The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137861 - 01/14/08 04:10 PM ~~Valentine's Day~~
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I know you've talked about this every time it's rolled around. I can't believe it's even on my mind....I'm not over Christmas yet! Just wanted to open an area for us to share ideas and plans for this year!

#137863 - 01/15/08 05:05 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Anne, I never consciously thought too much about Valentine's Day. And before I met my partner, I certainly forgot about the day and didn't waste time getting depressed because there was no one to shower love on that day. It does help that Chinese New Year's falls before, same time or after that day. Other things to celebrate!

In fact, my partner would remember V-day (sounds like conquering a war...) more than I did. Kinda of embarrassing.
So now we just do simple stuff, exchange a card or trinket. No, we don't eat out. My birthday would have just occurred 2 wks. prior to Valentine's Day.

Love and acknowledgement of love is every day after all, not just one day.

#137864 - 01/15/08 12:17 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

How about talking about your most memorable Valentine's Day and what made it so special? Think back ladies....Orchid, my birthday occurs just two weeks prior to Valentine's also..when's yours?

#137865 - 01/15/08 08:20 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ladyjane]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
January 30th

#137866 - 01/16/08 02:55 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: orchid]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Oh Anne, I'm so sorry you have those memories. I have similar memories of my mother, and although you'll always carry that, it does get easier with time (my dad left in 1981 and my mother in 1998).

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Whirlwind

#137867 - 01/16/08 03:26 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: Whirlwind]
QBall101 Offline

Anne,
Could you bare to get a bunch of flowers and visit a nursing home or assisted living & pass out single flowers to the residents. (for valentine day) Or Go visit and pass out those small valentines like school kids exchange. I've seen this do wonders for the residents with a hug added here and there. Your Mom would be Proud & she would want you to be happy.

As far as V-day around here, it's hit & miss. As my DH ages he seems to be slipping on his courtship. I hope we go to have dinner with our sons and GF's, then on to the boys basketball game, one of those league type tourneys. The next game both boys will be playing in together is the 4th, DH's B-day is the 7th..so we'll most likely call that V & B day. I've already got his card & would be happy with a Healthy Choice dinner, I don't have to cook.
QBall

#137868 - 01/16/08 04:44 AM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: QBall101]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Here's one I wrote some time ago. 3rd place winner. Enjoy. http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article-level1-previous.php?id=2034

#137869 - 01/16/08 12:03 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: chickadee]
ladyjane Offline

Oh, so cute, chick!!! I'll bet that Valentine is still very visible to you....there's nothing like homemade valentine's by a 4 yearold. Strange, I suppose, but I had never heard of going door to door with valentines! Maybe it depends on the part of the country. February 14 is usually not conducive with going door to door for anything in Maine! Now May Day was a different story! I remember having this huge crush on a little boy in 3rd grade. He was the tallest kid in the class and oh, so cute! I worked for a week at my little desk at home making him a huge envelope of many, many hearts and valentines. I slipped it into his school desk when everyone went to the playground. And I never heard a word about it. Some kids would have been horribly teased about it but he kept everything quiet which I so appreciated. And because boys are emotionally younger than girls, he also probably had NO idea what this was about!!!

#137871 - 01/17/08 01:42 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~ [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I imagine hubby and I will go out to dinner and we'll probably invite our son too since it's on a week night and we typically all eat together.

We are doing a one night away in early February so we will do our celebrating then. We really try to get away for one night several times a year. It is great to break things up a bit and to have soemthing to look forward to.

QBall, your post reminds me that I need to remember an elderly neighbor on Valentine's Day. She's a sweetie and has sent all three of our kids their own cards on special occasions for years.

#137872 - 01/17/08 01:48 PM Re: ~~Valentine's Day~~
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Just another day of the year ... a bunch of hooplah about nothing. I demanded that my hubby quit bringing me things. I'd rather him just reach over and spontaneoulsy pat me on the arm. None of the commercialized c*** for me, thank you very much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved