The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 107 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#135812 - 12/29/07 02:25 AM New eyes for same place, different seasons
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I never thought that having grey skies, snow on mountain rocks, etc. ...could be visually and artistically inspiring.

We are in interior British Columbia, went to mountains for a few days. Now we are down below in wineries country..where there are rows of skeletal, reddish branched vineyards, patches of orche/sienna fields and many black/grey rock/mountain faces with snow dusting undulating striations of rock layers and evergreen trees.

Strange. I actually find this monochromatic landscape just exciting just for ideas to paint, etc. Tooks tons of digital photos.

In summer, it's hot ochre, desert oriented with dry hot sun beating down, blue skies, dry hills, sagebrush and stunted trees.

Ok, ok mrs. madness I wouldn't want to live here..but there are lots of people who don't like where I do live...in downtown city core area.

#135813 - 12/29/07 04:03 AM Re: New eyes for same place, different seasons [Re: orchid]
LGood67334 Offline

Loc: California
I had a similar experience driving from California to Montana over Thanksgiving. The Nevada desert looks totally different under cloudy skies than it does under the blazing August sun, and the snow-laden firs coming across the Monida Pass and on into Missoula reminded me of a scene from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

I hope your paintings of British Columbia turn out beautifully.

Lynn

#135814 - 12/29/07 04:17 AM Re: New eyes for same place, different seasons [Re: LGood67334]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I've been noticing the different beauty even from my own windows...this is my first winter in this house...I moved in late summer...and loved the trees from my sunporch window...then they turned colors...and it was a whole different beauty...now they are bare...and I see the bark on the Poplar tree...it's very white and is especially beautiful when the sun is first lighting the sky...I'm enjoying getting to know the shape of the trees and seeing what's beyond them...

I wish I had your artist's ability...I'd paint the seasons!

Lynn...your trip sounds beautiful...I hope to see the area some day!

#135815 - 12/30/07 06:42 AM Re: New eyes for same place, different seasons [Re: LGood67334]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

the snow-laden firs coming across the Monida Pass and on into Missoula reminded me of a scene from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

A rather apt description here.
Now I realize why a good art instructor insists on teaching visual composition, perspective, line and shape by having the students only use a few basic "colours"...black, brown/sienna, grey, white and maybe ochre. Any more colours can distract the beginner's understanding.

I used to resent instructors like that...now...well, over 40 yrs. later, now I realize how right they were..

What a slow learner I am..

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved