The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134296 - 12/10/07 01:18 AM Professional help
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Several have mentioned seeking council. Have you?
Have you seen a counselor?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted starting: 12/10/07 01:17 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Have you seen some sort of therapist?
You may choose only one

Have you seen a psychologist?
You may choose only one

Have you seen a psychiatrist?
You may choose only one

Did you think it was beneficial?
You may choose only one

Do you recommend it?
You may choose only one

#134297 - 12/11/07 02:03 AM Re: Professional help [Re: gims]
gims Offline

what exactly does a therapist do?

#134298 - 12/11/07 06:28 PM Re: Professional help [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Gimster, I'll try to explain what a therapist is: a psychiatrist can be a therapist. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor with additional training in psycho-therapy. The main difference between a psychiatrist and other therapists is that a psychiatrist can prescribe medications. These days, psychiatrists have taken on the expertise in evaluating a patient for the patient's need for medications such as anti-depressants. A regular physician can prescribe anti-depressants, but does not provide the "talk therapy" that comes along with psychiatry. Psychiatrists are often in positions of research and administration of major mental/behavioral units. Because their fees are the most expensive, there has been a movement toward the use of other providers of therapy. Social workers provide 65% of the therapy these days, because they are the least expensive, and HMO's and PPOs hire them for the patients that need "talk therapy." Social workers will consult with a psychiatrist in an "interdisciplinary" approach for a patient's care. Oh, sometimes patients in therapy are called "clients" especially if the patient is not also in medical care. A psychologist, with a doctorate, does evaluation of the patient, providing standardized testing to determine what, if any, illness the patient has, such as depression. A psychologist can also be trained and licensed as a psycho-therapist. Same is true of a social worker, who cannot practice psycho therapy without a masters, or doctorate, and licensing as well as other credentials. Besides talk therapy, therapy can also come in the form of art therapy, music therapy, etc. Therapists may have different approaches, such as cognitive therapy (your patterns of thinking) or behavioral therapy. It depends on their training which approach they use. Some therapists are trained in "crisis" therapy. I don't want to seem self-serving, but I would be remiss if I did not tell you this: my book takes place in the context of my therapy sessions. In other words, the reader of the book is like a "fly on the wall" as I go through the process of "talk therapy." For me, the process was life-changing for the better. The book "A Million Little Pieces" has brief exposure to his therapy sessions, but James Frey's focus is cynical throughout the process until much later in the book. As you can see from your poll, not only was therapy beneficial, but also it is recommended. I hope this answer to your question is helpful.

#134299 - 12/18/07 03:23 PM Re: Professional help [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gimster, another thing we shouldn't rule out these days is using a coach. It's becoming huge with women at midlife. Try Googling coach institute. You will find there are many that pertain to all topics imaginable. Just another thought. Coaches deal with the present and move you forward with goals. It's very proactive.

#134300 - 12/18/07 05:34 PM Re: Professional help
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
That's a great idea Dotsie. I will google this later when I have time. I am on break at work, but I want to keep up with this subject and add to it when I can. I'll take the survey later as well.

Thanks for bringing this up Gimster!

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

#134301 - 12/20/07 06:12 AM Re: Professional help [Re: Wisdom&Life]
gims Offline

Thanks big time, Princess. You gave me some information I truly need. I can use the info to get better care for my mom, I think.

Dotsie, I might scare a coach away. REALLY! But, I actually passed this suggestion on to my youngest daughter. I think it would be great for her.

Aren't these women great, cathi?

#134302 - 12/20/07 05:52 PM Re: Professional help [Re: gims]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
They certainly are Gimster and so are you! This is the best forum in the world no doubt about it, thanks Dotsie. It's the one place I can come to and make friends, not walk on eggshells and just have fun! I just wish I had more time to come here.

Love you all alot!

Cheers,
Cathi

#134303 - 12/21/07 07:13 AM Re: Professional help [Re: Wisdom&Life]
gims Offline

Back atchya, cathi...

#134304 - 12/23/07 01:13 AM Re: Professional help [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
We have life coaches in BWS and NABBW.

#134305 - 12/26/07 05:29 PM Re: Professional help [Re: Princess Lenora]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea think anno is one.

good poll gimster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved