The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#136767 - 01/05/08 09:15 PM Husbands who don't listen!
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm using the term "husbands" because mostly its men who don't listen, but it can be any spouse, partner, etc. Here is a story. MH was watching TV all morning, resting before working tonight. Plus, he was in a bad mood. Anyway, I was researching on Ebay the selling price of a vintage Gucci purse, because I have one just sitting in my closet, and I want to sell it. He knows that. So, I said to MH, "Hey honey, someone sold a Gucci purse on Ebay. The price started at $9.99, and there is another hour to bid, and the price is at $350.00." He said, "uh huh." Then I had trouble putting the pic of my purse on ebay, and tried to discuss downsizing MB with MH. He mumbled, "I don't know." So I aborted the listing of my Gucci until I can figure out MB. A couple of hours later, MH got ready for work. As he was leaving he said, "So, that's a good day. You sold the purse for $350.00." What?????? I swear, my dogs comprehend better.

Edited by Princess Lenora (01/05/08 09:16 PM)

#136768 - 01/05/08 09:32 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, this is hysterical. Sorry, don't mean to make light of it, but Ross and I have both been guilty of this type of listening while doing something else. I don't think it's only a man thing. My daughter is the same way, and I recall one of my younger sisters being like that as a kid.

#136769 - 01/06/08 08:58 AM Re: Husbands who don't listen!
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
This topic is a pet peeve of mine. Thanks for posting it Princess. It's good to know I'm not alone on this one.

It’s probably demeaning for my husband, but sometimes I pretend to toot a horn while calling out, “Attention attention.” He then raises his eyebrows in an exasperated way, and after I’ve told him what I want to say, there is still only a 50% chance that he really listened. I think his mind wanders off to what he “thinks” I’m saying.

It has got increasingly worse the past year. So bad, that I’m starting to worry if there is another reason behind this. He had his hearing checked…and it’s 100%...But they didn’t peep in my voice level…which gets increasingly higher, the more I notice that he isn’t LISTENING!!!!!!

Of course your right Dotsie, when he tells me something while I’m on the phone or computer…I have no idea what he said either….But if he is looking at me with no other distractions around, and still doesn’t get it,…well then, I wonder, should I worry?

#136770 - 01/06/08 03:35 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: Edelweiss]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My guy seldom listens and then says I never told him, what I told him four times, three days ago. He can't hear very well, if it's something I want him to hear. But if it's something I don't want him to hear, he hears fine. I don't miss what he says,
because he never says anything!

#136771 - 01/06/08 04:12 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: jabber]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
We women just love to talk, talk, talk and our menfolk have to listen to us day in day out. Over the years they have probably learned to zone out sometimes, just to get a little quiet. Men don't feel the need to express themselves verbally as much as we do, so rather than get exasperated with them, we need to try and weigh up what needs to be talked about and what doesn't. We don't need to keep bombarding them with jabbering 24/7.

#136772 - 01/06/08 04:14 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Here's the way I use to solve that little prob, Princess...When I would tell my ex something that I knew he would use SELECTIVE HEARING on, I would say to him, "Now did you hear that?" He would give his standard, "Yes, I hear ya." And start to walk away. I would say something jokingly like, "Hold on a sec that buster, you aren't getting off that easy. I said did you hear that. I didn't say hear this and file it away, I said, did you hear that.

This means at some point in time, I'm gonna ask you about this and you are gonna have that deer in the headlights look and say, "WHATTTTT?" Now....I'm asking you again, did you hear that? Careful before you answer me, cause if you say yes, and IF...you chose to say WHATTTTT? when I ask you about this again, I get to go out and spend 1,000. And another 1,000 every time you say, "Whatttt?" Got it?

He ALWAYS got it.

#136773 - 01/06/08 04:18 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: Countrygirl]
Princess Lenora Offline

Bonnie, that is so true. I can tell him 4 tmes and he'll say I never told him. Hannelore, I guess that is part of a communication problem. Country girl, I don't jabber, except on BWS, where I tend to go on and on. When MH talks it is always about sports, which I could care less about. I let him tell me what team is going to what play off, etc, but really, he's jabbering. I wish we would talk about other topics together, like spirituality.

#136774 - 01/06/08 04:23 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: Princess Lenora]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Same problem here...except, like the Princess, I don't jabber except here! In this relationship, it's my husband who's the talker...he can talk me under the table any day! I have to hope that he shuts up eventually at most times. BUT, we still have the same problem...his selective hearing and mine, too, I guess. He'll claim he tells me things when I just don't think he did!

#136775 - 01/06/08 07:32 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: ladyjane]
QBall101 Offline

Surely this isnt the 1st time this subject has come up here? My husband has the TV on loud all the time he's home which being retired is most o the time. It drives me insane to mention something "I heard" on his TV, & he has no clue what I'm talking about. GeezZZZ IF he's going to have it ON the least he could do is half as#ed pretend to listen to it & me. We can discuss what's for supper in the AM, decide and by 5:30pm he's asking me what's for supper? I am forever having to repete plans, to-do lists, etc to him. I suppose my worst peeve is him choosing a show I hate and then going to sleep. Today we had a talk about my going to the store, he said I was just going to get away from him. NOPE to escape the TV & sports or his fav WOW {Watching Old Western's} LOL So, I shot my self in my stubborn foot..I'm NOT going, so he took off on his ATV buggy to ride around the ranch. Crud, I got off topic, was I jabbering? LOL
At least I feel better.
QBall

#136776 - 01/06/08 07:35 PM Re: Husbands who don't listen! [Re: QBall101]
Princess Lenora Offline

LJ & QB, all I can say, to keep from jabbering, is 'DITTO' me too! Everything you said.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved