet that Valentine is still very visible to you....there's nothing like homemade valentine's by a 4 yearold. Strange, I suppose, but I had never heard of going door to door with valentines! Maybe it depends on the part of the country. February 14 is usually not conducive with going door to door for anything in Maine! Now May Day was a different story! I remember having this huge crush on a little boy in 3rd grade. He was the tallest kid in the class and oh, so cute! I worked for a week at my little desk at home making him a huge envelope of many, many hearts and valentines. I slipped it into his school desk when everyone went to the playground. And I never heard a word about it. Some kids would have been horribly teased about it but he kept everything quiet which I so appreciated. And because boys are emotionally younger than girls, he also probably had NO idea what this was about!!!

#137871 - 01/17/08 01:42 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I imagine hubby and I will go out to dinner and we'll probably invite our son too since it's on a week night and we typically all eat together.

We are doing a one night away in early February so we will do our celebrating then. We really try to get away for one night several times a year. It is great to break things up a bit and to have soemthing to look forward to.

QBall, your post reminds me that I need to remember an elderly neighbor on Valentine's Day. She's a sweetie and has sent all three of our kids their own cards on special occasions for years.

#137872 - 01/17/08 01:48 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Just another day of the year ... a bunch of hooplah about nothing. I demanded that my hubby quit bringing me things. I'd rather him just reach over and spontaneoulsy pat me on the arm. None of the commercialized c*** for me, thank you very much.

#137873 - 01/17/08 02:04 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
gims Offline

For those who do practice Valentine's Day celebrations, try this: eat out for 1/2 price +/-

#137874 - 01/17/08 02:10 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

I do love things like Valentine's Day, but I agree...without falling for all the commercialized stuff (similar to how I feel about Christmas). I try to pre-plan a really nice homemade dinner. We get each other cards and I am blessed with flowers. We just take the evening to talk and enjoy each other. Sometimes I get crazy and send a million little hearts in his lunchbox, some with sayings. Or spray paint a huge red heart in the snow if the weather allows. It all depends. Of course, we've only been married 3 years....still in newlywed phase!

#137875 - 01/18/08 04:01 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ladyjane]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Anne, that really struck me about your mother's final condition, and how a color can cause a shiver up the spine. I'm sorry for this sadness. Gims, I'm with you. You know when I really enjoyed Valentines Day? When I was young enough to make cards for my mother. Last year, when I was visiting my 101 year old Grandmother, she gave me a box of cards to look through, and there, from about 1935 was a Valentines' day card made by my mother for her mother. And all their lives, neither mother or daughter thought they loved each other. All their lives, still to this day. I still make Valentines day cards for both of them, but not for my husband. Go figure!

#137877 - 01/18/08 10:58 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
QBall101 Offline

Thinking of the elderly on V-day, years ago when our sons were small. They were making out their little valentines for school. My dad's X brother in law - who lived with him at the time (2 old fart bachloers LOL a real ODD couple!) anyhow he stopped by & the boys gave him a Valentine. HE was such a Dear to them. He went home fine, planning to go to a dance later that evening, he laid down for a nap and passed away. Why is this important..when he was found he was holding the little Valentine, smiling..I still have it in an evvelope with his obit.
QB

#137878 - 01/19/08 02:19 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: QBall101]
Princess Lenora Offline

Anne, I am so sorry, really. That is something I never thought of: bringing Valentine cards to the elderly, or just anyone who would smile. I think based on LJ's post I might make an effort on Valentines Day, although we are not newlyweds! My MIL sent me a card every week while I was going through cancer. It just occurred to me that she might get a kick out of Valentines Day. I did not do cards at Christmas this year. Maybe I can get in the spirit for Valentines Day. Gimster, I have told my husband if he needs to run by Walmart and pick up a tacky vase with an old rose, then don't bother! He'll never do that again!

#137879 - 01/19/08 06:14 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: Princess Lenora]
gims Offline

Anne, I'll add an additional 'so sorry you had to go through what you did.' That had to be tough, truly tough.
QB, I love that story.
PL, we've been round and round over this one. He once brought home an eternity ring. I hurt him so badly when I took it back. 1st, I don't wear jewelry (besides my wedding band), and I'd rather put the money toward bills (being very practical, and somewhat a money worrier). I don't even want flowers. One year, he signed up for me to receive a bouquet a month, starting with VDay. They were gorgeous, each month bringing a different type. But, it really was a waste. I'd much rather him scooch over and peck me on the cheek, or give me an unexpected wink, or put what he calls "our song" on the CD player when I don't expect it. I like that kind of love making. Obviously he doesn't - I could tell you a good one, but this is too public a forum... and I'm so lol...

#137880 - 01/19/08 12:50 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Aw, gimster! It sounds like you have a guy that a lot of ladies would die fore. Some women receive nothing...ever. Practical is good but in this life we only go around once and it's nice to enjoy SOME nice things.

#137881 - 01/20/08 12:58 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dotsie..my partner and I try to get away for an overnite a few times during the year, too. Well, one or 2 overnites per visit . It´s a wonderful idea to get away from it all with the one you love. We have this luxury hotel that we usually go to..that has normal rates because it´s become part of a chain of hotels now.Hotels are VERY expensive here in Sweden..so that´s such a treat!..and we play chess the WHOLE time and discuss politics...

I love extra holidays like Valentine´s Day..just another reason to celebrate. It can be done very modestly..but just the fact that the day is alittle special is nice... of course, I work with kids..so maybe that´s why I like Valentine´s Day A box of chocolates in the shape of hearts are very popular here.

#137882 - 01/20/08 01:05 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: humlan]
Princess Lenora Offline

Gims, I am a total money worrier, which theoretically repels money! Even though you are practical, your hub did choose some great gifts. I have not been lucky in the gift giving department lately. I run out of ideas. He'd be happy if I watched a football game with him, and actually got into it.

#137883 - 01/20/08 12:50 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: Princess Lenora]
ladyjane Offline

Humlan, that's exactly how I feel...."another reason to celebrate." One of my goals for the new year was to not see so much in a negative light...things that are meant to be nice but because of my thinking, turn into a hassle. It's usually because I try to do too much which causes me to be negative. I want a better attitude. Valentine's just gives me a reason to celebrate love for a man that I was blessed to find, "warts and all" (after all, I have some, too!!)I realize that at any moment he could be taken away from me and I would have the "if onlys." So I choose to celebrate love and commitment. I don't know what we'll do but it will be low key. And so what if he comes home with grocery store flowers? It will be something that he stopped, perused for the best he could find and has joy in giving. We can hurt feelings so easily by rejecting someone's giving. I wouldn't treat a friend that way, so why would I treat my mate for life that way? Life everyday can be difficult enough. I look forward to celebrating for any reason this year!

#137884 - 01/20/08 02:26 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Got engaged to my second husband on Valentine's Day. That was rememberable. Hey???? LOL...

#137885 - 01/20/08 02:32 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
This year's V'day marks the 14th anniversary of my hysterectomy. So, sadly, it's not always a GOOD time!

But, in counteraction to that, my Valentine Soap this year will be in our local newspaper. The writer is doing a piece on "Hearts in the Home" and when she saw our display, she took pics!

#137886 - 01/20/08 06:19 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: Di]
gims Offline

PL, maybe my opposition was based more on my feelings about him not listening. I didn't need or want such gifts. He should have recognized that and respected how I felt - which would certainly have been a gift (a cheap one). Finally, around five years ago, it finally sunk in, and he actually grasps my feelings for what they are. I don't want you all to think I'm a Val Day kiljoy... but, like I said before, it's a commercialized mess. It should go back to homemade cards and sweet cuddles. It's too easy to stop by the local grocery or temporary flower stand to pick up a plant or box of chocs... nothing thought worthy.

Now, if hubby set up a candlelight dinner on a rooftop (like you see in movies, with white lights sparkling everywhere), I'd flip with turn-on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved