The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12606 - 02/18/03 04:01 PM Day of Prayer /03/03/03
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I received an e-mail from a friend informing me of a move to make March 3, 2003 a day of prayer and fasting. The reason behind the date is that in scripture, the number three represents the Holy Trinity. [Wink]

The other reason is the state of affairs our country is in right now. We can take the day and pray for our country and any other prayer concerns we may have.

It is also suggested that we fast if we would like. I think for some it may sound extreme, but I will share something with you. [Wink]

I have fasted before with my prayer group. We rarely do it, but have when loved ones have had cancer. What we did was sun-up to sun-down, no food, only water. Every time we thought of eating we offered up prayers. It is a very simple thing to do and many prayers were offered on those days.

We also came away realizing how fortunate we are to have food at our fingertips!

I am going to give it a whirl. WIll you join me in praying for our country and other concerns? Spread the word! [Razz]

#12607 - 02/26/03 04:11 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anyone in here interested in joining me in prayer and fasting on 3/3/3?

7:00am - 7:00pm only food, and you offer up prayers when you think of food! [Big Grin]

#12608 - 02/26/03 05:02 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I think the idea of prayer is great, but will have to compromise on the fasting, due to my diabetes. Being Catholic, I might consider abstaining from eating meat as a compromise. I think the day of prayer is an excellent idea, and the date chosen is perfect for it.
Thanks for sharing that. I will pass it on to my other email friends and also post it at work and in our church bulletin.

#12609 - 03/03/03 02:19 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am going for it ladies. Today is the day I am fasting and praying. It's only 8:42am and I am already hungry. Whenever I think of food, I will offer up a prayer. There's gonna be a whole lot of praying going on! [Big Grin]

#12610 - 03/03/03 06:40 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I'm praying for you that you'll make it Dotsie [Big Grin]

Seriously -- I do pray for our world -- that cooler heads will prevail and our egos don't blow us all up!

And I pray for the innocents in this world -- the children and animals that have no say in any of it. For the earth itself -- for what we have done to it in order to have this powerful nation of ours. For the people living in poverty or under the thumb of a zealous dictatorship.

and mostly I pray that God will forgive us all

#12611 - 03/04/03 08:22 AM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
Teri Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I think fasting is a great thing. If you have diabetes or other reasons that you can't fast from food, then fast from something else. Like radio, tv, chocolate(i know this is asking alot! [Wink]

I like doing this for a week at a time. It makes us focus on what matters.
[Razz]

#12612 - 03/04/03 04:17 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Teri, how do you do this for a week? When do you eat and not eat? [Wink]

#12613 - 03/04/03 04:38 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, which means that Catholics all over the world will begin fasting and abstaining on a regular basis. This does not mean that they will quit eating altogether. It means they will eat one main meal and a light meal as needed through the day for strength. They will abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday, and Fridays during the Lenten season. Also many of them will "give up" other pleasures in their life for that short period, whether that be sweets, a habit (smoking, drinking, tv) or whatever they treasure. Some will give money and time to charitable causes. Some will simply try to do something extra special for someone each day during this time of reflection and penitence. It is good for the soul and for the psyche.

#12614 - 03/04/03 06:07 PM Re: Day of Prayer /03/03/03
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
This is also the period of the Baha'i 19-day fast (the Baha'i calendar is 19 months of 19 days, with a few days left over. So this is a month of fasting). The fast is from sunrise to sundown, and between that time, there's no eating, drinking, gum chewing, or anything. I've been doing this for years. It's a wonderful time for reflection and growth.
It's gotten easier over the years too. I learned to eat rib-sticking foods in the pre-dawn hours, like oatmeal and potatoes left over from the previous night. The worst thing for me is getting tired in the afternoon, and getting cold. Now though I've quit caffeine completely, so getting tired isn't much of an issue any more.
In the early years, I used to pig out at night, but soon found that to be counter productive. Now I drink lots of water, and am satisfied with less food.
And I've learned not to enter a grocery store during the daylight hours of the fast!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved