The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#131959 - 11/15/07 12:53 PM 32 years ago yesterday...
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
we lost our beloved mother to cancer. My older sisters were 22, 21, I was 18, my brother 16. It was life-changing for us all, needless to say.

Dad did not do well for a long time. He retreated and did not speak for many, many months. He did, eventually, go to counseling. But sadly, back then, we did not have "grief counseling", per se. I wish they did.

Mom was the breadwinner of the family, as Dad was blind with macular degeneration from his mid-30's. We had tough times after Mom's death.

The good that came out of this was I was able to go to college for free with grants. We had to pay nothing..but I'd rather have had my Mommy back with us.

Last evening, I phoned Dad as a "memorial phone call". He said he has dreams of Mom. That broke me to tears. There is not ONE day that passes my life where I do not remember something Mom did, said, cooked, etc. We are in communication with her best friend from back then. They were both young mothers at the time with "all these kids". Four of us, and she had 7. They used to cart us all, the "gang" as they affectionately labeled us, to amusement parks, beach trips, picnics, bowling etc. We had such fun and wonderful, wonderful memories.

To this day, I miss those times so much. Don't ever think that kids up to the age of 18 are NOT watching...they are!

My mother very much a "hands on" mother: participating in PTA bake sales; was a coach for our girl's softball league;
Took us everywhere and taught us so much.

She was a stay-home mom until Dad lost his sight. Thankfully by then we were pretty much grow up enough to take care of ourselves when we came home for lunch from school. (no school buses then and we lived a few blocks away)

Each lunchtime we always left us a note: T. P. D. J...love M. Often times her notes included what was in the refrigerator to eat, what dessert was waiting, or to "turn off the sauce". Don't know how she did it, but she'd leave the spaghetti sauce turned on low all morning and we'd turn it off. Amazing!

So, my mother, Sally Ann, is one that will live within me forever. She was loved by so many and a friend to all. Her joking ways and laughter permeated any gathering. She was a barrel of laughs and not too often you would find her very serious.

She and Dad were deeply in love...and they loved their children. They instilled in all of us to "stay together", as we have all these years. We all are close, even though we live so far apart. I phone Dad often...he will be 80 in February.

Mommy, I wish I could crawl up on your lap and cry when I need. Recalling your dream for me was to be a Mommy with all those baby dolls I had, I wish I knew how you'd help me to cope with being a childless woman. It hurts often and I still need you so much!

Mom, .Nov. 23, 1931 - Nov. 14, 1975

You spent your "dash" creating and nurturing four beautiful children and imprinting a life-long deep devotion in the love of your life....Daddy.

I will always love you.

#131960 - 11/15/07 01:05 PM Re: 32 years ago yesterday... [Re: Di]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Di, after such a beautiful tribute, I didn't even know if I should write anything here. It's very sacred. There is not one sister on this board that has lost her Mom that won't relate somehow. You had a beautiful mother and are left with wonderful memories. Those were the days, weren't they? No matter what, mothers are one of the hardest losses ever. We never, ever leave them behind for one day as your beautiful tribute mentions. My mom has been gone for just 2 years but because of her Alzheimer's, she was gone a lot longer than that, one thing at a time. ((((((Di)))))) Perhaps your mom has read these words and knows your hurt. The best thing we can do is leave our good legacy behind...if not to children, then to many others.

#131961 - 11/15/07 01:41 PM Re: 32 years ago yesterday... [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Di, in reading this beautiful outpouring of love and devotion, you have reminded me of how grateful I am to be for my Mom who is still with me. Thank you for having the courage to share this with the world. You've made me bow my head and thank the good Lord above for one more day with Mom. God love you for doing this! I know I do!

#131962 - 11/15/07 02:09 PM Re: 32 years ago yesterday... [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thank you for sharing Di.
I understand
ountain ash

#131963 - 11/15/07 02:31 PM Re: 32 years ago yesterday... [Re: Mountain Ash]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Words are not enough for me to reach out to you Di,
thank you for your beautiful memorial. I pray that God will hold you close.

#131964 - 11/15/07 10:17 PM Re: 32 years ago yesterday... [Re: Countrygirl]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Di,

A very beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved