The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#127093 - 09/03/07 01:43 PM No Sleep
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I haven't been on the forum for some time because I haven't been sleeping. Has anyone else experienced a loss of sleep for two weeks or more? I'm sure it's job-related and my doctor's medical degree kicked right in when he diagnosed me with stress. I'm finaly sleeping again, but sporadically (the pills he gave me work if I take them once every few days), and I feel sick often. Sadly, my appetitie is not affected, but now I'm eating badly (choosing terrible foods on purpose). The only reason I haven't quit my job is because of the medical benefits. I called in sick today. I just couldn't face the place or the people. Looking for another job at the ripe old age of 60 is terrifying.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#127094 - 09/03/07 02:03 PM Re: No Sleep [Re: Saundra]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Saundra,
Please see the email I sent to you today.

#127095 - 09/03/07 04:12 PM Re: No Sleep [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Saundra, just recently I watched a documentary about how companies in Germany prefer to hire people 60 and up. They found them more reliable, take less sick leave, and use their working experience in their jobs sufficiently. Maybe this trend is happening in the States?
You know those real-estate complexes in Florida for the elderly? How about checking those out? I would think they would prefer hiring senior employees.
Sending positive thoughts your way!
Hannelore

#127096 - 09/03/07 07:18 PM Re: No Sleep [Re: Edelweiss]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Hi Hannelore. I've missed you (and everyone else). Here in Daytona Beach, FL, employers love to hire seniors because they can pay them less and work them harder. I spoke to someone Saturday who needs an admin assistant who can type and answer the phone at the same time. He's an Elder Law Attorney. Of course the pay is low and there are no benefits. Guess that's why he can't find someone to handle the job. Aaah, the irony!

Edited by Saundra (09/03/07 07:19 PM)
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#127097 - 09/03/07 07:30 PM Re: No Sleep [Re: Saundra]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Would there be any way you could point this out to him? I once had an interview where everyone was more qualified than me. I knew they were going in to the interview so I said to the guy, "You know, I bet your job is hard, trying to find someone who is loyal, always on the job, and is efficient, so let me tell you what I propose, if you should choose me out of stack. I'll give you 10 years of good, honest, hard work. I'll be here every day and take time off when it suits YOU. I'll plan my vacations around you schedules and try to be as considerate as I can. I'll be prompt, attentive to your working needs, and efficient. But I will warn you ahed of time, I cannot promise you more than 10 years."

He laughed and said, you know what, you get the job. I did...and I stayed 10 years. Exactly. I didn't leave because I wanted to, but the company, Hughes International, was leaving Huntville, so I had to find another job...which I did.

Sometimes you have to point out the obvious to them. Let them know your worth. Like this lawyer, if he paid benefits, it would BENEFIT HIM in the long run by not having to spend valuable time RE-training someone, over and over because of the low wages. Pay a little more, offer benefits, and I'm yours. That's what I would be telling him!

#127098 - 09/03/07 09:51 PM Re: No Sleep [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Saundra my mother was the ripe old age of seventy when she went out looking for a job. MY stepdad died from lung cancer and left her virtually pennyless due to the hospital expenses, surgery, then the funeral etc. She just retired this year at 87. So my dear don't worry, there are smart savvy employers out there looking for your lifes experience and your skills.
I am no help anymore about not sleeping. I was told to just take a warm bubble bath at night, soft music plating, burn a fragrent relaxing candle of sandlewood, have a warm cup of cammomille tea, and hit the sack...So far thats worked for me. Yawn!!!

Edited by chatty lady (09/03/07 09:53 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved