The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#13011 - 06/01/05 07:29 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, if you are seeking God's will then you have nothing to worry aobut. I always think that if I make a mistake and it's something I prayed about, then it was meant to be, part of His plan.

But you won't make mistakes. I get the feeling you are CLEAR about your message, and what a great message it is!

Here's a quick, cool story. I was on a talk show a couple summers ago. First time I had done television. Boy had I prayed and prepared. The morning of, I sat in the green room with the other guests. Then it was my turn to meet with the makeup artist. I began talking about my message of healing one another by sharing stories. I somehow mentioned my faith. Turns out, the gal was a devout Christian. She gave me the extra encouragement and confidence I needed to jump right in the seat and go to town with my interview. It was all in God's plan. I was so enthralled with how He set that morning in action. I couldn't believe it.

I'm praying for your interveiw. I will also dig out my notes from my training. I'll post some pointers for you later this week.

Where are you?

#13012 - 06/01/05 04:17 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Dotsie, Thank you for your encouragement and your story. It never ceases to amaze me to watch God working in the most surprising places and through the most unexpected people.

As "Eagle" evolved, it became as much the story of my spiritual journey as it was about depression...it surprised me to discover just how impossible it was to separate Him from every other facet of my being and history. It was impossible to write about my lifelong struggle with depression without writing also about God`s presence and tangible mercy throughout that struggle. He was such a profound part of the writing of the book, I fully expect Him to be a profound part of anything else to do with the book...as long as I remember not to let my fears and anxiety get too much in His way!

We`re in Quebec City right now (spent a gorgeous day roaming around the old part of the city). We`re heading to a small village (Sainte Croix and hubby`s brother) tomorrow, then to Montreal (hubby`s daughter) on Saturday, then to hubby`s Godson`s daughter`s baptism on Sunday, then home Sunday night.

The French keyboard is different, and it`s hard to find some of the punctuation marks, but I think I`m finally getting the hang of it.

#13013 - 06/02/05 04:38 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eagle, we are all so excited about the good things that are happening for you! I am glad the topical cream is working. Love and Light, Lynn

#13014 - 06/03/05 08:37 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

-Wear strong, solid colors, no stripes, checks...

-Arrive early.

-Review your message.

-Speak in short, succict sentences.

-Show your passion for your topic.

-Natural hand gestures, enthusiasm.

-Maintain good eye contact with the interviewer.

-Don't look at the camera.

-Maintain control.

-Don't wait to be asked the right questions. You can help shape the interview.

-Say things like:
I'd like to make this point before I continue.

That's a good question, but what is really important is...

Let me give you the latest information. This is really interesting.

These are ways you can be sure to get your message across.

-Remember, you are the expert on your topic. Don't be afraid to share your information.

-The audience wants to hear you, not the interviewer.

-Be prepared and share tightly constructed responses.

-Be honest.

-Be aware of the space. Do not lean on a desk, swivel in a chair, etc. If you're on a stool, use the wrungs. Try not to sit back in chair. Be interactive.

-Have fun.

This informaiton is taken from my media training with CBS anchor Vic Carter. He is a lovely man. So nice you wouldn't believe it. Great laugh, great smile, great personality, great man!

Hope it helps.

#13015 - 06/06/05 06:42 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
Sorry it took me so long to thank you...we only just got back home late last night. I've copied all of this onto the page of notes I'm printing off to review today and tomorrow. YES, it is immensely helpful, and thank you so very much for your generosity in sharing this. It's already helped me to relax more, because I feel like I'm not going in there alone or totally unprepared.

Lynn, thanks for your encouragement. The face is VERY blotchy right now...we didn't have much control over our diet the last few days, lots of tomatoes, which I think are a major trigger for the acne. But I'm okay with it...if it disappears before Wednesday, great; if not, then we just incorporate it into the interview as part of the on-going struggle with self-esteem. (PS I finished reading your incredible book and sent you a private message)

#13016 - 06/07/05 09:57 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Eagle Heart, I love your positive attitude -"incorporating it into the interview as part as the on-going struggle with self esteem."
Your interview will be great!
I am working on my montage thanks to your idea - Oprah is (and has been) in my future for close to seven years. Time to get her montaged!
Dotsie, I have copied your list for future reference. I figure some day I'm going to need it.Thanks for sharing it.

chick

[ June 07, 2005, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#13017 - 06/08/05 07:31 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, let us know how the interview goes. I wish I could watch.

#13018 - 06/08/05 03:56 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Dotsie. I'm so nervous (scared mindless actually) today I can hardly think straight. My hairdresser thought I was very spacey and absent-minded today. I sure hope this vacant lot between my ears grows some good courage and words of wisdom overnight!

#13019 - 06/08/05 10:41 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm praying for you. I can't wait to hear.

#13020 - 06/09/05 04:25 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks Dotsie, your prayers, and earlier wise advice definitely helped. Your comment about being able to shape the interview was uppermost in my mind during the entire interview.

It's funny how God works; I was so anxious and brain-fogged this morning that I was seriously worried, because when brainfog sets in, nothing seems to be able to penetrate - or escape. So I was praying (well, more like begging) for clarity and wisdom. Then I came on board here, and wrote a couple of posts to Writergirl (Francine) about an hour before I had to leave for the studio. It was in responding to her posts that it became clear to me what direction to go in during the interview. So I arrived "fully loaded" and was able to steer my responses to each question in that direction (replacing the self-hatred, guilt and shame of being depressed with compassion and mercy for our wounded selves and seeing depression as a legitimate treatable illness instead of as punishment or proof of our inferiority and unworthiness).

There were a few sputters, but overall it came out clear and strong. And although my face was VERY blotchy, it never showed through the makeup.

Hallelujah! It was a great experience...thank you for helping to make it so!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved