The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133882 - 12/14/07 12:59 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
PRINCESS LEONORA, please do keep talking about yourself, we are heer for that type of support, as you said. Secondlie you so often have a wealth of experinces and wisdom, so plz do do do keep talking
cheers

#133883 - 12/14/07 06:00 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: celtic_flame]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Princess,I agree with Celtic!
You've SO much experience and knowledge to offer! It matters. If it matters to one, you have made a contribution and it does matter to many here! Please keep sharing. You are very knowledgable and have, it shows, worked on your own "stuff."
dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#133884 - 12/14/07 06:03 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: celtic_flame]
dancer9 Offline

Gimster,
What Celtic said!
dancer9

#133886 - 12/14/07 09:00 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
People of the Southern Baptist persuasion, Anne...
Being hypnotized supposedly opens the door for Satan to come in... is the way I was taught to believe, anyway.

Celtic, I have so tried to deprogram myself about many, many, many things. It's hard when it is so ingrained.

#133887 - 12/14/07 09:04 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: celtic_flame]
gims Offline

Princess, I don't know if you understand how important your input is. There was a segment on Fox news this morning about boomer suicides. Boomers between the ages of 40 and 54 are taking that route at a record high, according to the report. It makes me feel not so alone, but saddens me so at the same time, leaving me wondering what in the world did this piece of our generation not get in their nurturing years... or was it WWII, Korea, Nam, global news rushing in on us like no other time... worse still, the loss of our "moral compass"?

#133888 - 12/14/07 11:25 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: gims]
dancer9 Offline

Gimster,
It could be, or part of it could be that we were, those born in those years, were "Yuppies." We were taught that getting ahead and putting off families, as well as doing well in business was the definition of a good life. The Yuppies came after the Hippies but were boomers too. I was partially a "yuppie," or an Italian Yuppie. The main focus was on doing WELL in business, dressing WELL, owning the BEST and cocaine was the drug of choice, not pot, which was a hippie thing. Cocaine was used to stay up and work, party hard and get ahead. No one wanted children until after they were 30 and again, "making it," was what society wanted from that age group.

It could be that they are disappointed with what they tried to gain, or did not "make it in the big time," and can't deal with it. It could be that they drove themselves and now that they have to slow down and accept aging, they are losing it!
Those ages, as I said, were Yuppies and drove themselves crazy with work. I worked SO hard and saw all my peers give up everything for success. I did not, I had my child, but they did not approve of my choice at my age.

dancer9

#133889 - 12/14/07 11:47 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: gims]
dancer9 Offline

Wow, Gimster.
I didn't know anyone believed that!
dancer.

#133890 - 12/15/07 01:48 AM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Celtic, I have been under the impression that hypnotherapy is not good for the client/patient when the client/patient is being rushed and pushed into remembering. I can agree with hypnotherapy as a part of regular talk therapy, but not INSTEAD of talk therapy. As you said, an additional tool. Yes, you said it well, that a patient/client has to be able to have an established rapport and trust with the therapist. Dancer shared that she was given hypnotherapy to remember her witness to a murder. I imagine that sudden, forced remembering could be a shock to the system. Hey, Gimster, I wonder if whomever told you that hypnotherapy opened the door for the devil to come in were in a conspiracy to make sure you did not remember what they did not want you to remember. Hypnotherapy in its clear form has nothing to do with good and evil, or religion. Like Celtic said, it is a tool to help a person get in touch with herself, in additional to more gentle approaches, such as talk therapy. As far as our generation and suicide, I heard that news too. Do you remember "duck and cover" drills? I was in only 3rd grade, and we had to hear a siren, then duck under our desks and cover our heads with our arms, in case the communists dropped on bomb. Talk about the end of the world! Yikes! Talk about scared to death. No wonder I did not think I would live past my teens! And today, kids have to worry that a gunman will come into the school. Not some abstract communist event, but the gunman may even be someone they are going to school with. We did not have metal detectors in our school. We had hall monitors that scouted the lavatories for those smoking pot! You know, illegal or not, smoking pot seems much more benign than carrying guns to school

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/15/07 01:55 AM)

#133891 - 12/15/07 01:57 AM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

I'm on the upper end of the 40 to 54 (right past the higher mark) and I'd consider myself more of a hippie than a yuppie, even though I've been called a yuppie many times. I use to love wearing hip huggers with the sash belt. Halter tops, too - with no bra. Long straight hair, parted in the middle. Peace sign on a leather strap... didn't have this, but wanted one. I never did drugs... had my first drink at age 23... never partied hardy... just a fuddy dud here, but still from the hippie age... maybe I lived vicariously through my siblings that did truly fit the mold.

You might be right about the reason behind the suicide rate in this age group, dancer. How sad that would be if that is the case. Materialistic mob mentality. Another reason could be that those that fall in this age group all received and experienced so much, so early with no real "shoulder to the plow" that the prior generations had to go through. Generation after generation (on the whole) are bettered as benefactors as the ages roll... things are easier in so many ways, so much so that they feel entitled instead of feeling they must and are willing to do anything to earn something.

#133892 - 12/15/07 09:12 PM Re: Your views and experiences [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I'm on the upper end of the 40 to 54 (right past the higher mark) and I'd consider myself more of a hippie than a yuppie, even though I've been called a yuppie many times. I use to love wearing hip huggers with the sash belt. Halter tops, too - with no bra. Long straight hair, parted in the middle. Peace sign on a leather strap... didn't have this, but wanted one. I never did drugs... had my first drink at age 23... never partied hardy... just a fuddy dud here, but still from the hippie age... maybe I lived vicariously through my siblings that did truly fit the mold.

You might be right about the reason behind the suicide rate in this age group, dancer. How sad that would be if that is the case. Materialistic mob mentality. Another reason could be that those that fall in this age group all received and experienced so much, so early with no real "shoulder to the plow" that the prior generations had to go through. Generation after generation (on the whole) are bettered as benefactors as the ages roll... things are easier in so many ways, so much so that they feel entitled instead of feeling they must and are willing to do anything to earn something.

I'm not convinced that even though some of us fall into certain generations/age groups that we would think in certain ways as a group, ie. sense of entitlement.

Though I am a later boomer,(I will be 49 next month), I didn't fully experience the liberation, braless, experiment abit with drugs, etc. I was raised by more strict parents.

As for generations not working as hard as previous generations...it depends at what point in time, a person is in family generation history...

Over and over, repeatedly I've met many children when growing up, and also children 2 generations younger than us, who are first or 2nd generation in North America. There's alot of those from these type of family circumstances who feel they haven't experienced mainstream, popular culture / great social revolution until ...in their 30's. Not in their teens nor 20's.

Alot don't feel a sense of entitlement, but they can get very angry / frustrated. Directing that anger can manifest in different results: 1) work your butt off or 2) get into criminal activity to get money illegally because of group materialistic mentality ....etc.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved