The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126478 - 08/26/07 05:21 PM Real Estate Questions???
Anonymous
Unregistered

With today’s real estate market, I’m not certain whether I should sale (attempt) and purchase or hold my cards? I purchased my home in 2003 and was lucky to afford a 20% down payment and paid all closing costs up front. I’ve upgraded or paid out of pocket: kitchen/dinning pergo floors; garage door opener; fridge (standard 18 CU); interior paint, plantation blinds (faux wood); some lighting fixtures; microwave, solid surface stove (rarely used as I don’t cook; cats like to lay on it to keep ‘cool’); landscaping (additional trees, shrubs, perennials, raised garden bed); and additional sod (builder placed 3 pallets and I later placed 5 pallets, yet not entire yard is covered yet by centipede on .39 acre). My home is 1225 sf, and although I’m fine with the square footage, spreading across 3 bedrooms takes away from each room. If it were only bedrooms and a jack/jill bathroom, it would be much more spacious. Also, I’d like less yard. Why? Because in a few months I’ll purchase my own horse and don’t want to spend time in yard when I could be at the barn!

I purchased my present home new in 2003 after my divorce as I did not want to pay rent when I could have an investment and tax write-off. Also, I wanted to learn to live on my own.

I’ve always wanted a house in the country where I’d have my own horse on site, yet being single this is difficult b/c the work involved would leave little time for riding. Also, horses are social animals and would need a companion, i.e., another horse, donkey, goats, etc. All of which would require more money and care! Additionally, I’ve looked at ‘horse friendly’ or equine communities which are very expensive, above $250,000 for lot & home, not including fences and barn! So, have looked at townhouse communities around mid $150s. There are new concepts such as ‘villages’ with grocer, physician, business, parks, pools, walking paths, etc. all w/in walking distance and encompassed within the ‘village’ and mixed with single family and varied condos/townhouses.

My mortgage is $600, less than rent on a 2-bedroom apartment.

My vehicle is 7 years old with 85,000 miles and I’ve not had a car payment since 1995. Thus, I’m a bit frightened about having a car payment. I like to drive my vehicles 8-years, then sell rather than trade as I usually come out better. However, Fall 2008 I’d like to purchase a new vehicle with towing capacity for a 2-horse trailer. Thus, car payments.

So, guess I propose my question as should I sell/buy now with today’s real estate market (buyers rather than sellers market) and have a higher mortgage and drive my car 2 – 3 more years, or wait and purchase new vehicle and pay off then sale/buy new home while earning more equity and hoping market will improve and make a profit? Either way, I’d really like solid surface countertops, upgraded counters, plumbing fixtures, wood floors, etc. Perhaps by then, I could build my own cottage of my design and specifications on a smaller lot with the same square footage now and a 1-car garage. Who knows, perhaps I’ll come across an ‘antique’ home with original wood floors that I could up-date with ‘green’ materials?

Here I’ve exhibited the facts, thoughts that will affect my decision, yet local realtors don’t really care about a single woman’s thoughts that affect her decision making. They simply want to make a sale, especially with the present market.

I’d appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, let me know if you need my zip code. Having typed these scenarios, I find myself leaning towards waiting a few years until the next vehicle is paid off – for those who wait good things come! Yet, I would like your inputs. Thank you ladies.

#126479 - 08/27/07 01:15 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hard to expect any real estate agent to have the expertise to advise you on investment options. Maybe you should see a financial planner.

My instinct after reading your situation and without super-analyzing the facts, is to determine how long you can carry a mortgage like yours.

I suppose you bought a home that large as an investment. I know several single women who each have a large home and is the owner.

It does require time, money and effort to maintain a home beyond 2 bedrooms if you are single. I know a single woman who even manages and owns 2 homes --her parents that she inherited and a cottage 100 kms. away. She rents neither property. Each home has 3 bedrooms, garden and large lawns.

In the long-term it is always better to own a nice smaller residential property. after all, better to spend more time with horse than on the house???

#126480 - 08/27/07 07:03 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
When the market is a good buying market,…buy

When the market is a good selling market,…sell

If you have to sell in order to buy another piece of real-estate, do it only if you get a profit from the transaction.

My advice to you, MustangGal is to put your real-estate on the market at the price you need , in order to buy the real-estate you want . If you don't get that price, then don't sell. You have nothing to lose if you just try, but everything to gain. Also put your real-estate on the market as a private seller. If the market is bad, buyers will want to avoid real-estate fees.

I'm in the real-estate business in Germany, but the principle remains the same. Good luck to you. Hope you can full fill your dream.

#126481 - 08/28/07 12:49 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Edelweiss]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right now, it's a buyer's market, not a seller's! Also, many new subdivisions have homes not sold -- empty with no families! Sadly, phase 3 will begin soon in my neighboorhood, and there are unsold homes rented out -- seems one can tell the difference between a rented and owned simply by the yard's care.

Guess I had the bug. I'll hold my cards for now and hope for a better market letter where I'll profit and not break even.

Thanks for ya'lls help Orchid and Hannelore, good idea regarding FSBO, too!

#126482 - 08/28/07 02:47 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: ]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Mustang, you wrote" local realtors don’t really care about a single woman’s thoughts that affect her decision making. They simply want to make a sale, especially with the present market." I am a real estate broker in Colorado, and I would say that the above statement is not at all true here. We really care about a person's position, and it is a matter of ethics to be absolutely truthful. The brokers I work with agonize over how to help a client to the client's best interest. This is a buyer's market. That means that buyers can and will ask for the moon and the stars. In real estate terms, that means the buyers will ask the sellers to pay closing costs, to fix anything that needs repair, to pay for a home warranty for the buyer's first year...etc. For every home that is on the market, there are 7-10 just like them for sale too. Have you heard today's news that home values have declined for the first time in history. FSBO can be a nightmare. Yes, Mustang, I would agree that you hold your cards for now. I looked at horse properties over the weekend for myself. It is my dream too! And for now, it will remain a (sigh) dream. L, PL

#126483 - 08/28/07 06:43 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

What is FSBO?

#126484 - 08/28/07 01:34 PM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
For Sale by Owner

#126485 - 08/28/07 08:10 PM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Thanks Kathy. I came up with the wierdest things, like: Freaky Sellers BO, or Fouling Shack, But Out!
But not that one. ...Time for me to go to bed.

#126486 - 08/29/07 01:47 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Edelweiss]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hannelore, you don't use FSBO in Germany? Do you speak German? Is the buy/sell process as complicated as it is in COLORADO! I mean here, you can't even breathe in the house without disclosing that you took a breath. The contracts are pages and pages long. How about overseas?

#126487 - 08/29/07 05:59 AM Re: Real Estate Questions??? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Edelweiss Offline

Oh yes, Lenora, FSBO is done a lot in Germany…but of course we don't have the same abbreviation. I never sold real-estate in America, so I'm not familiar with the terms. And yes, I speak fluent German.

Selling privately in Germany is not difficult, because as soon as the seller has a buyer, then they go to the notary, and he does all the paper work. Real-estate agents in Germany don't have as much authority as they do in the States. Our job is primarily getting buyer and seller together. The contracts and so forth are all done at the notary for which he gets 1,5% of the sales. We don't get as high commissions as the real-estate agents do in the States. We usually just get a commission from the buyer, and that is 3,5% of the sales price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved