The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#130160 - 11/15/07 09:55 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
I'm sticking you in my suitcase as we speak. Miss GJaw (related to hee haw!) and you fit just fine. Want to share my new things for authors with you. Dotsie mentioned I should. I worried that you'd think I was trying to SELL you something. I declined. Then I figured that for 49c, even if I WERE trying to sell something, you'd forgive me. Anyone out there about ready to to try to sell (oooohhhh, that word! Guess we all have to do it sometime!) their book? If so, this will save you time and money--excepting for the 49cents. It's brand new. You'll see. I picked this up from my newsletter:

So, this is it. My new Amazon Short. Didn't they do a great job of the cover? Uriah Carr took the photo.

Note that the reason I did this as a short is that there are lots of other books on writing proposals out there. The thing is, writers generally hate to write proposals. They don't even much want to learn about writing them. So, why a whole book when you can do it in 20 minutes or less? The introduction to the short will give you the whole story behind the writing of it and in the body of this mini book you'll have the makings of a Great First Impression Book Proposal: Everything You Need to Sell Your Book in Twenty Minutes or Less. for only 49 cents. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000YG6O5U/

I kid you not. It's more frugal than a pen or a can of soup. In a way, it's my gift to you.

Let me know how this process goes. This is, after all, a sneak peak, a sneak purchase! And you'll have what you need to not only get an agent or a publisher but also to plan your next book and get a handle on its future. Guess the cover won't take for you to see it but you can use the link to see it. (The photo is by Uriah Carr, a photographer friend of mine.) (-:

So, talk to you all soon.

Best,
C.
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop

#130161 - 11/16/07 12:46 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I just bought it Ms C....you're right, I love the photo. What a deal for .49 cents. Even I can afford that one! Wuhoo...Now I'm off to read it. Have a grand time!

#130162 - 11/16/07 04:06 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm ordering it too. Sounds very amazing and easy. Looking forward to hearing your knowledge here.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#130163 - 11/20/07 02:42 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Dianne]

Dianne, welcome to the conversation. And thanks to both your and G for gorgeious JawJaw.

I have to tell you all that I love you. No one would go through what I went through to get back on this forum fomr somewhere in that death triangle in the Caribbean! There must be some truth to the myth--at least as far as passwords go!
So, I see no more question but we can sure talk book proposals next time I get back on, if you want. And, of course the editing for those said proposals.

Editing still being my favorite topic these days. That doesn't mean I have forgotten about projotion. I did mention that editing is a huge part of your marketing effort, didn't I? Ahem!

Oh, BTW, Dianne, love those shoes!! And envious of them, too. I went to flats long ago.

Best,
Carolyn
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop

#130164 - 11/20/07 06:12 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Carolyn and welcome.
I'm not a writer, not really anything.
My question is, why is this, http://www.carolynhowardjohnson.redenginepress.com/ ,
and your blogspot link not in your signature?

That question didn't come off sounding rude, did it?

#130165 - 11/25/07 03:43 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: gims]

Not at all, Gimster, whatcha doing here? (-: Maybe you're a closet writer. Ha!

The reason that address is not on anything recent is because that whole blog concept has been replaced on Blogspot by www.authorscoalition.blogspot.com. It is a book fair-focused blogs, one that helps authors who are participating in any of the fairs Authors' Coalition sponsors (whether as a signing author or only in the promtions associated with our booths) to connect. A record if you will. We make it public as a service so other writers can learn from it. So, if that blog interested you, go to the blogspot one instead. (-:

I will be rworking the entire Authors' Coalition site (www.authorscoalitionandredenginepress.com) this December and one of the things I'll do is take that blog down. Thank you for reminding me. (-;

Best,
Carolyn

#130166 - 11/25/07 03:45 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]

Everyone:
Back again. Had a wonderful trip. Thank you call for being patient. (-: So, do you want to discuss book fairs 'cause Gimster got us started on them in the post above?

Best,
Carolyn

#130167 - 11/26/07 10:53 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]

Saundra reminded me in a private mail that you all need my e-mail address to request the freebie handout I use for one of my UCLA classes. Duhhh.... It is: HoJoNews@aol.com. Be sure to be very clear it is a Boomer request in the subject line. (-:

Best,

#130168 - 11/27/07 01:37 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Carolyn, why not discuss the book fairs? Please do elaborate! While I have found book signings to be somewhat of a hit and miss, book fairs seem to be well attended and can brings lots of rewards. What is your opinion?

#130169 - 11/27/07 05:20 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]

First of all, Hi to Marilyn who ways she has been lurking.

To answer your question, J. J. Yes, book fairs can be extremely valuable. Authors' Coalition (the group I founded) sponsors several across the nation. The reason I founded it was based on experiences with book fairs. I found, like everything else, that book fairs work if you work them. I also do a blog explaining just what AC (Authors Coalition--www.authorscoalitionandredenginepress.com) does with their booths. It is www.authorscoalition.blogspot.com. There is also a chapter on how to make books fairs successful in The Frugal Book Promoter. I know many of you have that and can just refer to it but anyone else is welcome to e-mail me and I'll copy the chapter to you. My e-mail is HoJoNews@aol.com.

In my opinion one of the best things you can do to propel traffic to your booth at a book fair is to finagle a speaking spot with the fair planners. Short of that, give away something (another book?) with the purchase of your book, as an example. Media releases that you'll be there. And invitations!!! And get whoever you know locally to send invitations, too.

If you don't do these things or pair with an organization (or other authors) to do them, you won't find them super successful in terms of sales or anything else. i. e. I am lukewarm on anything, including book fairs, that you don't promote like crazy.

BTW, anyone interested in the details on the coming LATimes/UCLA Festival of Books details (how to participate even if you can't be in LA) contact me. HoJoNews@aol.com.
This fair draws more than 135,000 people in two days and those people include movie people like producers, screenwrtiers, etc. I GIVE quite a few of my novels away to likely prospects at that fair.

Any questions? What have YOUR experiences been. Let's name a few fairs that were good. Oh! BTW, on my website you will find a whole list of bookfairs for you to consider. Click on the Resources for Writers page. Then click on the book fair list. www.howtodoitfrugally.com.

Love, C.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved