The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12511 - 01/29/06 10:24 PM making MIL happy
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
yesterday was a good day with my MIL. her growing dementia creates problems with her and her 6 sisters. they have always been very close with only minor problems between them but MIL is now accusing one of them of being mean to her. last year it was a different one. the list of supposed wrongs has been growing since fall.

i get calls from both of them. MIL calls to repeat the offenses, aunty calls to make sure we still love her in light of MIL's accusations. i do know it is all in MIL's imagination. she will take an innocent word or gesture, fume about it until it becomes a huge incident in her mind, then lash out.

she called me on friday to invite me to lunch on saturday with "people I want to be with". (the sisters always meet for lunch on saturdays so she was avoiding lunch with them.) i told her i'd pick her up and we'd meet my SIL near where she works for lunch. i got 4 subsequent calls from her telling me that we should eat near where SIL works so we could meet her for lunch. each time i have to pretend its the first time we've had this discussion.

so,,,,i picked her up at noon. SIL couldn't get off work so we went to lunch, shopped at a jewelry store where she enjoyed looking at her birthstone jewelry, picked up a few groceries, then went to have manicures together. she had never had a professional manicure so really enjoyed that. every time she started to go into the woes with her sister, i didn't try to defend the sister, just told MIL she would have to put it aside because she was only hurting herself by holding on to hurt feelings. then i would change the subject as quickly as possible.

after i took her home, she called me on my cell before i even got home to tell me how much she enjoyed the day and that she loves me. this is a woman who has never been very affectionate so i guess miracles really do still happen!

[ January 29, 2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#12512 - 01/30/06 04:11 AM Re: making MIL happy
ladybug Offline

Didn't it make you feel good to hear that? Try to take her out as much as possible and "make her day" while she is still able to comprehend what's going on in the world. You'll both benefit from each other's company and you'll be glad to reflect on these special days when she is no longer able to herself.

You're really a great daughter-in-law as she's now discovering.

[ January 29, 2006, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#12513 - 01/30/06 07:04 PM Re: making MIL happy
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Flipper, timing is everything.

Will you be my MIL? [Big Grin]

#12514 - 01/30/06 10:07 PM Re: making MIL happy
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Flipperjo, that is awesome. I believe that when a person is mentally or physically not with it, their soul is - and is nourished when they have communication from us.

When I have a loved one who is not mentally there, for instance someone who is dying and is in a drug induced coma, I still talk to them as if they were consious. I think their soul hears and is comforted.

So regardless of your MIL mental state, the real woman inside understands your love. I'm glad she was able to tell you how she feels about you - she is sure fortunate to have you for a DIL.

Daisygirl

#12515 - 01/31/06 04:01 AM Re: making MIL happy
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You are to be admired Flipperjo for having and showing the understanding and love it takes to deal with this illiness and the person afflicted with it....I know how hord that can be. Bless you and your MIL.

[ January 30, 2006, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#12516 - 01/31/06 09:00 AM Re: making MIL happy
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
thank you for your support, all of you!

it is hard sometimes to put the past behind me with my MIL and FIL. they always did think that whatever they thought or did was RIGHT. theirs has been a difficult family to be a part of.

dotsie, i'd gladly take you on if i could! i have certainly learned how NOT to be a MIL and my DIL makes it easy to be the right kind.

my MIL day on saturday reminds me of my own mom and her MIL. she told me one time, "I never could stand that woman until she was senile - she was so sweet then."

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved