The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136976 - 01/06/08 04:59 PM Pay Scale
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Something Orchid said prompted me to start this thread. I did not do so to begin a debate, more or less to make a statement.

It has always blown my mind that professional baseball, football, and basketball players (let's don't forget hockey) get paid these astronomical amount of salary yet a policeman, fireman, and armed forces personnel can barely make ends meet with the salaries they have.

With all of the unions around, it looks like someone would organize a group to INSIST these people who protect us, care for us, rescue us, etc., are paid more and the ball players, less.

Is it just me? I know there are bad policemen and other officials; but aren't there bad atheletics as well? What about Vick? Or the ones taking steriods? Or the ones who murder others?

We had a policeman who was killed during the Christmas season. He had five young children at home and a wife. He was killed point blank by a man who suffered from PSTS. Sad...so sad. It made me stop and think.

I would like to know what you think...anybody?

#136977 - 01/06/08 05:05 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I believe most of us are underpaid for the work we do. I see absolutely no excuse that a few people in the entertainment business, be it movies, television or sports, should make astronomical salaries, while the rest of the world barely make ends meet.

That being said, people in careers of service are not in it for the money. There are other aspects of the job that are calling people to these assignments in life.

As to unions - I was/am (?) a die-hard union supporter, but they aren't worth much anymore. I know my union has lost so much power and it shows in my paycheck and benefits package.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#136978 - 01/06/08 07:02 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh gosh...how could I have forgotten the entertainment biz! Movie stars, show host, etc? Duh?

I totally agree that for the most part, people in service jobs are there because they want to be, because they care. God luv um!

#136979 - 01/06/08 07:17 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
It seems there is something wrong in a country that pays grocery baggers more than child care workers get. Doesn't this say something about our priorities? (or lack of?)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#136980 - 01/06/08 07:19 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: yonuh]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Amen...society has dictated that entertainment is more important...sad, isn't it?

#136981 - 01/06/08 08:44 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,First I will confess that dancers that dance what I do, and concert performers make a lot of money.
That said, I agree with you TOTALLY!
Did you know that the military starting salary up to the rank of E4 are under the poverty line? It's true. They are making poverty wages, they are not above the poverty line until they have been in the militay for about 6 years.

dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#136982 - 01/06/08 09:13 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh my...I wasn't even taking into account that you were in the entertainment biz...forgive me for being insensitive here, dancer! It wasn't my intent.

I was actually comparing the poor policemen and firemen, mainly, and the military, with atheletics. I know there are tons of overpaid movie stars, and that was a good point that someone brought up. Also teachers. God love those dedicated teachers!

But as you've told us, you work very hard for your earnings and I'm sure you do not fall into this category. I would wager you earn every penny, and then some!

Again, forgive my broad generalization without taking into account the members here. Duh, on my part!

#136984 - 01/06/08 11:30 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark Twain once said something to the effect, "If you always tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said before."

Apparently, some politicians and those of power to do good don't know of Mark Twain!

#136985 - 01/06/08 11:32 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Mustang Gal,
My grandfather, whom I loved very much and lived on the estate next to ours, told me that very thing!
I have lived by that rule all of my life and I have to say that it is true. To tell the truth makes life so simple and easy, you may talk to people and be completely open without worrying what you said before!
dancer

"Question your privilege"

#136986 - 01/06/08 11:33 PM Re: Pay Scale [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
There's some new game/reality show starting soon (which I probably won't watch) where the contestants will be hooked up to a lie detector. Some pundit said, "It's too bad they can't get any politicians to play."

My thoughts exactly.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved