The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#128889 - 04/15/08 12:17 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: Eagle Heart]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I've always called these "triggers." Everyone gets them once in awhile and usually one is caught off guard completely. I don't think it will ever be any different. As we age, more happens, more people leave us and on and on. We tend to widen our memory file more and more. We miss more people, pets and places. We become huge memory banks and I believe it tenderizes our hearts more with each loss....therefore, all the more triggers. yeah, count me in as a sap, too, if that's what I am. There are certain things that if I see, hear or smell take me back to precious memories of someone or something, particularly music that my big bro and I shared, or flowers that Mom loved or a place that I devoted my life with my ex-husband. All of it stings but can be beautiful if looked at in the right way.

#128890 - 04/18/08 10:00 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Triggers, that a perfect word for them LJ. I hate when they come at an inopportune moment and my eyes well up with tears. I'm sure some people must think me nuts.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#128891 - 04/19/08 11:35 AM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Chatty, one thing I do know is that, with age, I've become even more weepy and often it's over something that comes along suddenly. Unfortunately, it's often when I'm out and least expect it. It's hard to try to stop it when it comes on like that. So people probably think I'm crazy, too. But it happens to everyone.

#128893 - 04/19/08 05:39 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: ladyjane]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Yes Chattylady and LJ..I second that..lots more weepy with age..in other words a SAP, jabber!!! Gosh it´s great to hear that this happens to you guys,too. I hate it,too,when it happens sort of unforewarned. I try to bite back the tears..but that doesn´t always work..and I am saying to myself..what a wimp you are, old lady! But perhaps it´s an asset of a sort..because perhaps these felings can be kind of used on those around us..I mean, that perhaps we have more understanding and compassion than we had before?? I just hope that we also have it for ourselves..that´s important,too, I find..when I think over my life and try to realize that I did my best..eventho it didn´t maybe seem that way at the time...

#128894 - 04/19/08 06:24 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: humlan]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. Treasures make our hearts of gold break and our eyes well with crystal tears. It is an asset to have fond and loving memories, to know what once was.

When someone you know is hurting, you feel their pain. You have knowledge of what it can feel to be broken. Pain will bring tears of hurt.

When someone you know is joyous, you feel their joy. You have knowledge of happiness. Happiness will bring tears of joy.

Never get too old or unconditioned to be a sap for much will be lost in humanity.

#128895 - 04/19/08 06:53 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: chickadee]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
What wonderful words, Chick! Yes, I find myself getting weepy about the weirdest things, too. Like a silly commercial on TV, or something I'm reading. Maybe it comes from knowing what is going on in the world, or maybe these are just triggers from some way-back memory deep in our unconscious mind. Whatever it is, it can be darn inconvenient!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#128896 - 04/19/08 08:16 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, how true about the sense of smell. When Mom was very sick and dying, I remember rubbing her with Beautiful lotion. I beleive that was the name of the perfume. Anyway, I was walking through Macy's and someone has just sprayed it. I was instantly taken back to caring for Mom. I need to buy some of that perfume so I can pull it our every now and then.

Chick, three cheers for your last sentence.

#128897 - 04/19/08 08:36 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: chickadee]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Chick..thank you..that is beautiful. Yes..our joys and our pain make us stronger..but also more vulnerable..because we can feel what others feel..but perhaps in that vulnerability..we meet very closely..for awhile..hmm..thank you!

#128898 - 04/21/08 09:12 PM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Chick now I now I understand why we call you Chick, because you're so darn smart and COOOOOL!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#128899 - 04/22/08 03:36 AM Re: Grieving...the loss of the marriage & family [Re: yonuh]
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
My nephew lived and died at 17 in Pennsylvania. He had never been to Colorado Springs, where I live. Colorado Springs is unique in that everywhere you go you see Pike's Peak, the 14,000 foot high mountain that inspired "America the Beautiful, oh beautiful for spacious skies." Although I missed much of my nephew's childhood due to estrangement from my brother, his father, I always held my nephew in my heart because he was joyful and enthusiastic. Anyway, for some strange reason, whenever I get on a certain stretch of road, I look at the mountain and I say "Hi Jeff." Is it that the mountain stretching toward the sky makes me think of heavenward? I dojn't know. This mountain, the road, was never associated with Jeff while he was alive, but I remember him each morning with that scene.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved