The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#12981 - 05/18/05 03:33 AM A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Things like this don't normally happen to me, probably because I don't make them happen. As some of you know, I've had problems with my face skin for years. Chatty's regime of baby soap and olive oil worked really well for several weeks. But two weeks ago, a huge ugly, itchy, blotchy red patch appeared on my right cheek. So after much begging (that's what it took), my GP finally referred me to a dermatologist. But the earliest appointment was the end of July.

Then this week I received an invitation to speak on a local TV program at noon on June 7th. Very exciting, except for this horrible blotchy thing on my face...I can barely touch it, it's so sore...and I definitely can't put makeup on it right now. This afternoon I was watching Oprah and saw the things a dermatologist can do to clear up messy skin. So I picked up the phone (which is VERY hard for me to do...it's almost to the point of being called a phone-phobia) and called the dermatologist to explain about the TV interview, and the problem with my skin, and to ask if she could put me on her cancellation skin. Well, she said it was my lucky day, because someone had JUST called ten minutes ago to cancel an appointment for this Thursday. I couldn't believe it. Like I said, "lucky breaks" like this rarely happen to me!

So I thought I should share this surprising and delightful answer to a fervent prayer! I don't know if she can fix my face before June 7th, but just getting this appointment so soon was gift enough!

#12982 - 05/18/05 03:50 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am so sorry to hear about your facial problem but this sounds like something on the inside working its way out. I am certainly no dermatologist and would be eager to hear her prognosis if its not too private. God bless and congrats on the TV show.

#12983 - 05/18/05 10:44 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, congrats on landing a show. Don't forget to ask for a tape. Also, have someone taping at home.

Don't worry about the face. Let your words be your drawing card. I know they can be after reading your thoughtful posts.

Whatever you do, don't use toothpaste on your face. Not that you would. A friend of my daughter's slept with it on her zit. It burned her skin.

#12984 - 05/19/05 12:05 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Eagle, I think the television station will have someone to help you with any problems you might have with your face when you get there. If you ask they always seem more than willing to help. And they know what to do cause they do it for the news anchors, etc. all the time.
Don't worry. Be happy. Just light the world up with your smile.
smile

#12985 - 05/19/05 03:04 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you for your kind words of support. I'll know a bit more about what to expect in regard to my face after my appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow (hooray, finally!)

Chatty, I'll definitely let you know what diagnosis she ends up making.

Dotsie, I'm glad you told me about the toothpaste...it had actually crossed my mind in the past couple of weeks to try it. I don't know why; I seem to remember reading somewhere that toothpaste was good for something other than teeth, but couldn't remember what, so didn't want to use it unless I was sure it wouldn't damage the skin even more. There were days this past week when I couldn't even touch it, all I could do was splash water on it and then let it air dry.

As luck would have it, it's clearing up...duh, doesn't that always happen just when you're finally getting in to see a doctor about a chronic problem, it disappears just in time for the appointment! But we took lots of pictures, so I can show her what it's normally like.

Smile, thank you for your kind words! What a lovely vision, to hope that even just one person's day or life could be brightened and encouraged by what we talk about in that interview.

#12986 - 05/19/05 03:12 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Eagle good luck with the appointment AND the TV interview! The bright red patch you speak of sounds a lot like what I experienced last Spring as an allergic reaction. My hubby and I had spread fertilizer on the entire yard and dummy me took our cat out for his usual walk and when carrying him back inside the house, he touched my face with his paw (and the back of my neck, my arm, and hand) - in very short order I had a terrible bright, itchy, red, MISERABLE rash on those areas. I realized what had happened but it was too late to do much about it except take Benadryl and use cortisone cream.

I've always had skin problems - including skin cancer three times - so I can empathize with you!

Hopefully this is just some kind of allergic reaction and since you said it's going away, perhaps that's what the dermatologist will say...I'll be interested to hear.....glad you are willing to share what you find out.

#12987 - 05/19/05 05:50 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Eagle, I have used tooth paste to clean silver jewelry with good results =) and if you have an old Oral B attachment for an electric toothbrush, even better!

Congratulations on your show and just be the treasure you are!

#12988 - 05/20/05 12:46 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Toothpaste works wonders on the ivory keys of a old piano or organ.
Pam was the skin cancer on you face or other area? How did you recognize it?
Eagle, a TV appearance excites me to no end. Oprah next? Good luck with your debut.

chick

#12989 - 05/20/05 01:30 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

Squamous cell carcinoma and a basal cell on my face, and melanoma on my leg. Recognized them ALL because although different "types" of cancer, they were similar in the early stage. Very small skin irritations that wouldn't heal - in the case of the melanoma it was a freckle on my calf that grew in size. It pays to know your skin (!) - look in the mirror at all your parts (even if you don't want to!!) so you can recognize something NEW. Ask your doctor about anything that you are concerned about - it's SOOOOOOOO easy to take care of most skin cancers if caught early.

BUT - let's all celebrate our Eagle's soaring high with the TV gig and pray that her skin irritation is just that....an irritation and nothing more!!

#12990 - 05/20/05 03:18 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Pamela, I'm glad you shared your experience of skin cancer...being so fair-skinned, I'm always nervous about one of my "very small skin irritations" turning deadly. It never hurts to be more aware of what to look for.

I saw the dermatologist today...my regular GP had diagnosed me years ago with rosacea, but didn't tell me a whole lot about it or that we were supposed to be treating it on a regular basis, not just when it flared up. Apparently, rosacea is incurable, and gets progressively worse without regular daily treatment, so it's a good thing I wouldn't give up trying to see the dermatologist!

She reaffirmed and further explained the rosacea diagnosis and put me on low-dose tetracyclene and special topical cream. She thinks that by starting right away, it should be clear by the time I appear on TV...even if it's only for 4 minutes, I'd still rather that my words and message shine, not my red cheeks!

Chickadee, shortly after arriving here at BWS, I put together a montage of three pictures - of Oprah, my book and me - and typed in big bold letters "This Will Happen - Believe It". Underneath it, I keep adding the names of other Boomer Women. It's hanging on my computer desk. People laugh at it, but I don't care. It WILL happen, not just for me, but for Dotsie and the rest of us Boomer Women!

#12991 - 05/20/05 03:46 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

You just keep thinking positively Eagle....! I think it's a great idea to have a visual reminder of your dream. I will NOT be surprised if you get a call from Oprah one of these days.

I'm SO glad you went to the dermatologist and got on medication for the rosacea. My sister has that. I'm betting that your message WAY WAY WAY outshines your cheeks!!!!!

Hugs

#12992 - 05/22/05 04:59 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Eagle --

I'm sure you will be BEAUTIFUL for the show [Smile]

Like smile pointed out -- news achors have "problem skin" too so the staff may even have some good ideas for you.

Rosacea seems to be one of those "little known, little talked about, skin problems" that almost everyone knows someone that has it. But with society's thoughts on "its all about beauty" it can be very earth shaking to some people. It's just one of "my little thoughts" but maybe that "lucky phone call" wasn't all about the tv show. Perhaps someone you come in contact with in the near future will benefit from your diagnosis -- maybe a potential suicide will be thwarted -- or a young girl will decide to go to her prom --because you say -- I have rosacea and life goes on [Wink]

GOOD LUCK lady !!! keep us posted

#12993 - 05/22/05 05:14 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
smilinize Offline

We'll all pray for you on June 7. And just look back at the posts. God is listening.
smile

#12994 - 05/22/05 08:51 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks again everyone. Smile, we'll have to switch those prayers to June 8...the TV station called and asked me to come June 8th instead of the 7th.

Lionspaaw, thank you for your insights about the rosacea thing possibly being part of the message...it can be very hard on the self-esteem to have a face covered in red itchy blotches. I'm able to cope reasonably well most of the time, but I'm sure there are younger women out there who might have the same problem but not have the life-experience yet to recognize that life isn't a beauty pageant, that there's more to us than our exterior lumps and bumps and battle scars.

What's interesting about the timing of your insight (I only read it a few moments ago) is that I'm in the process of deciding to give up the tetracycline, and just go on the show with my face the way it is. The medication is brutal on my system. I take it first thing in the morning, throw up a few times, then remain nauseated for most of the day. I only start to feel better just in time for the next dose. I think I'd rather be red and blotchy than throwing up all over the stage!

And maybe I can create a way to work that rosacea diagnosis into the discussion as yet another problem to deal with in my on-going struggle with day to day self-esteem issues and depression. If anything we suffer helps another person suffer less, then for me it makes it worth having to cope with.

#12995 - 05/22/05 11:18 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

That's a great idea - to just not worry about the rosacea being present for the TV appearance - your willingness to be "up front" about it may inspire someone else in some way. I love your attitude! Your statement about life not being a beauty pageant was quite apt....my attitude towards "all things beautiful" has changed SO MUCH as I've crept towards the "big 60"!

I'll be thinking about you on the 8th and knowing that you will be spectacular - even if you happen to have "overly pink" cheeks in front of the television cameras...you will be AWESOME.

#12996 - 05/23/05 02:43 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

I agree with Pam - your attitude is GREAT !!

Do you think you're having an allergic reaction to the tetracycline? It would be nice for you if you could find some meds that will clear this up. I'd give my doctor a call and see if he/she can give you something else.

No matter how mature our attitude is -- it's always nice to please ourselves when we look in the mirror ;-)

#12997 - 05/23/05 04:29 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Pam and Lionspaaw. I tried a new approach with the tetracyline today. Since my stomach is already unsettled first thing in the morning, I decided to switch the pill to 11:00, an hour before lunch. And I reduced the dosage to one pill instead of two, just to see what the reaction would be. It wasn't as bad as before, but there's still nausea and now some red itchy bumps appearing in odd places. So I'll have to stop taking it and check with the doctor to see if there's something else out there that's not so strong.

I agree Lionspaaw...as sincere as I am in trying to put things in a positive light, (sigh) it would be nice to, just once, look in the mirror and be pleased with what and who's looking back at me, without having to go delving deep behind the blotchy face and past all the tempting negative self-talk.

#12998 - 05/23/05 04:42 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
smilinize Offline

This may be no help at all, but once I was in a similar position with a zit just before a big party.
A beautician told me to use the old fashioned (non mint type) Preparation H. I got some and put it on repeatedly for a whole day and night. Just rubbed it very gently and by the time of the party, the zit was gone.
Apparently it has something to remove swelling and irritation that really worked. Later I tried it again for some emergency and whatever I bought was not the same oily stuff I used at first and it had some kind of minty stuff in it that only made the zit worse.
If you can find the old fashioned oily stuff it might help.
Just a thought.
smile

#12999 - 05/24/05 03:15 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Smile, I might go find some and keep it handy just in case I need it for June 8th. Surely it will be more pleasant than the tetracyline!

#13000 - 05/24/05 03:37 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ex President Clinton was plagued by serious Rosecea on his face and nose and used theatrical make-up whenever he had a TV appearance so it can be covered up successfully.... [Cool]

#13001 - 05/24/05 03:54 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

I bet there are a LOT of people we see on TV that have skin problems -- just watch the infomercials.

There is some very nice makeup - all natural - that I posted about once before. It's helped my red lines and age spots on my face. You can buy samples for $5.00 (and $5.00 s/h) and they last for quite awhile. I usually order two samples at a time because the shipping is still $5.00.

Pam - did you ever try it? If so, did it work for you?

Here's the link http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/youngblood.htm

They ship immediately and priority mail so you should be able to get it by the end of the week. Heck - it's better than Preparation H -- tee hee.

#13002 - 05/24/05 04:43 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

...and probably looks a lot better sitting out on the bathroom counter too!

#13003 - 05/24/05 06:37 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Eagle, how exciting, you going on TV! How did the station hear of you? Did a press release about your book capture their attention? As for anti-biotics, when I had acne, I used a topical anti-biotic that did not have to go through my system. Maybe this hard to get dermatologist can switch you to topical? You mentioned a cream. Is that also an anti-biotic? By the way, you have my permission to add my pic from my site to your visualization board! Then Oprah can put our books under everyone's chair! Love and Light, Lynn

#13004 - 05/24/05 06:41 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Eagle, one of the ways I was told to combat nausea in the am during chemo was to pop a plain frozen waffle into the toaster. I still do that to reduce am queasiness: a plain old unbuttered Eggo waffle from the freezer to the toaster. It worked for me, at least to be able to get something in my stomach

#13005 - 05/24/05 07:05 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Hi Lynn, nice to hear your voice...does your presence here tonight come by way of reward or realization that you belong here with or without memoir in tow? Either way, it's good to "see" you again!

About the TV spot...two weeks ago, I got a rare burst of energy and decided to use it productively before it disappeared again. So I sent out dozens of book-emails to various mental health agencies here in Canada, as well as to local tv/radio stations. I sold about 12 books that week, and received an immediate response back from one tv station, much to my surprise and delight!

The hard-to-get-to dermatologist (I've also decided in retrospect that she was a bit snarky and somewhat passive-aggressive) did give me a topical anti-biotic cream, so I don't feel too concerned about giving up the pill. I just couldn't stomach that queasiness. It was getting to the point that I wasn't keeping any food down at all. I made up for it today though...have been eating my way through my next-door neighbour's housewarming party leftovers all day!

As for the early morning queasiness, there's not much I can tolerate first thing in the morning. Way back during my breakdown in the 80's, I became severely anorexic, dropping to 89 pounds. Much of my inability to eat was because of severe queasiness in the morning, so I couldn't keep down any breakfast so stopped trying to eat any, then would become so hungry I would get nauseated at the sight of any food, and then it kept snowballing until I wasn't eating at all.

After an emergency meeting with a nutritionist, I buckled down and forced myself to eat breakfast, but the only thing I could eat was a scrambled egg. It gradually became a "mind over matter" thing, until it became so automatic that I didn't even have to think about it. I would get up in the morning and cook that egg and swallow it down without even flinching. But for many years, I couldn't NOT have that egg. I couldn't stomach anything else.

Now years later, I'm definitely not anorexic, but still have that problem with not being able to face food first thing in the morning. But I have to, because I can't ever let myself go down that dangerous road again. So I still have to have an egg every morning. Everyone we visit knows I have to have that egg, so it's rarely a problem, especially with McDonald's around just about every corner!

Oddly enough, the only other thing I can stomach first thing in the morning is cold pizza...if I know there's a left-over piece of Pizza Hut's Edge pizza in the fridge, I can't stay in bed the next morning. I have to rush out of bed, forget the shower, and have that pizza for breakfast - go figure that one out!!

#13006 - 05/28/05 07:16 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I'm sorry to hera about your bout with anorexia. How did you overcome that. I have a counselor friend who specializes in eating disorders. She was telling me that they are becoming more prominent in baby boomers. These are women who have never suffered from them in the past. It's so scary. A childhood friend almost lost her life to the disease in college.

How's your face? When are you on television? It must be getting close.

[ May 27, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#13007 - 05/28/05 07:07 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, my anorexia was probably more about poverty and stress than it was about a mangled body image, which seems to be more common for women who are anorexic. It's a long story how I got to that "place" (it's all in "Eagle" actually), but the short version is that I simply couldn't afford to buy food. I was severely depressed at the time and could barely function, living alone in a mouse-infested dive of an apartment, couldn't work, had no source of income, and the stress of living in such dire poverty and hopelessness just translated into an inability to eat (there simply was no food to eat) or swallow what food I could afford (stress). There were a some key friends who helped keep me alive at that time, so I survived, but it's one of those scary diseases that builds momentum (you just learn not to feel the hunger anymore) and becomes increasingly difficult to escape or overcome without serious intervention.

My TV interview is June 8th. My face is getting better everyday. I had to quit the tetracycline, but the topical cream is doing a very good job. Nice pink cheeks looking back at me in the mornings now!

[ May 28, 2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#13008 - 05/29/05 11:11 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, anorexia has to with unrealistic body image and a need for extreme control, which doesn't sound like what you had. Your symptoms and reaction were not atypical of severe depression (which you had), but not anorexia.

#13009 - 05/31/05 07:55 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, what are you doing to prepare for your television interview?

I've had media training. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

A little pointer: act exactly like you do when you are sitting and chatting with a friend.

My tendency was to act like I did when I spoke in fornt of a crowd, behind a podium. I wanted tt be still, hands in one spot, and very focused. I learned that's wrong. Televison is very different than speaking in front of a crowd at a podium. He taught me to interact with facial expression and body movement.

Here's a good article:

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/issues/management/leadership_training/6_tips_for_taking_control_in_media_interviews.mspx

Feel free to ask me any questions. I have a packet of excellent information I can use to respond.

#13010 - 05/31/05 06:05 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
I am on the road right now, and using a French keyboard (and cannot find all the punctuation marks) so bear with me as I type this. I will not have access to a computer again until Sunday night.

I would love some pointers, and thank you for thinking to ask! I did public speaking all through my school years, and have spoken and sung in front of huge crowds, but have never been on tv before. I do not know even what to ask you, but certainly am grateful for any tidbits of wisdom you could pass along. I will certainly be praying for guidance and for the words HE wants me to say during the interview, since it is OUR message, not just my own.

I do not have much time to prepare because we get home on Sunday night and my interview is June 8th. I am trying to focus on three main points I want to make during the interview...but besides those, will probably just go with the flow of the questions.

The number one point I hope to be able to make is that people who are depressed have not been abandoned by God...this is a common fear/belief among so many of the depressed women I have met, including myself. There is a deeply entrenched belief that we are "beyond redemption". That is one thing I most want to challenge in the interview.

#13011 - 06/01/05 07:29 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, if you are seeking God's will then you have nothing to worry aobut. I always think that if I make a mistake and it's something I prayed about, then it was meant to be, part of His plan.

But you won't make mistakes. I get the feeling you are CLEAR about your message, and what a great message it is!

Here's a quick, cool story. I was on a talk show a couple summers ago. First time I had done television. Boy had I prayed and prepared. The morning of, I sat in the green room with the other guests. Then it was my turn to meet with the makeup artist. I began talking about my message of healing one another by sharing stories. I somehow mentioned my faith. Turns out, the gal was a devout Christian. She gave me the extra encouragement and confidence I needed to jump right in the seat and go to town with my interview. It was all in God's plan. I was so enthralled with how He set that morning in action. I couldn't believe it.

I'm praying for your interveiw. I will also dig out my notes from my training. I'll post some pointers for you later this week.

Where are you?

#13012 - 06/01/05 04:17 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, Thank you for your encouragement and your story. It never ceases to amaze me to watch God working in the most surprising places and through the most unexpected people.

As "Eagle" evolved, it became as much the story of my spiritual journey as it was about depression...it surprised me to discover just how impossible it was to separate Him from every other facet of my being and history. It was impossible to write about my lifelong struggle with depression without writing also about God`s presence and tangible mercy throughout that struggle. He was such a profound part of the writing of the book, I fully expect Him to be a profound part of anything else to do with the book...as long as I remember not to let my fears and anxiety get too much in His way!

We`re in Quebec City right now (spent a gorgeous day roaming around the old part of the city). We`re heading to a small village (Sainte Croix and hubby`s brother) tomorrow, then to Montreal (hubby`s daughter) on Saturday, then to hubby`s Godson`s daughter`s baptism on Sunday, then home Sunday night.

The French keyboard is different, and it`s hard to find some of the punctuation marks, but I think I`m finally getting the hang of it.

#13013 - 06/02/05 04:38 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Eagle, we are all so excited about the good things that are happening for you! I am glad the topical cream is working. Love and Light, Lynn

#13014 - 06/03/05 08:37 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

-Wear strong, solid colors, no stripes, checks...

-Arrive early.

-Review your message.

-Speak in short, succict sentences.

-Show your passion for your topic.

-Natural hand gestures, enthusiasm.

-Maintain good eye contact with the interviewer.

-Don't look at the camera.

-Maintain control.

-Don't wait to be asked the right questions. You can help shape the interview.

-Say things like:
I'd like to make this point before I continue.

That's a good question, but what is really important is...

Let me give you the latest information. This is really interesting.

These are ways you can be sure to get your message across.

-Remember, you are the expert on your topic. Don't be afraid to share your information.

-The audience wants to hear you, not the interviewer.

-Be prepared and share tightly constructed responses.

-Be honest.

-Be aware of the space. Do not lean on a desk, swivel in a chair, etc. If you're on a stool, use the wrungs. Try not to sit back in chair. Be interactive.

-Have fun.

This informaiton is taken from my media training with CBS anchor Vic Carter. He is a lovely man. So nice you wouldn't believe it. Great laugh, great smile, great personality, great man!

Hope it helps.

#13015 - 06/06/05 06:42 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
Sorry it took me so long to thank you...we only just got back home late last night. I've copied all of this onto the page of notes I'm printing off to review today and tomorrow. YES, it is immensely helpful, and thank you so very much for your generosity in sharing this. It's already helped me to relax more, because I feel like I'm not going in there alone or totally unprepared.

Lynn, thanks for your encouragement. The face is VERY blotchy right now...we didn't have much control over our diet the last few days, lots of tomatoes, which I think are a major trigger for the acne. But I'm okay with it...if it disappears before Wednesday, great; if not, then we just incorporate it into the interview as part of the on-going struggle with self-esteem. (PS I finished reading your incredible book and sent you a private message)

#13016 - 06/07/05 09:57 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Eagle Heart, I love your positive attitude -"incorporating it into the interview as part as the on-going struggle with self esteem."
Your interview will be great!
I am working on my montage thanks to your idea - Oprah is (and has been) in my future for close to seven years. Time to get her montaged!
Dotsie, I have copied your list for future reference. I figure some day I'm going to need it.Thanks for sharing it.

chick

[ June 07, 2005, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#13017 - 06/08/05 07:31 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, let us know how the interview goes. I wish I could watch.

#13018 - 06/08/05 03:56 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Dotsie. I'm so nervous (scared mindless actually) today I can hardly think straight. My hairdresser thought I was very spacey and absent-minded today. I sure hope this vacant lot between my ears grows some good courage and words of wisdom overnight!

#13019 - 06/08/05 10:41 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm praying for you. I can't wait to hear.

#13020 - 06/09/05 04:25 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Dotsie, your prayers, and earlier wise advice definitely helped. Your comment about being able to shape the interview was uppermost in my mind during the entire interview.

It's funny how God works; I was so anxious and brain-fogged this morning that I was seriously worried, because when brainfog sets in, nothing seems to be able to penetrate - or escape. So I was praying (well, more like begging) for clarity and wisdom. Then I came on board here, and wrote a couple of posts to Writergirl (Francine) about an hour before I had to leave for the studio. It was in responding to her posts that it became clear to me what direction to go in during the interview. So I arrived "fully loaded" and was able to steer my responses to each question in that direction (replacing the self-hatred, guilt and shame of being depressed with compassion and mercy for our wounded selves and seeing depression as a legitimate treatable illness instead of as punishment or proof of our inferiority and unworthiness).

There were a few sputters, but overall it came out clear and strong. And although my face was VERY blotchy, it never showed through the makeup.

Hallelujah! It was a great experience...thank you for helping to make it so!

#13021 - 06/09/05 09:02 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, we're proud of you! [Big Grin] And remember this for this future: the strength is inside you, to draw on when you need.

#13022 - 06/09/05 06:44 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle Heart:
So I arrived "fully loaded" and was able to steer my responses to each question in that direction (replacing the self-hatred, guilt and shame of being depressed with compassion and mercy for our wounded selves and seeing depression as a legitimate treatable illness instead of as punishment or proof of our inferiority and unworthiness).

Eagle, I am smiling ear to ear. I am SO happy you were able to have clarity about your message before appearing on the show.

I'm tickled that posting in the forums gave you that clarity. Women often share how the forums are helping them in many different ways. I'm convinced it's the Holy Spirit at work. God wants us to love one another, build each other up...as indeed we are doing in these forums. This is proof that it works. What a blessing. Wouldn't it be awesome if the world was like this?

#13023 - 06/10/05 07:15 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Eagle, congratulations on the completion of the interview. Did you tape it? I love to hear that you were guided to a focus. I like Dotsie's response here, too. Way to go! Love and Light, Lynn

#13024 - 06/09/05 10:09 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Meredithbead, Dotsie and Lynn, It was a very good experience, and because of it radiating from having been here earlier in the morning, it was also a warm spiritual experience.

I did tape it, but have only watched it once through. One thing that's been bothering me is that I hardly recognized myself. That sounds wierd, but it's true. I had no idea that that's what I looked like. Hubby thinks it's because I wore coke-bottle glasses all my life and am still not used to not wearing them (I had laser eye surgery two years ago). At first glance at the tape, it looked my mother's face...I never knew I bore such a strong resemblance to her...I guess the thick glasses always hid that from me.

Anyway, I'll have to look at the tape again, but was surprised at how it was if I was looking at a total stranger. I hope it's the glasses thing, and not some deeper "disengagement" issue.

People have been writing to say that they were impressed with my presence and delivery, some sounding quite surprised that I did so well [Smile] So that's been fun to hear too. Anyway, thank you all so very much for your much-needed support and kudos and warm presence in my newest venture out my front door. You definitely helped make it possible for me to do this. I can't imagine being able to do this a few months ago before I found BWS!!!

#13025 - 06/09/05 11:41 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, Eagle, that's so interesting about not recognizing yourself. I had such low self-esteem (read no self-esteem) for so long that I never recognized any positive characteristics. When I saw my TV tape, I was thinking that I'd wish I'd known how cute I turned out to be. I recognized myself for the woman I had become. Whereas before, as a child and young adult, I did have that disocciation or disengagment you speak of, where I could not connect the image portrayed with my self. You know why? Because I had no self. The image was an empty shell. Now that I feel fulfilled, I see my self in all the dimensions, and fully connect the image (be it reflection or film or photo) as me. And I like it. Except I feel younger than my 51 years, so I expect a younger image. I think that's because I lost about 20 years of my inner life while my outer flesh kept aging. Yes, I see my mother in my reflection the older I get. I'm glad to hear you are getting good feedback. Way to go! That may be a good point about not being used to seeing yourself without your glasses. You were so many years with them, and only 2 without. Love and Light, Lynn

#13026 - 06/11/05 06:21 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

Eagle Heart --

I am Sooooo happy for you that the interview went so well. I've been thinking about you and hoping everything would go smoothly.

I dont think Dotsie FULLY realizes how important this forum is for so many of us. I know she's very pleased that she started it -- but it has been a God send for the rest of us [Smile]

I can relate to your reaction of "not knowing yourself" on tv. It can cause a fairly large gasp at times [Eek!]

so what's next for you ?????

#13027 - 06/11/05 09:31 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Lionspaaw, I appreciate your thoughts and hopes!

God-send is right! There isn't enough space on Dotsie's server for me to go into just what this forum has been/done for me. Meeting all you incredible women has been indescribably life-changing for me. You are all sisters whose names are now written on my heart, your worries and cares are mine, and you all are without a doubt the most awesome answer to prayer that I've ever received in my life.

In just a few short months, I've moved from desperately needy, hungry, empty and hopeless to fervantly wanting to help where I can, selflessly prayerful of all my sisters' needs, and full of new and invigorating hope. That's an awesome healing, wrought by awesome, healing women. God sure knew what He was doing when He whispered those sweet words in Dotsie's ear!

[ June 11, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#13028 - 06/12/05 08:54 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

AMEN !!

#13029 - 06/12/05 10:16 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Hallelujah!

#13030 - 06/12/05 11:50 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thank you. I'm thankful I've had the courage to listen. He's begun whispering something else in my ears this week and I'm shaking in my boots. I'll fill you in when I work through this a little more.

#13031 - 06/13/05 04:16 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Eagle Heart, I wonder if any of us looks as we think we do in our minds eye....I am so happy you were pleased with your accomplishment and only wish we could of seen and or heard you as well. I am proud of you... [Cool]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved