The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#126961 - 09/15/07 05:52 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: jawjaw]
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I am, for the most part, enjoying my empty nest right now. My kids have been gone from my house for quite some time, and now hubby is only home on weekends, so I enjoy quality time with my computer, my tv remote, and working on those "projects" that I have always wanted to do but never could find the time or space to finish. I'm organizing my millions of photographs, both in real time and online, writing a novel, writing a weekly column for our local newspaper, and volunteering for community projects. It's nice to fix whatever I please for meals, or not fix anything at all. My laundry and cleaning time is greatly reduced, because I'm the only one to do it for...except for occasionally hubby's clothes, and he does some of his laundry on the road.
My daughter and grandkids visit very frequently, I babysit when I can and I'm trying to attend their volleyball, football and other team games.
On the down side, I cannot do outside chores much due to severe allergies, so our lawn gets out of control sometimes, and the house needs some major repairs and painting. If something breaks, I either hire someone to fix it, or deal with it myself...which can be catastrophic sometimes..hehe.
I'm trying to watch over my own parents, who are in their upper 70s and 80s, and deteriorating healthwise. I live about 45 minutes away from them, so don't get over to visit them as often as I'd like.
I work as a nurse in a nursing home, and lately I've had to put in considerable overtime, which is wonderful for the paycheck, but h--l on the body.
I had some serious health problems in 2005 that left me with very decreased stamina and other health related problems, but I'm trying to take care of myself.
I enjoy life, both when alone and when my family is nearby. I love holiday get togethers when the entire family is together. That is difficult these days because the men in the family are all long distance truck drivers working for the same firm, but traveling in different directions at different times.
I think if you try volunteering for some community projects, take up a new hobby, get a pet, renew some old freindships, etc., you will find the time will go quickly. Keep in touch with those kids, though. What you may consider "bothering" them, might be a lifeline to them. When I was in school, I enjoyed hearing from my parents. Especially if there was some green included...lol. A money-manager, I have never been.
Welcome to the group. I hope you find your niche.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-MqWXjIM1eacjJ77q9wkswg--;_ylt=AgfbngzLT12FakAufPfu72G0AOJ3?cq=1

#126962 - 09/16/07 04:44 PM Re: Empty nester too!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
thanks, Dotsie!
dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#126963 - 09/16/07 04:51 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: countrygirl51]
dancer9 Offline

Country girl,
Your life sounds so full! I love all that you are doing!
I hope to find more to fill my days and make my life what I'd like it to be. I've just started but this forum has been very, very good to me in giving me the imagination to create a new life and the patience it takes!
dancer9

#126964 - 09/17/07 01:46 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Country girl, I rmember when you were in nursing school just a few short years ago. Look how far you've come! Congrats.

#126965 - 09/18/07 01:04 PM Re: Empty nester too!
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
My nephew left for college this past weekend and my sister is feeling the loss deeply. Her whole life was her son. Someone at work asked her how she was doing and she burst into tears. My BIL is doing better, but he lost it too, when they returned to an empty house, with their son's clothing gone, etc.

I know they will adjust - and she realizes that she doesn't want him to live at home until he's 40. Still, what an adjustment!

laurapoplin.com

#126966 - 09/18/07 03:30 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: dancer9]
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I went through a terrible depression when my youngest left for college as well, and she was only 15 miles away! A variety of things got me through it, but one of the most practical was a book called "Letting Go." I believe it has been updated in the last several years and you can probably find it on such outlets as Amazon.

http://www.thefellowshipofthedevastated.com

www.arivaevents.com

#126967 - 09/18/07 08:24 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: WizardofZA]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I hope and pray I don't fall into a depression when our grandbaby goes back to live with her parents. I really am starting to dread that day all ready. Hubby said we just have to immediately pack our bags and go somewhere...anywhere!

It will be difficult because it looks like we will be taking care of her for another good year. She is so loving and clingy, snuggles in bed with us every morning, plants soft little baby kisses on our cheeks and makes us sing her never ending nursery songs till we can’t take it any more, … or till her diapers can’t hold anymore…. and then we flee to make breakfast.

I don’t think Hubby will ever be able to water the garden without her. She’s so cute, following him everywhere, planting tulip bulbs and watering them with her little baby watering can. Here’s a picture of our Honey-Bunch/Sweety-Pie with Grandpa. Oh yes, it was a crisp autumn day last week.

#126968 - 09/19/07 01:34 AM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: Edelweiss]
dancer9 Offline

Adorable, Hannelore! How wonderful for you and for your grandchild to have each other!
dancer9

#126969 - 09/19/07 01:26 PM Re: Empty nester too! [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hannelore, I absolutely love it when you post these photos. One of these days I am going to post photos right back at you. When visiting our son in Florida (he's the one in film school) he arrived at the hotel with a gift for me. He and a friend won a Canon digital camera in a photo contest. Since they both already have very nice digital cameras, they were kind enough to give it to me. I was touched. One of these days I am going to read the manual and get busy.

Anyway, I remember wondering if you were going to have energy to watch your grandbaby. You were posting in anticipation. And now your questioning if you will be able to let her go. God has gotten you to this point. He will not dissappoint you when she leaves. However, I think your husband has a great idea. Take off and occupy your mind with other things as soon as she leaves. Want to come to Baltimore? My husband has the same theory in life...you must always have a trip to look forward to. It's a wonderful way to live. And if not a trip, then soemthing out of the ordinary to keep life interesting.

Edited by Dotsie (09/19/07 01:29 PM)

#126970 - 09/19/07 02:54 PM Re: Empty nester too!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Having grandchildren myself, I can use my imagination and put myself in your position now Hannelore and know that I would be dreading the "leaving" as well.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your beautiful life!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved