The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#13001 - 05/24/05 03:54 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I bet there are a LOT of people we see on TV that have skin problems -- just watch the infomercials.

There is some very nice makeup - all natural - that I posted about once before. It's helped my red lines and age spots on my face. You can buy samples for $5.00 (and $5.00 s/h) and they last for quite awhile. I usually order two samples at a time because the shipping is still $5.00.

Pam - did you ever try it? If so, did it work for you?

Here's the link http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/youngblood.htm

They ship immediately and priority mail so you should be able to get it by the end of the week. Heck - it's better than Preparation H -- tee hee.

#13002 - 05/24/05 04:43 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
...and probably looks a lot better sitting out on the bathroom counter too!

#13003 - 05/24/05 06:37 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Eagle, how exciting, you going on TV! How did the station hear of you? Did a press release about your book capture their attention? As for anti-biotics, when I had acne, I used a topical anti-biotic that did not have to go through my system. Maybe this hard to get dermatologist can switch you to topical? You mentioned a cream. Is that also an anti-biotic? By the way, you have my permission to add my pic from my site to your visualization board! Then Oprah can put our books under everyone's chair! Love and Light, Lynn

#13004 - 05/24/05 06:41 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eagle, one of the ways I was told to combat nausea in the am during chemo was to pop a plain frozen waffle into the toaster. I still do that to reduce am queasiness: a plain old unbuttered Eggo waffle from the freezer to the toaster. It worked for me, at least to be able to get something in my stomach

#13005 - 05/24/05 07:05 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Hi Lynn, nice to hear your voice...does your presence here tonight come by way of reward or realization that you belong here with or without memoir in tow? Either way, it's good to "see" you again!

About the TV spot...two weeks ago, I got a rare burst of energy and decided to use it productively before it disappeared again. So I sent out dozens of book-emails to various mental health agencies here in Canada, as well as to local tv/radio stations. I sold about 12 books that week, and received an immediate response back from one tv station, much to my surprise and delight!

The hard-to-get-to dermatologist (I've also decided in retrospect that she was a bit snarky and somewhat passive-aggressive) did give me a topical anti-biotic cream, so I don't feel too concerned about giving up the pill. I just couldn't stomach that queasiness. It was getting to the point that I wasn't keeping any food down at all. I made up for it today though...have been eating my way through my next-door neighbour's housewarming party leftovers all day!

As for the early morning queasiness, there's not much I can tolerate first thing in the morning. Way back during my breakdown in the 80's, I became severely anorexic, dropping to 89 pounds. Much of my inability to eat was because of severe queasiness in the morning, so I couldn't keep down any breakfast so stopped trying to eat any, then would become so hungry I would get nauseated at the sight of any food, and then it kept snowballing until I wasn't eating at all.

After an emergency meeting with a nutritionist, I buckled down and forced myself to eat breakfast, but the only thing I could eat was a scrambled egg. It gradually became a "mind over matter" thing, until it became so automatic that I didn't even have to think about it. I would get up in the morning and cook that egg and swallow it down without even flinching. But for many years, I couldn't NOT have that egg. I couldn't stomach anything else.

Now years later, I'm definitely not anorexic, but still have that problem with not being able to face food first thing in the morning. But I have to, because I can't ever let myself go down that dangerous road again. So I still have to have an egg every morning. Everyone we visit knows I have to have that egg, so it's rarely a problem, especially with McDonald's around just about every corner!

Oddly enough, the only other thing I can stomach first thing in the morning is cold pizza...if I know there's a left-over piece of Pizza Hut's Edge pizza in the fridge, I can't stay in bed the next morning. I have to rush out of bed, forget the shower, and have that pizza for breakfast - go figure that one out!!

#13006 - 05/28/05 07:16 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I'm sorry to hera about your bout with anorexia. How did you overcome that. I have a counselor friend who specializes in eating disorders. She was telling me that they are becoming more prominent in baby boomers. These are women who have never suffered from them in the past. It's so scary. A childhood friend almost lost her life to the disease in college.

How's your face? When are you on television? It must be getting close.

[ May 27, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#13007 - 05/28/05 07:07 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, my anorexia was probably more about poverty and stress than it was about a mangled body image, which seems to be more common for women who are anorexic. It's a long story how I got to that "place" (it's all in "Eagle" actually), but the short version is that I simply couldn't afford to buy food. I was severely depressed at the time and could barely function, living alone in a mouse-infested dive of an apartment, couldn't work, had no source of income, and the stress of living in such dire poverty and hopelessness just translated into an inability to eat (there simply was no food to eat) or swallow what food I could afford (stress). There were a some key friends who helped keep me alive at that time, so I survived, but it's one of those scary diseases that builds momentum (you just learn not to feel the hunger anymore) and becomes increasingly difficult to escape or overcome without serious intervention.

My TV interview is June 8th. My face is getting better everyday. I had to quit the tetracycline, but the topical cream is doing a very good job. Nice pink cheeks looking back at me in the mornings now!

[ May 28, 2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#13008 - 05/29/05 11:11 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Eagle, anorexia has to with unrealistic body image and a need for extreme control, which doesn't sound like what you had. Your symptoms and reaction were not atypical of severe depression (which you had), but not anorexia.

#13009 - 05/31/05 07:55 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, what are you doing to prepare for your television interview?

I've had media training. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

A little pointer: act exactly like you do when you are sitting and chatting with a friend.

My tendency was to act like I did when I spoke in fornt of a crowd, behind a podium. I wanted tt be still, hands in one spot, and very focused. I learned that's wrong. Televison is very different than speaking in front of a crowd at a podium. He taught me to interact with facial expression and body movement.

Here's a good article:

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/issues/management/leadership_training/6_tips_for_taking_control_in_media_interviews.mspx

Feel free to ask me any questions. I have a packet of excellent information I can use to respond.

#13010 - 05/31/05 06:05 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie,
I am on the road right now, and using a French keyboard (and cannot find all the punctuation marks) so bear with me as I type this. I will not have access to a computer again until Sunday night.

I would love some pointers, and thank you for thinking to ask! I did public speaking all through my school years, and have spoken and sung in front of huge crowds, but have never been on tv before. I do not know even what to ask you, but certainly am grateful for any tidbits of wisdom you could pass along. I will certainly be praying for guidance and for the words HE wants me to say during the interview, since it is OUR message, not just my own.

I do not have much time to prepare because we get home on Sunday night and my interview is June 8th. I am trying to focus on three main points I want to make during the interview...but besides those, will probably just go with the flow of the questions.

The number one point I hope to be able to make is that people who are depressed have not been abandoned by God...this is a common fear/belief among so many of the depressed women I have met, including myself. There is a deeply entrenched belief that we are "beyond redemption". That is one thing I most want to challenge in the interview.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved