The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#135808 - 12/28/07 11:03 PM Look to try ~ Menswear for women
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm back! Menswear for women is a look that is darling on everywoman and one I like to pull off a lot!
For my boomer sisters: Ideas:

The ideas that you can start with are these,

- One is the obvious and very hot suit: Wear a pair of pants, thin women may want to try baggier pants for a "boyfriend's pant,s" look, and other women may want to try chinos, with or without pleats. Make sure the pants fit well, not too tight, not too loose. You want to look like you are in a mans style pant so think of your Dad, you brother, your husband, or a friend and ask yourself, "do these pants look sort of like he wears?" If they do, those are the one! Next, take a shirt that fits fairly well. If you choose a white shirt, for example, make it a mans cut shirt, button down, and pocket in the front. Women's shirts are cut for a figure so don't borrow a man's shirt for this. It can hang long, or you can tuck it in. Both look nice but you want to have that button down look! Pair those with a vest, and for this you can go anywhere. Men's wear sections, boy's sections, women's sections or anywhere you can locate a vest. The vest can be a knit pullover, or a suit vest, it can be patterned if your shirt is one color or it can be solid. You can do this without a vest but with a vest, it is hot!
Next, grab your blazer! You use one of your old blazers from one of your suits or that black blazer you haven't worn in forever. Just grab yourself a blazer and throw it over the rest. This look can be done without a blazer too.
Last, grab a tie. Yes, a man's tie. Get one from anywhere, that's the idea! Get a skinny one if possible and use your dad's old one, go to a vintage store, grab one from your brother or husband, but get a tie and tie that baby around the neck of the shirt. If you wear a vest you can tuck it into a pull over vest or you can let a buttoned vest hand open and leave the tie hanging. Anyway you do it, you'll look adorable and feminine! You can leave your shirt out and leave the shirt tails to show if you wear a blazer over things or if you don't! You don't have to tuck that shirt in, remember that! You can mix and match this look with all sorts of colors and separates! Try buying a couple different pairs of pants and using what you already have for shirts, use vintage in vests, ties, and even a blazer if you like1 It's a cute, cute look. I don't know what everyone looks like but I would say that Orchid could "rock," this look in any combination she chooses! Princess Lenora, do this look with mixed colors and get yourself in a forest green shirt or vest if possible to make your color come out. I would recommend that you wear beige pants but never a white shirt, ecru, off white, is the color for your coloring! Dotsie, do this in black and white! Oh yes! I can see you in black and white and a powerhouse, but leave the shirt untucked! Cute! Lady Jane:
Use chino pants, a white shirt and a vest that is pullover and knit, that would look great on you. ( Yes, lady jane, the tie is important)

If you leave the tie off this will still work, just make sure you have the pieces in place.

Next:

The "boyfriend sweater," is hot right now!
Take a big, big sweater, even a men's sweater in large with a V neck. You can buy one of the new large sweaters or pick one up on sale after Christmas.
Throw a shirt under it and it can be any shirt because you are loungeing in this look and you want to look comfy. Just throw a shirt under it and you are set.
Next put your jeans on under it. OR, use your new pants for the Menswear under it. You can use tights if you want to show your legs but I'd use pants! A large V neck sweater is the best for this look or a crew neck sweater in a solid color. Most solid colors work for the look and it's called a "boyfriend's sweater," in fashion.

Another menswear look for a casual time is to wear your jeans and use a sport, like baseball, shirt on top but keep it tight. If you use a men's small or buy a size that is tight on you it will look very cute but the best way to look in jeans and menswear is if you use a striped shirt with no collar. A sailor type shirt if you will. It's very French Riveria to wear a orange striped shirt with no collar and a pair of jeans!

Jeans can be used in the first look too and will make it a dressed down suit.

Have you tried this?

If you dare to try this, you'll love it and your friends will too!

Combo's I like:
Penstriped pants, off white shirt, black vest or jacket
Beige Chinos, forest green shirt, grey vest or jacket
for evening: black pants, white silky fabric shirt, black vest or jacket
Navy blue pants or chinos, ecru (off white,) shirt, gray jacket or vest
Slouchy sweater of off white, soft fabric shirt of any color and jeans
Striped pants that are very, very loose, white shirt loosely hanging down and navy vest or jacket

LOL, fun stuff

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#135809 - 12/29/07 01:09 AM Re: Look to try ~ Menswear for women [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Interesting. I can't even wear a men's small nor extra-small. A man's very small size is still usually too big for me. Usually in the body side cut, length of sleeves.

About 10 yeas ago, I have bought and worn happily 2 men's dress small shirts (collar size, 15 inches)...out of desperation when I was cycling for 3 weeks in summer in sunny 35 degree (or 85+ F degree) weather. Bought used shirts at a local Salvation Army outlet on 3rd day of trip and wore them with rolled long sleeves...to protect my arms that already had lst degree sunburns.

I wore 1 of the men's dress shirts (white) for the next 10 years, whenever I went cycling for several hrs. on sunny summer days. Even wore it in Hawaii with a funny Hawaiian skort. Really, I have never worn aerobic/cropped fitness tank tops. I want to PRESERVE the smoothness of back and arm skin...away from sun.

Otherwise, occasionally will haunt teenage boys section. I know, a 48 yr. old woman wandering around there.. Tends be for sportswear/fitness wear -ie. loose hiking pants, fleecy jacket, etc. Part of the problem is teenage boys' wear still not cut for even small curves found a woman like myself.

#135810 - 12/29/07 02:06 AM Re: Look to try ~ Menswear for women [Re: orchid]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I used to shop in the boys department for shorts. They fit me and are cheaper. Thanks. I'd forgotten about that.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved