The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#12384 - 05/18/06 08:28 PM eldercare legal help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I read an article about women on the move and they mentioned a woman lawyer who lives in Philly. The magazine is Arrive and it's on all Amtack trains in this NE corrider.

Her name is Debra Speyer. She's a lawyer and advocate for the elderly. Most of her cases involve elder fraud or elder law.I bet you could Google her to learn more. The article mentions that she does pro bono work for a group called Senior Law.

Just thought I'd share.

#12385 - 05/18/06 10:14 PM Re: eldercare legal help
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Speaking of elder care, there was a great article in this month's Ladies Home Journal about nursing homes.

One daughter realized her mom wasn't getting proper care and the right medication, and when she complained, the nursing home got a restraining order against her. She could not legally go see her mom, and the court date was five months away!

Her mom died two days before the court date, so all that time the mom was not being taken care of and the daughter could do nothing! I'm afraid I would have broken in and kidnapped my mom - that's so horrible.

The article gives some good advice on what to look for in a nursing home, tips on how to complain for results, and news on new types of nursing homes being built that are much better.

#12386 - 05/19/06 08:12 AM Re: eldercare legal help
Still Crowded Offline

Loc: Olympia, WA
A restraining order? That is horrifying! I think I would have blasted letters to the editors and the mayor, if not the governor. No one should be kept from an elder parent like that. EVER. I'm furious, and I know it's long past . . . what a terrible ordeal for the mom and the daughter.

#12387 - 05/19/06 05:47 PM Re: eldercare legal help
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Yeah, this story's been reeling around in my head ever since I read it. It makes me cry, and I too feel so enraged at the unbelievable agony of the situation. I cannot imagine what I would have done in her shoes, but I suspect that I would have gone berserk in my efforts to move heaven and earth to see my mother. But I'm all too painfully aware that when you're dealing with legal bureaucracies, you're often banging your head against brick walls. Very sad when it's your own mother on the side of that brick wall!

#12388 - 05/19/06 09:46 PM Re: eldercare legal help
Raven West Offline

Loc: California
I've just attended at 2 day conference with the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform. There were over 300 attendees. I'm sorry to report their organization is over 25 years old and not much "reform" has taken place, but at least now the media is FINALLY realizing the importance of what will be affecting a greater number of "boomers" as our parents age, as will we all.

Raven West

#12390 - 05/28/06 07:25 AM Re: eldercare legal help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Raven, how is your association coming together? Were you networking?

#12391 - 06/01/06 07:09 AM Re: eldercare legal help
Raven West Offline

Loc: California
The National Association to Stop Guardian Abuse began to organize on May 15 after I attended a two day conference by the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform. Our egroup now has over 25 members and over 250 messages. On July 31, in Chicago, members Paul and Helen are organizing a "Push The Walker" campaign. We'll have flyers, photos of victims and much more information on the guardianship abuse. I'll post details as soon as I have them. For more information on NASTA, please visit our web site at http://stopguardianabuse.org.

#12392 - 06/02/06 02:50 AM Re: eldercare legal help
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is fantastic Raven, this is whats needed by people to get others to take their heads out if the sand....Wonderful work!!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved