The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137531 - 01/12/08 08:50 PM DO you.......
QBall101 Offline

Make you bed everyday? LOL What a silly question right? I just got done circling our King Sz bed a zillion times, getting all the pillows in just the right spot, bedspread on even/straight Whatever! & It dawned on me...Is it worth if, I mean if company's NOT coming WHY??? Would it not be simpler to shut the door. LOL However, like Suzie galldarn homemaker, I make our bed about 95% of the time. A terribly light hearted subject True, yet half way interesting.

#137532 - 01/12/08 10:43 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: QBall101]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I almost always make the bed every morning before I leave for work. In my case, if I don't make the bed, we end up with sheets full of muddy footprints, dirt, dried grass pieces, or anything else the dogs happen to have on them when they get on the bed. LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#137533 - 01/12/08 10:51 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I used to make the bed every morning. Then when I was ill and IN the bed more than out several years ago, it took me a long time (as in years) to build up any sustainable energy reserves...during that time it was almost impossible to muster enough energy to CARE about making the bed, much less being able physically to do it. As I got stronger, I would half-make the bed, i.e., pull the sheets and covers up and straighten the pillows, but unless company was coming, we didn't bother doing any more than that.

I'm afraid to say that that's the way we STILL do it, even though my energy level is much better these days. Some of the reason still has to do with energy-management, i.e., picking and choosing where to use the limited supply. But admittedly some of it does come from the realization that it's really not as important to me as it used to be. I need my energy and time for other things that are either more essential, or simply more fun (which is also important for me these days!) so making the bed "perfectly" has gone by the wayside - except when company comes, then we go all out.

But I'll probably never go back to making the bed the way I used to.

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/12/08 10:52 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#137534 - 01/12/08 11:56 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
When I rise, I turn around and make the bed. It takes me less than 1 minute. My office is across the hallway. When I go through my bedroom to use the master bath, I see the "made" bed and neat room and it makes me feel good. So, I do.

When I first started working from home I didn't. Not necessarily. I wanted and needed to stretch my independence and laugh in the face of discipline. Just for a bit. I got over that and now I like being a bed maker. I'm not compulsive though like some folks I know who go to motels/hotels on vacation and such, KNOWING a maid is coming in and they make the bed anyway.

#137535 - 01/13/08 01:19 AM Re: DO you....... [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
You're going to love this one. My husband has this thing about making the bed. So....he makes it. Every morning. He gets out of bed, (and unless it's the weekend and I'm still in it) he makes the bed before he does anything else. Even before he goes into the shower. We have a queen size bed, but it's very high and it's hard for me to make it, but he's always done this. It's part of his morning routine. I wouldn't want to take that away from him. When he's away, I sometimes sleep on the couch so I don't have to do it, or I just straighten it out later, like before he comes home. If he didn't do it, I don't know if I would be as diligent about it as I was in my other life. I'd probably make it, but I wouldn't worry about it if it didn't get made because I was in a hurry or slept late or something.

#137536 - 01/13/08 08:36 AM Re: DO you....... [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I just fluff up our featherbed and pillows and I’m done. During summer I throw over our patchwork blankets, because I just love that country look. It takes about one minute to make our bed.

I have noticed in some fine hotels in the States and in Canada they don't use woolen blankets anymore. Instead they have crisp starched duvet covers. That’s what we have. It’s such a clean hygenic feeling.

#137537 - 01/13/08 01:27 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
It depends really...sometimes it's done early in the morning. If I have to be out all or part of the day, it may or may not get done before I leave. Either way, I really do try to have it made before my husband gets home...sometimes!
It's a king size bed with a comforter, so it's fast and easy and I offer no excuses other than I give myself the option these days...it's gotta be my age and independent thinking now!

#137538 - 01/13/08 05:24 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: ladyjane]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I might do it 50%, or less, of the time. It's a lot of bother for nothing, in my opinion. I do throw the quilt up and smooth out the major wrinkles, but to make the bed with tedious effort is not worth the time to me. I would never be a candidate for "Ms Homemaker."
I have to add that, if it were a smaller bed and only I slept in it, I'd probably make it up as a habit. But, making a king, which is on the high side, is a pain.

#137539 - 01/13/08 09:19 PM Re: DO you....... [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Our bed gets made every day. For the most part, I do it, but occasionally, Ross will if we run off to church without making it, or if it's a Wednesday (his day off). Sometimes, If I'm making my side and he's in the room getting ready for work, he'll pull up his side. However, we are not fussy bed makers. We plunk our pillows at the top, pull up the sheet, blanket and comforter rather haphazardly, and then throw the decorative pillows on top. Simple.

We have enough mulch, leaves, and tiny sprigs on our bed from our dog. I couldn't stand it if that was mixed among the sheets and blankets.

#137540 - 01/13/08 09:40 PM Re: DO you.......
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Nope..we don´t make our bed..maybe fix the blanket a bit..we have something called "bag sheets..translated from the Swedish, påslakan". AND we live in a small apartment. We just close the door to the one bedroom we have, if company comes. That bedroom is our storage space as my 18yr old son lives in our storage space. His computer is in the kitchen..ours are in our bedroom.

In sweden we often say: Where there is room for the heart, there is butt room... or something to that efftect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved