The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126441 - 08/26/07 02:20 AM Family "starved"
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A friend used this term recently and I believe that is what I am. I miss MY blood family.

It's just DH and I...and doggies and kitty of course. But the closer it gets to Autumn, Harvest, holiday times, it hits us hard. Sadly we cannot afford to visit anyone and no one comes here.

I found it interesting that DH misses his brothers MORE than he longs to see his kids. Maybe that comes with divorce. Although his kids love him (and with the new grandbaby #2 coming, one would think.....), I guess it's the mother in the family who feels differently.

But I just needed to WHINE about missing my family so much I could bawl my eyes out. And my mommy.......I miss her so much. She's gone almost 32 years now but I sure could crawl up onto her lap and just sob.

Edited by Di (08/26/07 02:22 AM)

#126442 - 08/26/07 07:13 AM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Di]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Di, I am feelimg very close to you right now. I miss my Mommy too. She was and will always be the best friend I have had the honour of having in my lifetime.
I too miss my family. I am in the USA. My brothers, sisters, children AND grandchildren are ALL in Canada.
For someone who is outgoing, caregiver and avid volunteer,I am now in the USA as a spouse with no visitors and spend much time alone. No one comes here either...

I join you in lamenting about missing your family. God Bless you sister. You are not alone in your yearning.

#126443 - 08/26/07 08:09 AM Re: Family "starved" [Re: chickadee]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
As I am with you and Di, Chick.

Mom passed away many years ago and there is not a single day I do not think of her and I miss her so, so much. My heart has not ceased aching since she passed away. I cannot write more. It has become too difficult to do so.

#126444 - 08/26/07 02:19 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Oh, dear friends, I so hear the longing. I am so sorry for all of you.

My prayers will be with you today.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#126445 - 08/26/07 02:51 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Anno]
Mountain Ash Offline

I too feel the loss of the special family I was born into.We all have dates on the calendar which are significant and make it one more year since we were together.
The extended family my Mothers cousins are all gone.I never was a girl who asked for help is the fact I can't breath the air they breath anymore.If I am ill I miss him more and I have come to realise that this is a barometer of my well being.
One way I have made things better is by always working at celebrations for the children I worked with.Creating events that gave them milestones to enrich their lives.
Its as I age I realise that these things are so important.
We can unite with others who feel the same.Hold our hands out to each other.
Mountain ash

#126446 - 08/26/07 02:54 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

The adults set the scene
Trimmed the tree
Hung stars at the windows
Put holly on window sills

They wrapped presents
Someone’s Uncle became Santa
Planned with precision
The Sunday school party

Each year for all of my childhood
Always on Christmas Eve
A rolling booking in the church hall
Tradition .. set in memories bank

Long tables set with goodies
Ice cream at half time
The hush when the lights went off
Someone’s baby sister always cried

But I knew the format
Saw the nod ..the wink
Worked out the system
Smallest to the tallest

For me... a baby boomer
A war just newly past
Knew nothing of hostility
Just warmth and joy and God

My turn now to serve there
Same hall same church same God
Lingering kindly in the shadows
Those lovely folks of old

#126447 - 08/27/07 05:12 AM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Mountain Ash]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Now that my parents are both deceased I am an orphan...and I miss my Mother every single day...she was the sweetest, most loving, funniest woman I have ever known and I will never stop missing her..but I am very lucky in that I have been blessed with some very special girlfriends who have become my sisters in the truest sense of the word...we spend holidays together and vacation together and worry about our children together...sometimes God sends us "family" even if we don't share the same blood lines...we simply have to be open to recognize them.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#126448 - 08/27/07 07:31 AM Re: Family "starved" [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Yesterday my mother had a stroke. She's in the hospital now, had a brain scan and is under observation.

On the way to the hospital I couldn't stop crying. I prayed that God take her, because I love her so much. I want her to be spared a move into an old age home, where I just know she will be terribly unhappy. I want her to sleep peacefully into the other side of life. I love her so much that I am able to give her free to forever peace. I also prayed that God make me strong, and put me into the role as my mother's guardian angel. I felt a peace come over me and stopped crying. In the hospital I was able to smile at my Mom, hold her and tell her how I love her, without crying. My mission is to make this transition for my mother as easy as possible. It's about her life and her departing; not mine.

That's how I felt before my father died. I suffered more before he died. I suffered seeing him in pain. And when the time came, I felt relief that he finally was at rest.

My Dad lives in my heart, and is always with me. I never ever lost him. So I think, when you are all in pain, because you miss you loved ones, try to find comfort in the fact that they are at peace. They feel no more pain, sorrow, or loneliness. They have completed their journey, now it's our turn.

#126449 - 08/27/07 01:25 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hannelore, I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't wait to hear how she is doing now. Please know that we will be praying for all of you and the doctors and nurses involved.

I have faith that you will be all you need to be for her right now. Affirm her life every chance you get. Keep talking to her, touching her and making her aware of your love. This time is a little gift for you and her. Make the most of it. I know you will.

Please keep us posted.

#126450 - 08/27/07 02:18 PM Re: Family "starved"
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
AvalonBlondie, what an immense joy to hear your voice again!

Hannelore, my heart is with you as you struggle through this painful day and experience with your Mom. I'm carrying you both in my heartprayers throughout the coming days...like Dotsie, said, keep us posted, and lean on us when you need some support to lean against...

(Maya Angelou)

#126451 - 08/27/07 03:12 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh Hannie, I'm so terribly sorry. I cried reading your post. Please know that you and your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#126452 - 08/27/07 04:53 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Dianne]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hannelore, I am holding you and your Mom in prayer. Please, keep us posted when you can.
Hugs

#126453 - 08/27/07 07:04 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

What would I do without my Boomer friends? Thank you for being there for me. It means the world to me.

Mom is doing better. She recovered fast, which is supposed to be an excellent sign.

A really good sign is that she's complaining about the doctors. She claims they are keeping her in the hospital on purpose, just to fill another bed and cash in more. Hah! That's my Mom for ya. She's terribly bored, and says the lady she's sharing the room with couldn't even keep up a conversation if a ventriloquist were working her mouth.

I thank you, and my mother thanks you from the bottom of her heart for all your prayers. She is so happy for me, that I have you all…and hopes that someday I can make a round trip to get to know everyone personally. I hope so too.

Dianne, that touched me so that you cried with me. Lola called me this morning from London. How wonderful is that! Lola, I don't want to call you back so late. Hope you read this, and see that all is better in German town. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow.

Love you all,
Hannelore

#126454 - 08/27/07 07:48 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Edelweiss]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Praying all continues to be well, Hannelore. All my best and lots of hugs to you both from London.

#126455 - 08/28/07 11:56 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Lola]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Hannelore, I just read this post and want you to know you and your mom are in my prayers. Your post really touched my heart, made me think of my wonderful MIL who was more like a mom to me. I know exactly what you mean when you asked God to take her instead of her lingering and suffering. But I am glad she is doing well. Like Dotsie says, be there, talk to her and show her how much you love her.
God Bless,
Gerri

#126456 - 08/29/07 05:38 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: gerrbeck]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hannalore, I'm happy to hear that she recovered quickly. That IS a good sign. I speak feom experience because I've been through this with a loved one. I'm keeping the well wishes and happy thoughts coming your way...and when you make that trip, be sure to include Baltimore, MD!

#126458 - 08/29/07 08:06 PM Re: Family "starved" [Re: ]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Hannelore: I just read this and I pray your mom continues to recover fully. I admire your selflessness and strength. May the Lord continue blessing you, that you may continue blessing others.

For all the boomer friends missing their loved ones... I am so glad for friendships that brighten our days, even when we miss our loved ones so much! What would we do without friends?

One way to not notice the absence of the loved ones so much is to get involved in helping others that might be lonely or in need. That always helps, no matter the time of the year, but is specially true during the holidays. God bless you all and... I thank God for your friendship and this wonderful forum that makes us all ONE family!
NABBW & NAWW

#126459 - 08/30/07 08:42 AM Re: Family "starved" [Re: Songbird]
Edelweiss Offline

Hello friends,
Mom is tickled pink to be back in her apartment. It was like Christmas and birthday together.

I have noticed, though that she has suffered under memory loss, and is a little more confused. I hope this is just a side effect, and that she'll recover.

Monday she'll be going to stay in an old age home for one week, just to see how she likes it. I hope and pray that she will accept that. It would be so much easier for me to know that she is under a 24 hour care. But I don't want to force anything on her, so I'm leaving it up to her right now if she wants to move permanently there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved