The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#12981 - 05/18/05 03:33 AM A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Things like this don't normally happen to me, probably because I don't make them happen. As some of you know, I've had problems with my face skin for years. Chatty's regime of baby soap and olive oil worked really well for several weeks. But two weeks ago, a huge ugly, itchy, blotchy red patch appeared on my right cheek. So after much begging (that's what it took), my GP finally referred me to a dermatologist. But the earliest appointment was the end of July.

Then this week I received an invitation to speak on a local TV program at noon on June 7th. Very exciting, except for this horrible blotchy thing on my face...I can barely touch it, it's so sore...and I definitely can't put makeup on it right now. This afternoon I was watching Oprah and saw the things a dermatologist can do to clear up messy skin. So I picked up the phone (which is VERY hard for me to do...it's almost to the point of being called a phone-phobia) and called the dermatologist to explain about the TV interview, and the problem with my skin, and to ask if she could put me on her cancellation skin. Well, she said it was my lucky day, because someone had JUST called ten minutes ago to cancel an appointment for this Thursday. I couldn't believe it. Like I said, "lucky breaks" like this rarely happen to me!

So I thought I should share this surprising and delightful answer to a fervent prayer! I don't know if she can fix my face before June 7th, but just getting this appointment so soon was gift enough!

#12982 - 05/18/05 03:50 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am so sorry to hear about your facial problem but this sounds like something on the inside working its way out. I am certainly no dermatologist and would be eager to hear her prognosis if its not too private. God bless and congrats on the TV show.

#12983 - 05/18/05 10:44 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, congrats on landing a show. Don't forget to ask for a tape. Also, have someone taping at home.

Don't worry about the face. Let your words be your drawing card. I know they can be after reading your thoughtful posts.

Whatever you do, don't use toothpaste on your face. Not that you would. A friend of my daughter's slept with it on her zit. It burned her skin.

#12984 - 05/19/05 12:05 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Eagle, I think the television station will have someone to help you with any problems you might have with your face when you get there. If you ask they always seem more than willing to help. And they know what to do cause they do it for the news anchors, etc. all the time.
Don't worry. Be happy. Just light the world up with your smile.
smile

#12985 - 05/19/05 03:04 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Thank you for your kind words of support. I'll know a bit more about what to expect in regard to my face after my appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow (hooray, finally!)

Chatty, I'll definitely let you know what diagnosis she ends up making.

Dotsie, I'm glad you told me about the toothpaste...it had actually crossed my mind in the past couple of weeks to try it. I don't know why; I seem to remember reading somewhere that toothpaste was good for something other than teeth, but couldn't remember what, so didn't want to use it unless I was sure it wouldn't damage the skin even more. There were days this past week when I couldn't even touch it, all I could do was splash water on it and then let it air dry.

As luck would have it, it's clearing up...duh, doesn't that always happen just when you're finally getting in to see a doctor about a chronic problem, it disappears just in time for the appointment! But we took lots of pictures, so I can show her what it's normally like.

Smile, thank you for your kind words! What a lovely vision, to hope that even just one person's day or life could be brightened and encouraged by what we talk about in that interview.

#12986 - 05/19/05 03:12 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Eagle good luck with the appointment AND the TV interview! The bright red patch you speak of sounds a lot like what I experienced last Spring as an allergic reaction. My hubby and I had spread fertilizer on the entire yard and dummy me took our cat out for his usual walk and when carrying him back inside the house, he touched my face with his paw (and the back of my neck, my arm, and hand) - in very short order I had a terrible bright, itchy, red, MISERABLE rash on those areas. I realized what had happened but it was too late to do much about it except take Benadryl and use cortisone cream.

I've always had skin problems - including skin cancer three times - so I can empathize with you!

Hopefully this is just some kind of allergic reaction and since you said it's going away, perhaps that's what the dermatologist will say...I'll be interested to hear.....glad you are willing to share what you find out.

#12987 - 05/19/05 05:50 PM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Eagle, I have used tooth paste to clean silver jewelry with good results =) and if you have an old Oral B attachment for an electric toothbrush, even better!

Congratulations on your show and just be the treasure you are!

#12988 - 05/20/05 12:46 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Toothpaste works wonders on the ivory keys of a old piano or organ.
Pam was the skin cancer on you face or other area? How did you recognize it?
Eagle, a TV appearance excites me to no end. Oprah next? Good luck with your debut.

chick

#12989 - 05/20/05 01:30 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Squamous cell carcinoma and a basal cell on my face, and melanoma on my leg. Recognized them ALL because although different "types" of cancer, they were similar in the early stage. Very small skin irritations that wouldn't heal - in the case of the melanoma it was a freckle on my calf that grew in size. It pays to know your skin (!) - look in the mirror at all your parts (even if you don't want to!!) so you can recognize something NEW. Ask your doctor about anything that you are concerned about - it's SOOOOOOOO easy to take care of most skin cancers if caught early.

BUT - let's all celebrate our Eagle's soaring high with the TV gig and pray that her skin irritation is just that....an irritation and nothing more!!

#12990 - 05/20/05 03:18 AM Re: A Lucky Phone Call
Eagle Heart Offline

Pamela, I'm glad you shared your experience of skin cancer...being so fair-skinned, I'm always nervous about one of my "very small skin irritations" turning deadly. It never hurts to be more aware of what to look for.

I saw the dermatologist today...my regular GP had diagnosed me years ago with rosacea, but didn't tell me a whole lot about it or that we were supposed to be treating it on a regular basis, not just when it flared up. Apparently, rosacea is incurable, and gets progressively worse without regular daily treatment, so it's a good thing I wouldn't give up trying to see the dermatologist!

She reaffirmed and further explained the rosacea diagnosis and put me on low-dose tetracyclene and special topical cream. She thinks that by starting right away, it should be clear by the time I appear on TV...even if it's only for 4 minutes, I'd still rather that my words and message shine, not my red cheeks!

Chickadee, shortly after arriving here at BWS, I put together a montage of three pictures - of Oprah, my book and me - and typed in big bold letters "This Will Happen - Believe It". Underneath it, I keep adding the names of other Boomer Women. It's hanging on my computer desk. People laugh at it, but I don't care. It WILL happen, not just for me, but for Dotsie and the rest of us Boomer Women!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved