The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#124760 - 08/06/07 02:52 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Gerrbeck, has your hubby ever thought of advertising as a "handy-man?" Just a thought. He could do a flyer and put on there that no job is too big or too small

My hubby didn't even have to advertise...he started doing small repair jobs for neighbours, charging each one according to their financial ability, and through word-of-mouth, has been working steadily for years. In fact, he could easily have enough work to keep him going 24/7. He often has to say no because he can't keep up with the demands.

One of his major sources of handyman work is with immigrant families who don't speak much English...these are the people who often get scammed by contractors who take advantage of their limited understanding of the laws and language. Hubby often is called in to repair the shoddy work left behind by these unscrupulous so-called professional repairmen. He doesn't charge much and will often wait patiently for weeks or months to get paid, because many of these people can only afford to pay him in small installments, but in 10 years, he's never yet been scammed or not paid. He's built up such a solid reputation and grateful clientele, that he would have no problem translating that experience and reference into a full-time job if he needed to.

(Maya Angelou)

#124761 - 08/09/07 01:29 AM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: jawjaw]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi all, I continue to read your thoughts and prayers. Song, you'd be interested to know that on the day you wrote your post, before I read your post, I had a desire to buy a fountain. So, I bought a table top fountain, symbolic of fountains of blessings. Thank you.

#124762 - 08/11/07 12:39 AM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Nothing has changed.

#124763 - 08/11/07 03:23 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Lynnie, I just came across this thread and want you to know you are deeply in my thoughts and prayers. It must be so tough. I remember being in dire straits one time, financially, and a friend told me (about creditors) that they couldn't crucify or kill me so just do the best I could. That's what I did and I'm still alive today.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#124764 - 08/11/07 04:41 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thank you Dianne. You are way more than alive! You are a vibrant being who brings life to others as well. I am helping a woman write her story of DV, and the injustice of the systems, such as custody battles. The book she borrowed from me to give her hope, insight, and inspiration is yours: Whose Face is In the Mirror. Even when you don't know it, you are helping others with your courage and love for others. As for me, I know I must have learning lessons during this time of lack of income. I'm sure the lesson is to focus on what is abundant, which has nothing to do with income. What is abundant is friends. The woman I am helping to write her book did not describe a friend who was a crucial support person. I encouraged this would-be writer to describe her friend more fully, because often women in dire straights are helped not by family, but by friends. Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts. L, PL

#124765 - 08/12/07 06:58 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, I wish your hubby lived her or we lived there. We're getting ready to have out bathroom done. I'd love to give someone like him the job.

Lynnie, how's your hubby? Any update?

#124766 - 08/12/07 07:30 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Eagle Heart,
I have suggested he think about doing handy man work. I didn't get too much of a response. I am afraid he is sinking into depression. It really has been a bad year for us and he's pretty much reached a breaking point. He spent several days mostly just staring at the TV and sleeping. Last weekend my schedule got rearranged so that I was able to work it out for us to take off to Orlando to spend the weekend at my sisters and relax and regroup. I figured after a few days away we'd be better able to deal with things. Sometimes you have to do that. I am trying to be supportive and patient, but he has to do something soon. He hasn't made any effort yet to look for work, but then again, we had some other things to settle first. We had the plumbing problem to clean up and repair, then a court date over a dispute last week, that went much better than expected thankfully. Now he's been called for jury duty. I hope that doesn't drag on too long. He did file for unemployment, which he'll get, but only half of what he was making. I have picked up a few new customers, so that's going to help out. I picked up the latest copy of Woman's Day magazine Friday and there was an article about work from home jobs. I am going to look into those possibilities. Hanging in there.
Gerri

#124767 - 08/12/07 07:42 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: gerrbeck]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotie,
I need to talk with you about who is doing your bathroom . I need tile work done behind my tub . I have that fiberglass that is in terrible shape . I need to know a good tile man around town.

Renee

#124768 - 08/13/07 12:38 PM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Sadie]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Lynn: WoW! A table-top fountain! The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?

How is your mom doing?
Regarding savings, he story of Elisha comes to my mind, when the widow with two young sons was in danger of having her sons sold to pay the debt: Just as the bottle of oil kept pouring oil, which she then sold to pay the debt, God can stretch your savings to sustain you in this period of lack of income.

This friend who is writing needs your help and support. Now you have the time to help her in this project. And don't forget how the Lord feeds the sparrows too. And he said a human being is much more important, so HE will provide one way or the other. Please, don't lose faith.
NABBW & NAWW

#124769 - 08/15/07 02:03 AM Re: Feeling funny, freaking out [Re: Songbird]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks for asking about an update. Nothing has changed. I am hanging in there. I will try not to lose faith. L, PL

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved