The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#130140 - 11/09/07 06:41 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Georgia, yes, these are really formatting problems and many writers don't think that's part of their business. Obviously, it is. The reason that the double space at the end of the sentence changed is that there is something called kerning. It used to be done by the linotype operators who set the type and double spaces helped the letters look nicer on the page. Now computers do that for us. It's really tough for those of us who learned to type...mmmmm, a thousand years ago, to adjust to. You can use the find feature in your Word program to replace all double spaces with single ones. The step by step directions are in the Frugal Editor, for those who aren't tech savvy and don't know Find from Replace from...you know what. (-:

To help formatting, we should also remove the space at the end of paragraphs. It's only natural that writers would type one in 'cause the end of the paragraph is almost 100% of the time, the end of a sentence.

Maybe you can use that Find trick when you're editing your submissions. I know you have a copy of TFE, so you can look it up in the index I slaved over. BTW, anyone have any indexing questions?

Oh, and PS: May I use your comment/question for my brand new editing-focused blog. I mean it is new. The first post isn't even up but you can check it out at www.thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com. I think it will be useful to authors. Sort of an ongoing Q&A tutorial on editing. (-:

Best,
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop

#130141 - 11/10/07 01:47 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yes, by all means use it. We don't edit other people's work. I spend some extra time emailing them back giving an explanation about the sentence ending simply because I know that most writers aren't aware of it. BUT...if we are extremely busy, we have no choice except to reject their work. Its a shame, too.

#130142 - 11/10/07 01:52 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Carolyn,
In thinking more about this, I'm wondering if you, as a professor, and a writer, find that people will submit sloppy work to you? In other words, maybe their essay, manuscript or whatever, hasn't even been edited, contains misspelled words, and errors. Do you see a lot of this with submissions?

If so, how do you handle it?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Two-part question. I just thought of something else I wanted to ask. Do you also find that some writers are under the impression that once they get a publisher, they can wash their hands of any marketing efforts? That they really do believe they don't play a part in the marketing?

Thanks!

Edited by jawjaw (11/10/07 01:54 AM)

#130143 - 11/10/07 06:31 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Three parts now....Oh where oh where forth art thou?

I've been thinking about the indexing. A lot of beginning writers aren't sure exactly what you're referring to here, would you mind giving a little bit of info on indexing? Its purpose, where they can learn more about it, your words of advice? Many thanks!

#130144 - 11/10/07 08:07 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]

I know. As people get busier, they can't baby people along. It happens with promotion, too. If someone sends me a query and don't include the information (you know, an autosignature that doesn't even take any additional work), I might move on to the next so I don't have to ask, wait, ask again. On the other hand, one of the things I do when facilitating writers workshops is have them write with absolutely no intent to edit. Get the juices flowing. The creativity. Then go back to the editing part. (-:

Best,
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop

#130145 - 11/10/07 08:12 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]

Let's see. Part #1.
One of the agents I interviewed for The Frugal Editor was adorable. She said that she doesn't toss a query if there are errors in it, that it is her job to find great work, great potential. I tend to agree. Having said that, the busier agents (or anyone else) gets, the harder it is to be patient--and helpful. So, yes I try. And, sometimes, no I don't.

The other thing is that if an editor/teacher/publicist/whatever has been given the authority to intervene, that is one thing. But I rarely give advice unasked for. I'd like to. I'd like to be helpful. But I don't. Some just don't take it very well. (-;

Part II, oh, I have to go back and read it again. My old brain isn't what it used to be.

C.

#130146 - 11/10/07 08:17 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]

Two-part question. I just thought of something else I wanted to ask. Do you also find that some writers are under the impression that once they get a publisher, they can wash their hands of any marketing efforts?
----
Heck yes. It's possible that an author can make it without marketing. It used to happen once in a while. I can't think of a time it's happened recently. For one thing, they predicted 180,000 books with ISBNs would be published last year. It hit something like 280,000. I don't care who your publisher is, you'd better get out there and help them. BTW, I'm finding Amazon a big help in promoting my books these days. I'm not quite sure what the instigator is, but I keep getting letters from people who got notices about my book from Amazon. They always use some kind of interest-connection, but they're doing it. So, don't ignore Amazon is your marketing efforts.

Best, C.

#130147 - 11/10/07 08:23 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: jawjaw]

Everyone. Look in the back of your books. Your texts. Your nonfiction books. That's the index. And indexing is growing because of the attitude (that attitude scares me by the way) that only the truth has any value. So people use indexes to find information, to find resources, etc. AND, even books like historical romances are beginning to use them (or adaptations of them) because people want to know what was based on fact and what is fiction. So, this is not a subject that pertains only to nonfcition writers. And maybe that's the reason that some of our forum visits were wondering. Fiction writers--in the past--didn't have to worry about them. The Frugal Editor addresses indexing, give resources for handling indexing yourself or hiring it done by a professional. BTW, libaries are really BIG on indexes. If you want libraries to love you book--especially nonfiction--you'd better not skimp on the index.

Best,
c.

#130148 - 11/10/07 08:57 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
You send the work back just because of a double space at the end of a sentence, JJ? Well then...that could explain why my queries aren't even being read...maybe? I am disapointed that something technical is more important then what is written. I bet some great written works are missed because of that.

#130149 - 11/10/07 09:28 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hannelore, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't...when you have clear guidelines, and when you have over 100 entires to judge, you have to give first due to the ones that made the effort to be error free.

I NEVER send anything back without an explanation. If they chose to RESEND (and they are given that option), then we gladly accept them again. WE TELL EVERYONE that we don't want them to miss out. Give us a little credit....we're a pretty good outfit, me thinks.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved