The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128015 - 09/18/07 03:58 AM new business
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Even though it's tough going with my son, I have to make a living. Life goes on.

I need to pay of some credit card debt and can't seem to make ends meet at my regular job. I have been searching my brain for ideas and decided I'd be great at helping small businesses.

I am in advertising and love to create ads and copy. I was voted the best sales letter writer in my company so that's also a plus. I can design newsletters and create press releases, business cards etc.

It's really difficult for small business people to find the time to market their company as there is so much to do.

What do you think I should charge, an hourly rate, or a project rate. I have no idea really.

Any advice would be most welcome. I already have a job. Just posted on craigslist.org in my area and got a call the same day.
thanks,
Kate

#128016 - 09/18/07 12:18 PM Re: new business [Re: katebcca]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I wish I could help you here but that's one area I have no experience in. I know when I decide what to charge for VA work, there are variables involved so I have to take it on a case by case basis, just as I do for some "content" editing or other editing jobs.

Here are a couple of sites I found with some info on creating ads and copy. The guy seems to know his way around and may give you some insight into not only the world of rates, but also about how to conduct the biz even when its part-time. I'm not into that kind of business, but I found him interesting. Hope it helps some.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kuraoka/

http://www.kuraoka.com/faq.html

#128017 - 09/18/07 04:33 PM Re: new business [Re: jawjaw]
katebcca Offline

Thanks Jawjaw,
I'll check it out.

Kate

#128018 - 09/19/07 03:06 AM Re: new business [Re: katebcca]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Hi Kate,
I don't have any advice or insight into rates etc but when you get your new business up and running would you be able to accept jobs from Australia?

I'm starting a new business with a friend of mine who is a Success Coach (and a brilliant one at that!) We may need your expertise in the area of sales letters & press releases.

Will you have a website?

We will be networking in Australia starting next week, so if you would like to send me some of your business cards, I'd be happy to hand them out - would work better if you have a website of course. (I'll PM you my address, if you think it's a good idea).

It sounds like you have heaps of experience and are very good at what you do. I'm sure you'll do very well!
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#128019 - 09/19/07 05:08 AM Re: new business [Re: SharonE]
Lavinia Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
As part of the prize for a writing contest, I won a free graphic design that can be used for business cards and/or a banner for my website (which I don't have yet). The value listed was $150. Hope that helps. -Karen

My blog is called, "Write Now." You can find it here; http://karenlalaniz.blogspot.com

#128020 - 09/19/07 07:47 PM Re: new business [Re: Lavinia]
katebcca Offline

Thanks Lavinia that gives me a good idea. It all depends on experience. Some graphic artists are incredible and very creative and some are not. I have worked with many and I guess you get what you pay for.

SharonE, two of my good friends are from Australia. They both travel back and forth because their kids live there. I've heard it's beautiful and would love to visit one day. Just hate the idea of such a long flight :-)

I work in an office in British Columbia. Most of my clients are in other provinces and the US. My head office is in Vancouver and I live on an island. Practically everyone except the accounting department work in other cities. With the Internet, it really doesn't matter where you live. I can do up a letter, press release etc. and email it anywhere.

I am working on building a website so will let you know when it is up and running. Thanks for the offer to hand out my business cards; I may just take you up on that when I have them printed.
Cheers,
Kate

#128021 - 09/19/07 08:12 PM Re: new business [Re: katebcca]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
It sounds interesting, Kate. There's a lot of need for copywriters -- including web site copyrighting. Craig's list is a good way to go. So is building affiliate and referral sources. Let me know when you have your site up and let's see if we can trade links (I do life and business coaching) and leverage lists.

Good for you to move on to better things!

#128022 - 09/25/07 06:43 PM Re: new business [Re: Casey]
katebcca Offline

Just wanting feedback as I'm working on a company name. The work I will be doing is marketing, promotional writing. Basically writing press releases and sales letters for small business.

Example 1. "Broadcast"
marketing & communications

Example 2. "Billboard"
marketing & communications

Example 3, 4 etc. "Splash" "Limelight" "Zoom"

Any feedback would be appreciated.
thanks,
Kate

#128023 - 09/25/07 07:52 PM Re: new business [Re: katebcca]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Copywrite For You
Headlines, Billboards, Newletters
Professional – Business - Letters (PBL)
Marketing and Sales Letters
We MARKET your Work
You Work, We Write (don’t get up tight)…sorry, that just slipped out.
Smart Marketing Ventures
Hear je Hear je! We Write for a minimum Fee!
Writer’s Cramp
Slogans, Newsletters, & Marketing (SNM)
BUSINESS ATTENTION GETTERS
Right Writers (as in Knight Riders)
Wizard Writing World

Sometimes a catchy title is more interesting then the run of the mill ones. But that's me...and I am probably not your average consumer. I like originality, which I think you should have, particularly in this line of work.

If I were to look for a writer, then I would check to see how imaginative and brilliant you market your own business.

#128024 - 09/26/07 06:07 AM Re: new business [Re: Edelweiss]
katebcca Offline

Thanks Hannelore,
I have come up with a short list and will share later.
I am starting this company while studying for my real estate license. I'm half way through now.

My current employer is not being very nice to put it mildly. I have worked at this job for over 8 years and have been a very loyal employee. Well, actually I work on contract and have increased sales by almost 45% during my stay here.

I sell ads for a trade publication. In my time here my company has given me little tools to do my job and it has been an uphill battle. They want me to sell, sell, sell while they spend little or zero money on marketing our own products. They want more advertising dollars but spend as little as they can on promotion. Also, pay employees as little as possible etc.

In an effort to bring in more advertising dollars they are hiring another sales person who will basically be competing with me. Not really I guess but I have to give him some of my client base. I just make enough to make ends meet now and am really choked about this.

I can understand their wanting to grow the magazine in a way, but hiring another sales person is not the best solution at this point. If they did their job it would make more sense. Basically they print the minimal amount of magazines and don't distribute them to the places they need to go to. My company website is a joke. I constantly have to remind them to update the info as they never change it.
I am trying to sell banner ads and no one knows how much to charge, what size the banner ads will be etc. This is a national magazine company. I could go on and on. Basically they want it all and give no support to help me do my job.

So, I'm starting a business while I continue to work there just in case the company folds. People are hired and quit on a regular basis so the writing is on the wall. I've been quite unhappy at this job for the past two years and it continues to go downhill. It could be a great job which is really frustrating.

I hope to make a go of this copywriting business as I know marketing and help my clients all the time with advice on marketing their business, advertising etc. I like to help my clients with their marketing needs so this would be a good fit for me.
Kate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved