The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#123869 - 07/19/07 06:42 PM boomer fashion tips
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I saw this and wanted to share. Not much new, but I couldn't agree more with the tip about clothes fitting properly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19726479/

What do you think?

I've seen a couple boomer women in too short, too tight skirts this summer and it was a real turn-off.

#123870 - 07/19/07 08:48 PM Re: boomer fashion tips
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I know what you mean. And tank tops and plunging necklines...

I know I need to update my wardrobe. I'm still wearing t-shirts and jeans from WalMart most days. I'd love to have the income to update my wardrobe but wouldn't have a clue how to go about it.

I find shopping to be overwhleming though, so I rarely go. I used to love to shop. I also have noticed since the onset of menopause that I don't like the big malls and overcrowded stores. When a hot flash hits and I'm in a very crowded place it heightens my anxiety.

There were good tips at the link. Thanks!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#123871 - 07/20/07 02:02 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: starting over]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I recently read somewhere that women over 40 should not wear capri pants. I love my capri pants in the summer. I can't figure that one out. I have always been a conservative dresser, even when I was thinner and younger. I do love to shop, but I am hard on myself because I am not happy with my weight. Tomorrow I am starting a new workout program, so hopefully this will help. When I was ballroom dancing regularly, I bought some great clothes that are timeless. Now my goal is to get back into them. And shoes...I love shoes! I think if you like what you are wearing and feel good in your clothes it changes your attitude. It doesn't matter where you buy them, I love some of the things at Target, just as long as they fit well and feel good.

#123872 - 07/20/07 02:31 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: hotflashgal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hotflashgal, I love capri pants too. In fact, they work well to hide my thighs yet stay cooler than long pants. I don't wear shorts out of the house anymore, except to play racquetball.

I'm going shopping on Saturday to try to find something to wear to the wedding we're going to in Oklahoma.

Do you ever find that when you have the money to shop, you can't find anything you like, but see all kinds of cute stuff when you're broke?

Kathy

#123873 - 07/20/07 05:45 AM Re: boomer fashion tips
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
when I wear a skirt to work, it's the same old skirt...a black light wool lined skirt with small belt...and about 2-3 inches above knee. Wear low stacked heel dress shoes. I couldn't wear skirt down to the knee,..it would drag down a short person like myself. And I have zero interest in high heel stilts to balance off a long skirt.

It is actually difficult to find a dress, tailored and plain coloured skirt that fits me. Gettin' tired of hipster dress skirts.

Rules for boomer women...are useful for some women who don't know how to assess quality craftmanship in tailoring, cut and proper balanced fit, or have problems in colour coordination.

However not all boomer women are built the same.

I suppose for me to walk through the front foyer in lycra cycling shorts on the way to women's restroom to change, is the equivalent to a woman same age who is wearing a top at work that shows abit of her cleavage?

#123874 - 07/21/07 02:09 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I do all of my clothes shopping at thrift and consignment stores. Two of my favorites always have designer stuff. I can come home with 2-3 large bags (lawn/leaf size) of clothes, shoes and accessories (all well-made, designer labels) for about $100. I go shopping a couple of times a year and replace my entire wardrobe, except for one or two favorite pieces that I keep. The clothes I don't want go back to the consignment or thrift store - I get store credit for selling them back.

That reminds me, I haven't shopped in a while - guess what I'm doing this weekend!!??!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#123875 - 07/21/07 04:08 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The advice is great if you want to blend in with the nearest piece of cardboard.

OF COURSE we should wear styles that fit well. We should have been wearing styles that fit well for the past 50 years. Is there ever an age when people should wear styles that don't fit well???

As for the recommended daytime colors "Softer neutrals — navy, charcoal, black and khaki" -- 3 out of the 4 make me look like I'm attending my own funeral. (I look great in black, however.)

To me, this is another piece of lame advice from the "don't make waves" fashion police.

And what's wrong with a little bit (NOT plunging!!) cleavage? It draws the focus of attention away from our expanding mid-section.

Poet and essayist

#123876 - 07/21/07 05:17 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Quote:

The advice is great if you want to blend in with the nearest piece of cardboard.

OF COURSE we should wear styles that fit well. We should have been wearing styles that fit well for the past 50 years. Is there ever an age when people should wear styles that don't fit well???

As for the recommended daytime colors "Softer neutrals — navy, charcoal, black and khaki" -- 3 out of the 4 make me look like I'm attending my own funeral. (I look great in black, however.)

To me, this is another piece of lame advice from the "don't make waves" fashion police.

And what's wrong with a little bit (NOT plunging!!) cleavage? It draws the focus of attention away from our expanding mid-section.

Well meredith everytime I look at beige (but funky) dress pants,...I just drop it.... Warm light beige is a colour that's great if paired with an edgier top or bottom in style or colour. HOw bout call it "honey-coloured". ...I do love it with a warm creme colour. If a person has dark hair, light or dark skin, it works well on many women.

ANd grey...I have very little of...except for light silver or a blue summery grey to contrast with a jewel tone colour. Grey is not good on yellow toned skin.. It actually worries me that when I go grey-haired, I will have wardrobe colours that won't look well. And I truly don't want to start colouring my hair.

#123877 - 07/21/07 06:38 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Orchid -- gray, khaki, dark beiges and navy all give a hideous pallor to my light olive (read: green) skin. Then, I look stunning in fluorescent orange, and not many people can say that! I do have one pair each of gray and camel-color pants, but would never wear those colors next to my face.

Currently I'm about 25/75% salt/pepper. The salt part is more silver-white than gray, so it really doesn't change my clothing palette.

As a visual artist who works with color all the time, I literally cringe when I see people wearing colors that I call "kiss of death." Mine are listed above. For most blondes it's black and yellow, and for red-heads, pink and red. Brown-skinned people should not wear navy or gray. Then, of course, are all the variables within skin tones.

Articles (like the one above) which state that everyone -- regardless of skin tone, hair color or ethnicity -- should wear the same colors... actually, I have no idea what the author was thinking of, or if she was thinking at all.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I really hate that "EVERYONE should wear" attitude.

We are not "everyone." We are individuals, and one size -- or fashion proclamation -- does not fit all.

Poet and essayist

#123878 - 07/23/07 03:48 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I have that olive skin and one color I cannot were in "Yellow" and I love yellow , but with olive skin I look somewhat faded in . I stick to "Reds" which I love and "blue" and some "Green's " and love white on me and love to wear black and white combo . Can't wear orange either . I do well with "Pinks" also . My hair is dark brown , by the hair dresser . LOL

Rene

#123879 - 07/24/07 10:38 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Sadie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I stopped coloring my hair about 7 months ago and it is partly medium brown, but the sides are a silverish, and there is silver throughout. I am happy with not having to put those dangerous chemicals on my head after reading some medical reports. Scary stuff...I just want to be as natural as possible. The days for fake this and altered that are over for me, and I am still cute...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#123880 - 07/25/07 05:36 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I don't know how they can determine all women past a certain age would look good in the same color. Any brown tones make me look tired.

I asked my hair stylist when she thought I could go silver and she just looked at me and said, "Never". Oh well.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123881 - 07/26/07 01:56 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I don't know how they can say a certain type of clothing looks bad on all mature women. For instance, wouldn't the style of capris make a difference? Some are wide and some are narrow fitted to the leg, and a woman's body type would make a difference also.

Some of these articles directed towards women are pretty lame.

laurapoplin.com

#123882 - 10/18/07 12:53 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Sadie]
dancer9 Offline

Oh, I have so many, this was so much a part of my career! You name it, I have the answer to it! Lets see, some fun tips:
- when you brush your teeth, brush your lips! It takes all that dry skin off and makes them smooth, all make up artists and sales people do this daily!
- The most versatile hair style and most common cut for models is a hair cut that is right above your shoulders. It is long enough for up do's and short enough to make it look short if you want it to.
- To look slimmer and to be a fashion stunner, wear one color from head to toe.
- The designer Valentino once said: No woman over 21 should go completely sleeveless. ( Uh huh. no one listened!)
- "Take care of the shoes and the hair and the rest will take care of itself." This is a common saying amongst fashion folk. If your shoes are "all that," and your hair is right for you, you look dressed and nice. You are also judged by those two things if you are a woman.
- To look dressed without make up, clothing, and when you are in shorts or pajamas and go to the market, just buy a designer purse. The investment pays off, (these purses are sellable, and some are worth more and more with time,) it's an accessory that you can "wear," no matter what you wear.
- Everyone has time and money for a manicure. It will make you feel good about yourself and keep you caring about yourself. EVERYONE should have manicures. It's also the best gift to give your non-fashion-interested friend as well!
- EVERYONE cares about fashion. Even if they only pick the color of the T-shirt they wear everyday at the store. NO ONE will "just throw on anything."
- to dress up your look when you live in jeans or shorts all of the time, make sure your shirts have a collar, even if it's just a polo collar.
- Make sure you pluck your eyebrows so that the ends go up, this makes your eyes perk up and not look saggy.

I could go on and on and on! There should be an "ask dancer," thread on this sort of stuff!

Very fun thread. I had a blast!
dancer, fashion fun for everyone!

"Question your privilege"

#123883 - 10/18/07 04:20 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Looking at these tips from the fashion industry..dancer9, I haven't met half of these tips.

My idea of fashion treating myself is a good haircut.
I gave up wearing fingernail polish ...over 1/4 century ago. I just make sure my nails are clean and neatly cut. People might look at my hands, when I demonstrate something on the computer.

would agree wearing 1 colour head to toe is slimming...if it's not orange...

And a purse..1/2 of the time...it's a bike pannier. I actually spent some time last week, trying to find a tiny, flat unobtrusive purse that was lightweight to carry inside pannnier but I could take out to use when going to a nice restaurant/store off-bike during an evening out. Haven't been successful so far.

#123884 - 10/18/07 08:01 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dancer, I didn't know about the eyebrow curve, brushing the lips, and ideal hair length. Great suggestions, and tomorrow morning, when brushing my teeth and lips,...I'll be thinking of you...thanks!

#123885 - 10/18/07 11:17 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Hannelore, I loved your toothbrushing lady graphic!! Dancer, loved your tips....please, oh please write more!! Off to brush my teeth AND lips!!!

#123886 - 10/18/07 12:26 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Love your fashion tips, Dancer! Tell us more.

#123887 - 10/19/07 12:02 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks guys!

#123888 - 10/19/07 12:16 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

This is fun... I've been shopping with people like Sharon Stone so I know some things! I'm happy to share stuff and if you are looking for something for the body or to wear, I know where it is! I could keep a thread going just on this stuff!
Some more fun things:
Most models and actors have no nails. They get their manicure on their little-tiny-no nails, and then have them buffed. There is nothing more beautiful than buffed finger nails when done professionally. This look is amazing on woman of races that LOOK like their heritage too.
- Rince your hair with some vinegar mixed with a cup of water to make your hair so shiny and so soft you won't believe it! Do it about every three months to strip the hair of any residue. Even shampoo leaves a residue so it will work on anyone. If you have dark hair, use a red vinegar, if your hair is light, use white vinegar. About a quarter cup of vinegar and the rest of the cup water should do!
- Nothing in the way of creams has come onto the market that does ANYTHING for your skin except two products that can be prescribed. All other creams will do nothing to really help your skin and the best moisterinzer is really Crisco because you can't put water in your skin, you can only keep it ON your skin. The two products are Retin-A and Renova, and a lot of woman use these products to make their skin shine and keep it clear. They really work. Your face will peel first but underneath is beautiful skin!\
- Anyone interviewed who says they keep that thin from eating fish and vegatables for dinner is LYING. They don't eat almost at all before a "gig," and then afterwards, like, for example, Sharon, they are a size 10 or more.
- Don't brush or comb your hair. Be like models and actors and myself and only brush your hair when it's being done. After that, brushing only breaks hair and causes it to split. I never comb my hair all day or night until I am ready to do it the next day. And, only shampoo your hair every 2nd or 3rd day. May actors and models wash it once a week like in Europe. Wash it when it's dirty though, please! =)
-Any woman with skin color that is not white, and by white I mean you were born blonde, even those with slightly olive skin shouldNEVER have shiny skin. If your face is not shiny and it is matte, it will hide wrinkles, make your skin glow and make you look lovely. There are all sorts of products on the market to keep skin from getting shiny so ask me if you want one! NO shine on the skin = airbrushed look. You cannot get this look by just keeping your face make up free, your face will oil up anyway, so you get it with a product. It will make you look fab, my sisters!

If you want to be "in," this season, you can do the following:
- wear something grey, especially pants or a sweater.
- get or knit yourself a BIG sweater, really big, one that covers your butt!
- if you wear gray or black, pair it with something BRIGHT, and I mean crayon-bright, in maybe blue, or red, or yellow, it doesn't matter so long as you have only ONE thing that is bright with all they rest grey or black.
- wear gray period.
- use a flat iron on your hair style.
- the '20's are in and WAY in so if you have anything that looks like the 20's wear it, including menswear for women.
- get yourself a lot of tights and wear them with all your dresses. If you want to really be "hip," then wear your tights with that big sweater or a tunic. With boots is really happening, lol. It IS!
- wear your clothing that has a collar that is beaded. Dresses with "jewelry," are in, those are dresses with beading and the like around the collar.

I do not subscibe to being "in," ladies so know this is all tongue in cheek and done for fun. If you DO any of the above things you WILL be on the cutting edge of fashion though, even in Europe.

Like I said, Ihave tons.
Oh, and if you want your lipstick to last, put it on,and then powder your lips slightly and then re-apply.

Lastly, all the best designers agree: It takes a woman OVER forty to wear RED lipstick. RED lipstick looks GREAT on all women over 40 and always will!
dancer, having fun.
(sorry for typos. I was just having fun and typing away.)

Edited by dancer9 (10/19/07 12:42 AM)

#123889 - 10/19/07 12:48 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
dancer9 Offline

A P.S.
If anyone can knit a sweater, PLEASE tell me! I am willing to pay and I need one badly! I buy designer or hand made so I'm looking for someone who will knit a sweater and not rob me! If you will, bless you! I look for this every winter, and scarves too. If you can knit a cool scarf, please tell me!
Thanks everyone!
dancer needs a sweater.

#123890 - 10/19/07 12:50 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks Lady jane and Cookie! I did it for fun. All my life I've had to know these things! I've people brushing their lips now! We'd all look pretty funny if people saw that!

These tips are so fun, and if one helps someone, well, I'm thrilled!

To be clear, I'm not superficial which I think I've shown here, I'm pretty down to earth. I've friends who would not leave the house or come down stairs unless they are turned out, but that is not me. A dancer sweats and I've spent way too much time dripping from sweat after working out and getting into a shower is all I can do those days! ( Okay, I don't really go out, out, on those days!)
If I can help anyone with a problem or a product, please let me know. You would be surprised!
dancer

#123891 - 10/19/07 01:21 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

OPPS
Rinse your hair in vinegar BEFORE you wash it!!
dancer

#123892 - 10/19/07 04:45 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Quote:

- Rince your hair with some vinegar mixed with a cup of water to make your hair so shiny and so soft you won't believe it! Do it about every three months to strip the hair of any residue. Even shampoo leaves a residue so it will work on anyone. If you have dark hair, use a red vinegar, if your hair is light, use white vinegar. About a quarter cup of vinegar and the rest of the cup water should do!
- Nothing in the way of creams has come onto the market that does ANYTHING for your skin except two products that can be prescribed. All other creams will do nothing to really help your skin and the best moisterinzer is really Crisco because you can't put water in your skin, you can only keep it ON your skin. The two products are Retin-A and Renova, and a lot of woman use these products to make their skin shine and keep it clear. They really work. Your face will peel first but underneath is beautiful skin!\
- Anyone interviewed who says they keep that thin from eating fish and vegatables for dinner is LYING. They don't eat almost at all before a "gig," and then afterwards, like, for example, Sharon, they are a size 10 or more.
- Don't brush or comb your hair. Be like models and actors and myself and only brush your hair when it's being done. After that, brushing only breaks hair and causes it to split. I never comb my hair all day or night until I am ready to do it the next day. And, only shampoo your hair every 2nd or 3rd day. May actors and models wash it once a week like in Europe. Wash it when it's dirty though, please! =)
-Any woman with skin color that is not white, and by white I mean you were born blonde, even those with slightly olive skin shouldNEVER have shiny skin. If your face is not shiny and it is matte, it will hide wrinkles, make your skin glow and make you look lovely. There are all sorts of products on the market to keep skin from getting shiny so ask me if you want one! NO shine on the skin = airbrushed look. You cannot get this look by just keeping your face make up free, your face will oil up anyway, so you get it with a product. It will make you look fab, my sisters!

If you want to be "in," this season, you can do the following:
- wear something grey, especially pants or a sweater.
- get or knit yourself a BIG sweater, really big, one that covers your butt!
- if you wear gray or black, pair it with something BRIGHT, and I mean crayon-bright, in maybe blue, or red, or yellow, it doesn't matter so long as you have only ONE thing that is bright with all they rest grey or black.
- wear gray period.
- use a flat iron on your hair style.
- the '20's are in and WAY in so if you have anything that looks like the 20's wear it, including menswear for women.
- get yourself a lot of tights and wear them with all your dresses. If you want to really be "hip," then wear your tights with that big sweater or a tunic. With boots is really happening, lol. It IS!
- wear your clothing that has a collar that is beaded. Dresses with "jewelry," are in, those are dresses with beading and the like around the collar.

I do not subscibe to being "in," ladies so know this is all tongue in cheek and done for fun. If you DO any of the above things you WILL be on the cutting edge of fashion though, even in Europe.

Like I said, Ihave tons.
Oh, and if you want your lipstick to last, put it on,and then powder your lips slightly and then re-apply.

Lastly, all the best designers agree: It takes a woman OVER forty to wear RED lipstick. RED lipstick looks GREAT on all women over 40 and always will!
dancer, having fun.

Would have to study the 20's look abit ....must be dropped waistlines or empire waistline..and less busty look???

Tights...right now just for cycling. I don't even like capris on self...being 5'1" doesn't really encourage me lots to wear them...either long pants or shorts.

Flat-ironing hair...there's always a fashion phase for naturally straight hair gals vs. naturally wavy /curly hair gals. 1 thing about straight hair, is that the straight shine is uncompromising on how precisely a haircut is executed, how clean your hair is (or not), etc.

Never knew about the vinegar hairwash tip. But not for me...I wash my hair everyday. Yes, I had naturally oily hair for a long time in my life... My daily hairwashing stems back from teen years when I had acne...and it was on face and then starting on my back. So hence, doctor recommended more frequent hairwashing.. Now I still do it ..daily but with softer shampoos. Now it's partially because some days, I do sweat enough /exercise enough to justify full shower.

I agree with not brushing hair too often during day. However some women just have to have every strand in its place and perfect.

Maybe this sounds careless of me, but I gently brush my hair only 3 times in whole day --lst time when getting dressed for the day ..then 2nd time for um..20 seconds, on a work day after I get into the office from commuting /walking from bus stop...changing into work clothes from cycling gear. Then 3rd time for ..20 seconds after showering near end of day. On weekends hairbrushing is only morning wake-up and after shower in evening. So this means....I don't care/have time on weekends...what I look like all day when cycling, visiting stores, restaurants, etc. This is even true when on vacationing and touring in places. Usually I'm enjoying myself enough that I forget to look after my hair.

I have no time to shower first thing in the morning. I already bomb out of home at 5:15 am to get to work.

#123893 - 10/19/07 10:11 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Dancer, you should have seen me brushing my teeth AND lips yesterday!!! I laughed out loud at myself in the mirror....but I'll keep it up...it makes sense. Thanks for all the interesting tips!

#123894 - 10/19/07 12:01 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
Mountain Ash Offline

We have a SAGA magazine I read it in the dentist.Fashion tips aplenty.One think I agree with is the smock type top with leggings a top fashion tip here.SAGA says not for over 50's. I did buy a jersey smock top and gave it to a pregnant friend of my daughters.Its really the first time I have not been able to adapt what is High St fashion in a suitable way.I looked awful.
Mountain ash

#123895 - 10/19/07 06:45 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

And I'm sure you are all the lovelier for it, lady jane! Nice, smooth lips are something that everyone can use! Most cosmetic salespeople/ladies, use this trick but never tell the customers they serve. It makes us think that if we use their lip products, our lips too, will look like theirs.

One more thing: Doctors use your lips to tell them if you are hydrated. If your lips are cracked or have a dry look, they assume we are not hydrated enough, so remember to drink those 8 to 10 glasses of water. ( Models walk around with the BIG Evian bottles and down two a day.)

Happy brushing, let me know how it goes!
dancer, lip brusher too!

#123896 - 10/19/07 06:59 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Well, I still wear leggings with any top. They're comfy.

I don't know what I've done but woke up a week ago with my lips swollen and cracked (almost bleeding) at the corners. Then, sores formed on the inside of the lips. I'm still healing and keep Vaseline by my side. Not very pretty. We all want those pouty lips but not this way!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123897 - 10/19/07 07:16 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

Ouch! If you are sensitive, start with a washcloth and work your way up to your tooth brush! Sorry Dianne!
Those that are hard core use nail files, the paper kind!
THATS nuts.
dancer

#123898 - 10/19/07 07:32 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Mountain Ash, You could choose a more fitted tunic to wear with your tights! It would be a bit sexier by why not? There are some tunics that are cut to be closer to the body. There should be so many this season that there will be one for everyone! I know, trendy, but a comfy trend, esp. with boots.
Note: Boots are low this season, a break from those high heeled things we suffer in! There is a French company that makes comfortable heels in cutting edge styles but they are pricey. I wear them because of the comfort and they are made so well my muscled feel will not break them.
You can find them on Zappos.com and they are made by Robert Clergerie. Yes, they are pricy but will become your every day shoe so you get your monies worth and sometimes they go on sale there.
A shoe says a lot about a person. I wear designer shoes because I love the cut of shoes but I like Robert Clergerie for the comfort after I am done dancing.

One more tip:
The better shoe for your leg and muscles of your foot is the shoe that has a sole that does NOT move. Like a Dansko, or something. It exersices your feet, your legs and feels good too!
Dansko's can be found everywhere and are worn by tons of hospital personal. They also can be found at Zappos.com.
If you need any shoe, that site will have them if they are of any quality.
dancer

#123899 - 10/19/07 07:44 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
I read we are supposed to brush our tongues too...goodness, I might as well use a scrubbing brush and do the whole teeth, lips and tongue at once...what a sight!! hee hee hee!

#123900 - 10/19/07 07:47 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Countrygirl]
dancer9 Offline

LOL, Country Girl,
I use an electric toothbrush!
Fact: Lips have no pores. So, we cannot really put anything on them that can "sink in," in anyway. All we can do for lips is to protect them with the best thing we can find.
My favorites are shea butter, (which is the cream most chosen by professional dancers to soften feet and legs and to keep them from being dry. It has to be good shea though...) or a Carmax or something... It really is about what you feel does the best for you and what will cover them with something protective and non-drying. No magic bullet.
Course, Country girl can tell us that we can sloth them off and make them smooth before we put that stuff on them!

You have no pores under your eyes either. Be gentle.

I'm full of silly trivia here.
dancer

#123901 - 10/19/07 08:00 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

You're right, Orchid, dresses are dropped waist, or they are empire line. The menswear look is big with a hat, as women started wearing that man's look at that time. There are colors and sweaters as vests.

You might benefit from a vinegar wash anyway because there would be shampoo residue on your hair. If your skin is oily, it does help to wash your hair more often, you are right. You might try the rinse to see if it helps your hair.

The flat iron is used by women with straight hair! It is used by those with straight hair to make their hair sheet-like. They want hair that has a flat cuticle so it lies downn like it never did. It is a VERY flat look! It is used by woman with slightly wavey hair as well! Those with very wirey hair would use it as they always have: First have their hair straightened and then use a flat iron on that! There are women with very slightly wavy hair having it chemically straighened and then using an iron! To straighten your hair is not good for it chemically, but they do it so it is easier to keep up. It is a good look, the flat iron, that is, but requires using the iron daily so it's best to use a product to coat your hair first. I imagine you with very thick hair, is this right? It might be stunning if you were inclined to take the time to straighten it. Don't worry about damage if you condition your hair well when you wash it.

A matte face would look stunning also if you have oily skin. There are some new great products for keeping your skin matte that work easily. Being Italian, I use those products to make my skin matte and often it's all I wear, and I skip eye make up as my eyelashes are already black. Are yours as well? I skip lipstick altogether and stay with just a matte face when I am casual. I'm not the type, although I know all about it, to cover myself with make up. sSome women need make up to show up, and that is fine with me too.

I had one other thing I wanted to comment on in your post but I forgot it and cannot check your post from here! drat!
Oh well,
Best to you, Orchid,
dancer

#123902 - 10/19/07 08:12 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

To remind,
The vinegar rinse should be done only about every 3 months.
dancer

#123903 - 10/22/07 05:56 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Raise your hand if you've been brushing your lips...and tongue!

#123904 - 10/22/07 08:55 PM Re: boomer fashion tips
dancer9 Offline

Oh! I have, I have! What's good enough for this forum is good enough for me!
I'm also using Retin-A on my face which everyone should. (That or Renova.) It makes us shine! (Not as in shiny, never shiny! Stay Matte!)
dancer, has to watch such things...

#123905 - 10/22/07 09:55 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love all of this. I'm soaking it up like a sponge...

dancer, being a redhead, (and yes, it's MY hair) colors are hard to pick out. My eyebrows are none existent, and I would sell my left boob to figure out how to get rid of the "smoking" years around my lips. Any suggestions?

#123906 - 10/23/07 12:45 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Hi Jaw Jaw! Excuse me, but first, let me do this:
Orchid, If you saw orange, the right orange, with a pink, the right pink, you would see a "happening," combination. I know that orange is some people's nightmare and I must say that orange is hard to wear. I wanted to give you an option.

Thanks, Jaw Jaw!
Okay, redheads can look so very good in deep deep purples! I love that, it is so classy and so hip! If you accent that ppurple with deep green, (refuse to wear bright greens, please,) you will have a nice look for a redhead. Deep purple is full of good taste and says "I know what I'm doing when I get dressed!" Redheads look better in black than they think and tend to get a bit "cheap," for lack of a better word, when they give in to that need to wear green. Only accent with green and you will look like the sophisticated woman you are! Another color that is rare and that a redhead can blow the doors off is mustard! Mustard is incrediable on red heads! If I was a red head, I would dress in surprising colors that no redhead thought of and not listen to those sales people in some stores that bring you green, for example, or brown and tell you, "this will look so nice with your hair!" Try new things! If you want more colors, I'll give um to you!
You smoking lips are really treated with botox injections every three months but who wants that?
The thing that takes the edge of those and other things is called "Renova," or "Retin-A." Those creams are perscribed by your doctor, any doctor and they are used on your skin at night. They will cause your skin to peel, and peel a lot at times but there are ways to control that. With all that peeling comes layers of little wrinkles that were too deep! Also, as you peel your skin, it gets to be the same color all over and gets rid of those dark patches you can't see and light places. With one color of skin, they blend in nicely. The OMG thing that some women do, and some with success and some with burns is use salicylic acid which is found in wart remover products. This acid peels layers off their face very well, and as I said, sometimes too well! It vcan cause VERY serious burns and the women who use it well will buy callous remover, smear it on a nasty set of wrinkles for SECONDS and then wash it off FAST. I do not recomment you try this at home unless you are a nurse or you know how to use it because of some other education. BUT, you asked, so I gave it all to you! W/O Plastic surgery, those lines are hard to get rid of but botox wipes them right out. A shot of botox will last you about 4 months before your skin eats it so you have to keep it up again and again.

Hows that? I hope it helped. Let me know if you have questions,

dancer, wink

Edited by dancer9 (10/23/07 01:01 AM)

#123907 - 10/23/07 12:53 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey doll...got any tips for MOI?

#123908 - 10/23/07 01:03 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Oui, mon cher, did you get them?
dancer

#123909 - 10/23/07 01:12 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I can weaqr literally any color, blue eyes, light olive skin and brownish, now greyish hair. But for me comfort is my God now. I don't care about color or least of all style, I want comfort...

#123910 - 10/23/07 01:25 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Oh, Chatty, I want comfort too! to be cont.. I'll get timed out.
When you have Chronic Pain, you can get pain that makes your skin feel like little needles are sticking you. THAT makes me seek out whatever is soft and FAST.
For those times, I have some rules.
It has to be cashmere or fake cashmere if you can't afford it, and GOOD fake cashmere.
It has to have elastic waist if it's pants or a skirt, NO belts for me, NO waist bands, none of that hurting stuff.
It has to be something I can sleep it, so, I find myself buying those pants and tops that are made to wear mix and match in colors that I like and wearing them. It depends on your price point in finding them but many women find them at "Chico's." I like "C.P. Shades," but that is hard to find and a bit expensive.
Most of these clothes have a relaxing elastic waist band, your choice of a T shirt, or a shirt, shirt with collar, OR a sweater of the samem color. If you want a dress, they make dresses of the same soft cotton that match the sweaters and the pants so you can even wear the pants under the dress! When I hurt like that, I layer those cotton peices until I feel warm enough or cool enough to feel really good and I make sure the shirt or T, ( I really don't wear T's but if I did...) comes down long enough to let me forget about it coming up and showing the top of my pants or skirt! I want to forget about what I'm wearing and still look sheik! So, I choose, most of the time, matching colors and wear one color. Some women find those pieces and wear a patterned shirt make to match the pants or skirt and mix it up like that.
If the fabric is nice, and the color is nice, you will look very sophisticated and you don't have to try because these types of clothes go in your dryer and come out ready to wear.

That's what I'd do Chatty. I heard you say comfort, I really did!
dancer, Chronic Pain patient

#123911 - 10/23/07 05:13 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Hi Jaw Jaw! Excuse me, but first, let me do this:
Orchid, If you saw orange, the right orange, with a pink, the right pink, you would see a "happening," combination. I know that orange is some people's nightmare and I must say that orange is hard to wear. I wanted to give you an option.

dancer, wink

Did I ask about colour combinations? Anywy, I do have and enjoy wearing a lovely orange top, close to the shade I see in your avatar right now. I would call it a deep, rich cantaloupe shade.

Only certain pinks. A light but slightly strong pink, fuschia pink-mauve or a bright coral pink. I actually sewed a tailored dress in that colour and wore it for several years with a wide black patent leather belt and black shoes.

Yes, there are advantages in having naturally black hair. Jewel / some bright colours show very well.

Many elderly Asians can still wear medium bright red well... this is why I advocate an aging Asian woman never dyes her hair blonde...so she can wear red lively shades well.

The colour of luck.

#123912 - 10/23/07 11:15 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

I'm also a redhead like JJ, except m red is quite light. I can, and do, wear deep pinks and have always been told it's "my" color...I know that might be surprising. I also did something a couple of months ago which shocked even myself! I wore a YELLOW t-shirt and agonized that I'd look washed up. My husband loved the color on me as he's never seen me wear it. To my surprise, several other people commented, too. So I guess I didn't know all I could about what colors I can get away with. I was always afraid of looking washed out. I wear pretty much whatever I want but agree that deep blues and purples look nice....except my fuchia pink, which I love!

#123913 - 10/23/07 04:54 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Periwinkle is another color that I love and seems to draw ressponses from people, along with the mustard color, and purples..I love purples. I also love black for dressing up. Nothing makes me feel more feminine than a nice, simple black sheath with pearls!

ps---I'm not a deep redhead. I use to be in high school, but now I'm what is known as a strawberry blonde.

#123914 - 10/23/07 06:29 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Orchid,
Is red the color of luck!? How nice is that? I agree with you, we of some color can wear all jewel tones quite well but yes, red is a color we can wear the hell out of! We also look good in red, red lipstick if we are so inclined. My mother, a painter of some success before her illness took over, would wear only red lipstick and no other make up, (she was French/Italian,) and pull that off at night like I never saw! She had her particular ways because she was a trained painter and most of her "rules," were ones that worked.
Then there is that statement in fashion that women over 40 can wear red lipstick. If I wear red lipstick, I am DRESSED. I have to be careful with that because I am really looking dressed up with lip colour.

Red heads: Stick with the deep jewel tones to keep with a sophisticated look rather than a, for lack of a better word, "cheap," look. Red hair has all sorts of lore connected to it, some if it very funny!

No, Orchid, you did not ask for color combinations, you just expressed a dislike for orange head to toe. That CAN be scary unless it is a burnt orange. Again, orange with a bright pink scarf can be stunning if you have the right color.
The new mix for high, high fashion? Pastel green with purple, (deep.) This is a couture look that is being tried.

Funky. I like it better for home decor!
dancer

#123915 - 10/23/07 07:06 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

So given all of that, do you think my Halloween costume has all the right colors?

#123916 - 10/23/07 07:10 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

LOL, it's peachy, Jaw Jaw! It's Wonder woman, meets Madonna, meets clown. I'd say you'll scare the hell out of EVERYONE! LOLOLOL! Thanks for the phono, I love it.
dancer

#123917 - 10/23/07 08:06 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss Offline

Just brushed my eyeballs….Good Grief! Now I see two torpedo women!

#123918 - 10/23/07 08:14 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Lovely....scared me though!
Thanks for the laugh, now my butt hurts from falling on the floor!!!!!!! LOL

#123919 - 10/24/07 01:03 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Edelweiss]
dancer9 Offline

LOL, well, Hannelore, if you were in the biz:
You would brush your lips daily,
You would use a softish nail brush and brush your
face about once a week,
and you would use a scrub brush on your whole body about every two days.
Then, you would slather oil all over your freshy scrubbed body, over that you would put a layer of lotion that is derm approved, and over that you would put a heavy moisterizer with an SPF.

Yep.

what a life, huh?
dancer

#123920 - 10/24/07 05:09 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Lord JJ!

I have always brushed my tongue but I think I get carried away because I end up gagging myself. Not a pretty site!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123921 - 10/24/07 09:23 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ain't she/he purday? Listen up, for anyone NEW to the forums, they ain't me....k? I borrowed that photo off of photobucket. I just happened to think that maybe yo---whatever. LOL!

#123922 - 10/24/07 09:39 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Hahaha, I can just imagine you JJ! It's panic time!...I also thought that some of these ladies really thought it was you. What a hoot.

#123923 - 10/24/07 11:37 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Yes, tis true. That is NOT Jaw Jaw. Jaw Jaw is much thinner and only wears her costume on Sundays.
dancer

#123924 - 10/25/07 12:39 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Darn tootin'....here's mine

#123925 - 10/25/07 12:16 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jawjaw, you're a nut. And yes, your Halloween costume has all the right colors. Will you still have it on November 1st when we meet?

About brushing your lips. I have a question - what if you are using whitening toothpaste? Will we lose the color in our lips? Don't laugh. I'm serious. I'd hate to end up with flesh colored lips.

#123926 - 10/25/07 02:35 PM Re: boomer fashion tips
Cookie Offline

Any tips for dark circles under the eyes? I have allergies. On the days my allergies bother me allot, the darker the eyes. Make-up has helped a bit, but not allot.

I have been brushing lips too. They are soooo smooth and kissable.

#123927 - 10/25/07 05:11 PM Re: boomer fashion tips
dancer9 Offline

Dotsie,
Your lips are completely safe. There will be no side effects from brushing them. Lips have no pores, they can't soak in anything. If it worries you, you can just use your brush, but no worries, really!
If you want to put color on those lips, just ask!
dancer

Edited by dancer9 (10/25/07 05:13 PM)

#123928 - 10/25/07 06:19 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

Cookie, Before I go off on a full page lecture on dark circles, I have some questions. There are different reasons for dark circles, so:
How long have you had them? Were you born with them like I was as an Italian?
How do you treat your allergies?
Are your eyes puffy AND have dark circles?
Have you tried anything besides make up?
Has your doctor seen them?
And, are your circles AROUND your eyes, or just in the corner?
I need to know all this to throw at you all the tricks I know about dark circles.

I will say this: If you are applying make up to cover them, only use the cover up in the CORNERS of your eyes. If you use it around the bottom of your eyes, you will draw attention to them. Dot the concealer in the corner of your eye and really blend it in a downward motion towards the side of your nose, not in a circle around your eye!

Again, there are MANY ways to treat them but I need to know more about them! I'm happy to tell you what I know if you can tell me more about them!
warmest regards,
dancer

#123929 - 10/25/07 06:23 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
ladyjane Offline

Dancer, I have to say that in the week plus since I've been brushing my lips, they feel healthier, fuller and oh, so soft! What a great tip that was (considered I laughed at myself at first)!! Thanks! When you're in the mood to write more, go for it. I'm trying out this and that...a lot of fun AND finally some nice, personal things we can do to love and care for ourselves.

#123930 - 10/25/07 06:26 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

Sure Lady Jane,
I'll gather up some good ones and write more shortly.
dancer

#123931 - 10/25/07 07:38 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Cookie Offline

Hi dancer...
I developed really bad allergies about 10 years ago. Suffered terribly with them for 4 years and that is when the dark circles started. The allergies have gotten somewhat better, but the circles remain. Maybe it's just my age (52). I had been to the doctor for allergies, and was given allergy medicine that didn't really help all that much. And yes, my eyes are a little puffy at times too. The dark circles are mainly under & near the outer corner of the eye. I haven't tried anything else except make up. I have read that Preparation H works for puffy eyes. I'm a little nervous about trying that! Maybe if I would slip the tube of Prep H into a pretty box and label it eye cream instead of butt cream......

#123932 - 10/26/07 12:32 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

( I'm back with these by popular demand. I thank the ladies that ask me for these and like them. It's something I can contribute to the forum and that makes me happy.)

Okay, warming up for more tips!
Feet: Feet are important, they are what you stand on everyday! Have a pedicure or give yourself one at least every 6 weeks or so! There is a miracle cream for feet! It will soften your feet, get rid of the dry skin, and it's magic! It is over the counter, "who ever thought of trying this," drug-store stuff. The name of it is: Kerasal. You want it, you need it and you need to use it. If you really want to help your feet, put the magic cream on them and wear socks. I'm telling you, you will see the cream is wonderful on your FIRST try.

Puffy eyes: What rocks the world and is least expensive is called: Hydrogel Undereye Recovery Patch. Find it at Drugstore.com or Beauty.com which is the same site, they are connected. This product is by earththerapeutics and there is an earththerapeutics.com. THIS patch under your eyes for awhile, although CHEAP, will keep your puffiness under control for DAYS at times! Each 2 patches cost a bit over one dollar and they are the secret that works! It works, it works.
If you are one who likes to spend money, the favorite of women is the Chanel eye cream that works on dark circles and puffiness. Others have a lot of hype and are good, but this one from Chanel is what those who do not know about the one above use. It is good, yessiree. Get the patches, be good to yourself and don't share this secret beyond this forum or they will catch on and raise the price. Learn to keep your beauty secrets! (See how much I love you guys here?)

If you are overweight, the one mistake you can make when needing to look nice is to wear untailored clothing! If you are a bit overweight, you will look great in structured clothing as crisp and clean as you can get them. You want a collar, you want cotton or any other fabric that is crisp and you want it to FIT. Even getting a tailor or tailoring yourself is perfect! Most of those with some weight on them go for just the opposite. That's fine to be comfortable but learn to be comfy in clothing that look like a suit or pants and a blazer and one that FITS!

A wardrobe needs, and you should spend money, as much as you can on the following (in black, grey, beige, a color that you look nice in and feel good wearing):
-A dress for dinners and cocktails.
-A white shirt of any kind that is nice on you and that is classic enough to wear forever.
- pants/slacks, that are a classic cut and beautifully made. Nice fabric, nice fit and ready to go.
-A trench coat. A trench goes to dinner over your dress or over your jeans. A trench goes anywhere and you can even ONLY wear your trench in a pinch! Buy a trench.
- a sweater, it can be a turtleneck, (best,) or any style that is classic but make sure you spend your money on it because you will use it over and over again. It is like gold, it goes with everything and looks great.
-One great skirt. A line, pencil skirt, any classic skirt that you invest some money in. Make sure it's cut well, it looks good on you, and that you spend some time trying on skirts.
-pearls, faux or real. Pearls go with everything and make you look dressed. They look good on anyone, anytime. Make them the classic length so they never get dated.

There are a few more pieces but if you invest dollars in these pieces and build around them, you will have a brilliant wardrobe and be ready for anything. Really nice wardrobes can be built with very few clothes! Just invest in the pieces that count and play with the rest! I know they sound like they are too boring but trust me, if you have them and if you buy them carefully and they are comfy, you will wear them forever and you will always have something to wear. Make them a mission.

Never put eyeliner on the bottom of your eye after you are thirty! Never, never wear eyeliner on bottom! It makes you look terrible and older. Put all the eyeliner and mascara on your TOP lashes and you will look ten years younger.

Wear bold lips or bold eyes but never BOTH, not ever! If you love your lipstick, then keep your eyes very simple. If you never leave home without your eyebrows done and your mascara, don't wear loud lipstick... Both worn together on women of a certain age, of ANY age, well, makes you look like you may do crack or charge,...if you know what I mean!

Low pony tails, ladies. NEVER high ones! Please don't EVER wear a high pony tail and NEVER wear a scrunchy, just like they told you on "Sex in the City," never wear a scrunchy. They are "out," and will never come back.

IF you wear ONE thing on your face and HATE make up, make it blush if you are...say, over 40. A bit of blush makes us look years younger and brighten our look. If you like to go naked faced, try a natural color blush and watch yourself look lovely, refreshed, younger and just, well, lovely! Try Blush, make friends with it. It's great if you ONLY wear it, but wear it if you only have time for one thing leaving the house. Check this out...

If you have wrinkles you hate, I've lots of tips.

Big secret "save me," trick of actors and such: If you don't have time to treat your face with goop, every morning, fill your bathroom sink with ice water and yes, SPLASH it on your face a bit. It will take away puffy eyes, close your pores and make you look all fresh and loveable! I promise. A sink of ice water is your friend. Most I know put their face in ice water after a certain age, every morning. I'm lazy, I only do it for public appearances. Still, it's a good thing.

I am giving tips that work for most races and back grounds. There are special tricks for different racial backgrounds too. These are equal opportunity tricks and fun things to do for yourself.

whew, it's fun, to give these now and again. Dotsie, brush your lips and be proud about it. Why not?

with soft lips and love,
dancer

#123933 - 10/26/07 01:21 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

Cookie,
I gave some ideas for puffy eyes in my post on tips. If you have dark eye circles, there are over the counter eye treatments that work to reduce the dark circles. I have dark circles under my eyes because I am European and if you have those, make up is the best way out. Some people find the dark circles sexy! I know fashion photographers for Great magazines that like natural dark circles. Puffiness is another problem all together. I gave some tips on that. There is a chiropractic move I have had done that worked well for puffiness. I'll try to describe it here:
Take your thumbs and put them in the corner of your eye. Push in and feel your eye socket, (the bone,) trace your thumbs along your eye socket pushing down on the bone all through that eye socket, working in to out. When you reach the end of your eye socket on the top, stop, do not circle to the bottom bone. Do that three times and do it slow in a massage mode. Just use your thumbs to trace your eye socket without lifting your thumbs and do it on the top.

After the top, take your forefinger and place it in the corner of your eye. Slide your finger, as you did your thumb a slight ways, this time, along your bottom eye socket. Stop when you have traced about to a place besides your nose and slide down then and that should slide your fingers down your sinuses. You should feel pressure on your sinuses clearing them as you slide down. Slide about to your lips to clear those sinus cavities. Do this as well, in a massage mode and do it three times.

This never fails to drain the puffiness out of my eyes. I had a chiropractor do it for me everytime I saw him for sometime so I do it myself because I like the effects.

You can try this and see when you do it in a mirror if it helps you. Again, it helps me. I have puffy eyes too and it solves those fairly well. There are products I listed in the tips that will do it as well.

If you are sleeping 8 hours and I mean EIGHT hours, and you have those dark circles, if you have had a doctor look at them and tell you they are normal, then I would do two things:
First I would love them because some think they are sexy and mysterious!
Second, take your concealer and you have two choices: waterproof by Lancome or any other. Lancome has a waterproof concealer that is wonderful if you want to invest in an eye concealer. You only use a bit and it lasts forever, and I mean forever. It is good so far as color and it stays where you put it. You can use a less expensive one of course, it is fine. ONLY conceal from the corner of your eye out to a slight bit around your eye socker. Don't make raccon rings and don't use a light color if it is too light for your face. If you use a light color it reflexs light and draws attention to your dark circles. It's better to blend in the concealer well and only in the corner of the eye. Use a color near your skin color. Think about leaving them if you like your eyes when they are less puffy. They could look pretty sexy, right? Think about it!

If these directions aren't clear I can try again! I hope something I've typed helps! Please let me know! We are sistas in the dark eye look!
dancer9

#123934 - 10/26/07 01:51 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

Lady Jane, I'm so happy you enjoy them! It's nice for me to have something to share with the forum.
I'm not an author, (yet,) but I have experiences in the strangest places! This is one. I wrote another group of fun things for you!
dancer

#123935 - 10/26/07 11:13 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
ladyjane Offline

Thanks so much again, dancer! I love it! I'm turning into such a beauty now...LOL. What fun we all could have at a real girls P.J. party....trying all these things! I imagine it and smile I used to have girls night out when I was in ministry and we'd do all the make up and skin care things...even massage each other's feet. It was wonderful! I like it better now because I can add some wine to the mix Yeah, it's nice being me now. Keep 'em coming, dancer...whenever you've got the urge.

#123936 - 10/26/07 11:46 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Wonderful tips Dancer! I am going to check out those products & techniques you suggested. Me and my "sexy" dark circles thank you.

#123937 - 10/27/07 05:33 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
orchid Offline

Hey dancer, I agree with the tip of not using eyeliner on bottom eyelid when one ages ...and especially if one already has fine lines/wrinkles around eyes.

But geez, ....I haven't worn any eye makeup, not even mascara since I was 20 yrs. old. It's been 28 yrs. since I've worn the stuff. My eyes feel 'weighted'/tired with the stuff on. I just gave up. Partially not wearing eye makeup because am relying just natural black lashes ....to give me the natural dark emphasis. For many Asian women, not having a deep eyelid, just well..for some women like me, just don't bother.

I agree that many women and men could benefit from wearing some crisp, tailored shirts with a standup collar. It is disappointing how the quality of tailoring has gone downhill in the past decade..unless one pays more money. 'cause I used to sew tailored blouses (yes with French cuffs, with standup collars that were properly stiffened with interfacing material) and tailored, fully-lined jackets (with French pockets and buttonholes, etc.), so I am abit particular in quality and longevity about clothing that I buy at any price.

Turtlenecks with a flattering colour that don't sag nor pill over time, are always classic.

Pearls...I haven't seen women in my(our) age bracket wear round white pearls in past 10 years. At this time, I would not choose to wear them. It would date me. Instead I wear freshwater irregular-shaped small pearls...might be done in unusual design.

For longest while, I've been wearing primarily silver earrings. Right now, am not eager to wear gold..I don't have much in gold anyway but on me, gold might date me at this time. More creative, artsy designs exist in silver. At least in earrings which is the....only type of jewellery I wear. Which means real silver (since my earlobes are allergic to costume jewellery) is cheaper than real gold.

I don't wear rings at all, but I've tried, even when I was single to wear a ring or 2. Found it a hassle when working with paints, gels, etc. and concerned about forgetting to put ring(s) back on fingers. I gave up wearing necklaces/chains for past 10 years except maybe once or twice annually for special occasions. I gave up wearing nailpolish 20 years ago. For unknown reasons, when I wore nail polish, my fingers felt colder. Now focus just on keeping my nails always clean and neatly shaped.

It seems like fashion has gotten..simpler and simpler for me as I age.

The more I cared about/spent more time on exercise and health, the less ..ironically, I cared about wearing the latest fashion. Which is strange, because usually when a person is in better physical shape/fitness, they want to buy/wear a snappy new wardrobe, better makeup, etc.

One of my sist4ers who lost 50 lbs., earns a sizable income as a doctor, did not run out and spend a pile of money on a gorgeous wardrobe after discarding her "fat" clothing. She just found it great to buy occasional nice but competitively priced clothing pieces at a smaller size ...and look better because she was more fit. She felt "freer" to choose from a wider range of styles and colours given a slimmer body shape. She was spending her wardrobe dollars like a recent new university graduate, not as a salaried professional with a good income and working for past 10 years.

Oh well, she paid off her house mortgage...

#123938 - 10/27/07 07:47 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Hi Orchid! I agree with most you say works for yourself. I've a good Asian friend and one of the things she does beautifully is know how to adorn herself with jewerly.

I have dark eyelashes myself and when I am tired, I just curl them up with an eyelash curler to open my eyes and go.

My Asian friend who has a gift for adorning herself, her way has a knack for her jewelry. She wears a white gold chain that is of a unique design, and it is as long as say...her collar. It is a beautiful chain and it is well made and an investment. She wears this chain with everything and wears small white gold hoop earrings. Very small hoops. The necklace has become "her," and without it she would not be as together as she looks, yet she achieves that "together," look with this one chain necklace no matter if she is in jeans and a T shirt. It is lovely on her and no one could pull it off except perhaps and Asian woman who can wear small and simple jewelry with such an impact.

I thought I'd mention that in cases it gave you any ideas. Again, her chain is unique in it's links, but it is a simple and short chain.

dancer

P.S. You are Asian and that means you are classy and beautiful with very little adornment, Perhaps a natural lip color if your face does look good with adornment and your lashes a bit curled do the trick. Still, have you tried a bit, just a bit, of natural powder blush on the apples of your cheeks and feathering out and up towards your ears? It might look lovely if it is the only make up you wear and it is subtle.
The thing I admire about my Asian friend is the LITTLE amount of work required to make her beautiful! Less is more for her and she is lovely.
D.

#123939 - 10/27/07 10:06 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

You are overly generous, dancer on natural Asian beauty. But true, that even my 4 sisters don't wear much makeup, but some wear abit more than me (me =no makeup about 90% of the time).

Curling my eyelashes doesn't do anything, my eyelashes are short. But it's ok, it's still not enough incentive to wear mascara.

When I do wear makeup, it is: foundation, plus powder blush and some lipstick.

I choose earrings that are original in design and all in silver: silver swans, silver lily flowers, phoneix birds, aboriginal design ravens, silver leaf boughs, etc. Yes, if I found dangling silver snowflakes or filigreed silver starbursts I would wear them! Another reason why having a haircut short enough for me ...cut above the earlobes is important to me.

So long hair just well....would cover up that earring artistry.

I agree the ice water on face can perk up person's visage. come to think of it, any outdoor winter exercise is excellent for anyone to look alive and refreshed. Not quite same effect as exercising in hot summer heat...

#123940 - 10/28/07 12:33 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Oh no, Orchid,I am not overstating the Asian beauty factor! No one, in my own opinion, can wear jewerly as well as an Asian woman! It looks magnificent and you must know that as you described, (and thank you for the visual,) some of your jewelry! Natural Asian beauty is something I appreciate and not just because I have a close friend who is Asian, but because it has been established long ago: I have excellent taste!

Your need for blush, Orchid, the wonderful Asian, is there. If you use it ever so lightly on the apples of your cheeks to your hairline, moving up, (lightly, again,) you will accent that natural beauty with no work.

I know you have experienced racism and those who cannot appreciate your beauty. I have as well. I look like an Italian American woman and although I came from a wealthy family, my boyfriends who were "white," worried when I met their parents. I also, like you, did not blend in. I know what it's like to hate your features because they are not Anglo. I'm past all that as you are and I love myself for who I am and in fact, celebrate my heritage.

Do you know, Orchid, that MY race is the race it is STILL alright to insult, sterotype and make jokes about? From the Supranos to the pizza man, we are teased, people use a bronx accent and pretend they are Italian when they are joking. I endured and endure much racism towards me.

It did not affect my career, as am artist, it probably helped me. I did well in Europe, etc because of my race.

Anyway, back to beauty. Yours is special and I'm sure you know how to choose jewelry that becomes you. I admire the ability you have to wear jewerly.

dancer9

#123941 - 10/28/07 01:47 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

I have to say my fashion practices aren't rebellion. Just a sign of...sheer laziness that is reflected in minimal effort..

Lest boomer chicks here think I walk out of the house in pj's... I do care enough about how I look, I just express it in exercise. That's all.

#123942 - 11/04/07 12:49 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

How are everyone's lips? I feel more tips coming on! I may have to go on a rampage again with them!
dancer, hoping everyone has peachy lips.

#123943 - 11/04/07 03:27 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

since we had the hot dry winds (Santa Anas) and fires 2 weeks ago, I've had a split lip that still hasn't healed. I'm using a product called Lips Bee Healthy by Jason Natural cosmetics -- aloe, beeswax, shea butter, etc. Feels good on, but I want this to heal already!

Poet and essayist

#123944 - 11/04/07 04:21 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

My dentist gave me cream for my poor lips and they are healing...finally! Can't brush them yet tho.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123945 - 11/04/07 05:14 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
Mountain Ash Offline

Merideth
manuka honey may help your lips.
Mountain ash

#123946 - 11/04/07 11:50 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Meredith,
Just keep applying it as often as you can. Lips, as I said, have no pores. The best we can do for them is keep them moist and avoid any bacteria getting into the split.

Keeping lips moist is an age old problem. Most of us, dancers, models, that is, like to use shea butter. We go through tubs of shea, for our feet, legs, etc... Even pure shea for our lips. The quality shea is the best and not found in drug stores. If anyone wants to know where to get shea products, just PM me.

Meredith, again, all you can do is apply and apply and that will speed the healing. Keeping them very moist is the answer. If it gets worse or takes a new color or worse, stings worse, you need an ointment, usually the kind that is used for athlete's foot, believe it or not, will heal it right up. If your lip ever stings, try those creams like Lotrium and watch it go away in a day or so!
dancer, with the answer! LOL.

Edited by dancer9 (11/04/07 11:55 PM)

#123947 - 11/05/07 03:47 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

thanks everyone for the tips! I've just reapplied my lip balm. Thankfully, no stinging or weird colors

Poet and essayist

#123948 - 11/05/07 12:29 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

MORE tips, dancer! They were all intersting and fun....ready when you are!

#123949 - 11/05/07 05:51 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

maybe later today...
D/

#123950 - 11/05/07 09:52 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Meredith, I have the full, pouty, kissable lips of an Italian woman and use nothing but plain old Vaseline in a jar. I apply a light covering in the morning after brushing my teeth, again in early afternoon (especially in summer at the pool)and again at bedtime, It is the best moisturizer ever made and soooo inexpensive. MY hands, elbows and feet are soft and smooth as a babies, again using only Vaseline. It's what the professional models 'all' use...

Edited by chatty lady (11/05/07 09:53 PM)

#123951 - 11/06/07 12:46 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Okay, I've some more tips. Coming in a few min., I'll put them here. It's fun that some of you like them!
I'm stealing years and years of hanging out with models, dancers and actors!
- Nails. Your nail ends should be as wide as your nail bed. You should have square shaped ends on your nails the width of the bottem of the nail. Things look neater that way.
- I can cause any woman to loose weight, just ask and I'll give tips. I've had to do it for SO many people. People loose weight being around me!
-Nails should be one of three colors now:
Rose, RED, or natural. A french manicure is now a cheap look because everyone, even someone's 13 year old daughter has a french manicure! You should stop switching colors over and over at about age 12! Fact: Most women wear the same nail polish color year after year, day after day!
-build your wardrobe around black or beige. ( LOL, I like to call beige, "off white," or ecru is my favorite.) Add color as you go along and know there are MANY different "blacks," and many different "beiges," so you have to match your blacks and beiges. Wash the washables in Woolite for Black, it works.
-Different color shirts and pants/skirts, can make you look stout. If you do pair such things, try to wear a print top or bottom that has the color of the other in it. This looks polished and fun, it also makes you look taller.
-tights that cut off at the ankle make any woman's leg (and men's, lets not be sexist,) look short. Keep your tights to capri length or with feet. Nothing inbetween will do. Throw um out! ------------->
-If you are good with color: Mix prints! It is an art. There are women who can mix prints top and bottom and it is an AMAZING look! It is fashionable and always has been. You must have the gift though, to be able to see what print will go with another. Anyone may have the gift to do this, you do not have to know fashion, it's an "eye," thing. If you have it, raise your hand, I'd like to shake it! If you are that person, match prints and watch um turn green with envy!
-Stretch through your day. Everybody usually has to go through a rehab program that involves stretch at some time. We do not stay limber, SO: Stretch in the kitchen as you reach for something, stretch at work by turning in your chair at the waist as far as you can both ways, stretch as you watch T.V., sit in a lotus position on your couch. If you have any dance training, dance through your day, stretching and making up ways to stretch each day.
- To really see what you look like, take a snap shot of yourself in your minds eye. Now~ look at yourself as if you were seeing yourself in a store or something, shopping. THATS how you look. The mirror is useless to us in this way after a short time. Take that picture and try it, tell me if you see yourself more clearly.
- If you are scrubbing your skin with a brush as I suggested, tell me so I can give you the next step to younger softer skin. I am always surprising people with the softness of my skin. I have a recipe I use without fail.
-Never go to sleep with anything on your face but moisture, I mean NEVER. It matters, it really does.
- There are lovely and beautiful older women, have you seen them? They are women who accept their age and are graceful and stylish and have their own "look." We must strive for that, not to look "young.' "Young," ends at 29.
- Botox helps the face to not move, therefore, preventing wrinkles. That is a bunch of junk. It does not last and looks funny. BUT, dancers and models, for example, wrinkle less. They do so because for years their job has been to hold their face without expression! Think about what your face has been doing all day. Has it been stressing? If so, you will get worry wrinkles. Have you been calm? If so, you will have less wrinkles, etc...
I have many more. How are these?
Anyone try vinegar and water rince before they washed their hair? It works! Only once a month. A quarter cup vinegar and water poured over your wet hair before washing will make your hair healthier and immediate results will be seen and felt!

Say Cheez!

dancer 9
ask me anything, I've heard some women wondering about it too!

#123952 - 11/06/07 01:17 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Just like I said....
Chatty is right. We can't moisterize our skin from the outside. We can only keep water on it, and Vaseline is as good as anything else. It's in what feels good to you.
dancer who likes shea butter.

#123953 - 11/06/07 01:23 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Good to hear, Meredith!
dancer

#123954 - 11/06/07 04:22 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Dancer, you and I think alike about Botox and the frozen or half-frozen face end-result.

Must be hard not to laugh whole-heartedly and allow one's own face to feel the goodness of a big laugh --with smile wrinkles.

In my humble opinion cosmetic surgery is justified for: faces disfigured by large birthmarks, burn /fire or other major injury.

Today on the commuter train, there was this lovely young and fashionable woman, about in her 30's who was badly disfigured by a huge red/purple birthmark that enveloped 1/2 of her face. Her marked face literally was 3x swollen-purple over her normal side. Many people found it difficult to look at her head-on without staring alot. Most definitely cosmetic surgery would have been most meaningful for her..an act of mercy.

By the way, what's a French manicure? Yea, I'm pathetic.

#123955 - 11/06/07 03:21 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

They have lasers that remove the port wine birthmarks. Poor woman.

Once my doctor injected my migraine botox too low and I couldn't move my eyebrows for a month. It was awful trying to form an expression with nothing moving.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123956 - 11/06/07 10:21 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I met this incredible woman at the conference this weekend. She developed this makeup that is perfect for different skin tones and for covering birth marks, moles, etc. Her site is www.lindaseidelpro.com

#123957 - 11/07/07 12:08 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

To treat a "strawberry," birthmark,a doctor does laser treatment after laser treatment until it is faded. It takes a long time to finish removing it. You go through sessions. They are one of hardest things to deal with and are there at birth. Most parents start the laser treatments while the child is very, very young now.
I doubt insurance would cover it for an older person though. It must be very hard to live with one.
dancer

#123958 - 11/09/07 02:42 PM Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Sadie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
They say capes are big now. And those of us in our 50s and 60s can use them as an upgrade to our wardrobe. I saw those darn pointed toes and six inch healed shoes in the store recently. My feet hurt looking at them. Some of the new boot fashions are cute, this year. Oprah says everybody needs a crisp, white shirt/blouse. And nice fitting jeans are a plus at any age. They also say leather, whether it be a vest, coat or jacket/blazer is an asset.

Edited by bonnierose333 (11/09/07 02:47 PM)

#123959 - 11/09/07 03:16 PM Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jabber]
ladyjane Offline

Yeah, the capes have made a comeback. Unfortunately, I'm not very tall and always felt they made me look like a walking tent. It seems we've gone a little retro....again... in the fashion industry. I saw a sweater the other day that was just like what I wore in the early 70's and I loved it then, too. It just keeps going round and round, doesn't it?

#123960 - 11/09/07 10:02 PM Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I love capes with very high heels, but with flats I have never seen any that don't make the wearer look dumpy...

#123961 - 11/09/07 10:08 PM Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Are capes like ponchos? They hide a multitude of sins (and packets of cookies)

#123962 - 11/09/07 10:35 PM Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jabber]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'm smiling at Bonnierose's descriptions of what's "in" because I don't have -- or want -- a single item on the list.

Jeans? Never found a pair that was comfortable.
Pointy toed shoes/high heels? Did that in the 1960's and swore I'd never do it again.
Crisp white blouse? Too much ironing.
The capes and leather are both OK but too warm for this climate.

Until my mid-40s I was a serious fashionista -- but even then, I wouldn't wear every "in" style that came out. Some seasons, I couldn't wait to buy what I thought was the perfect addition to my wardrobe. Other seasons, I didn't purchase a single thing.

With any "in" fashion, the best thing for you to decide is -- Do I really like it? Color good? Cut good? Fits with my image/lifestyle? There's a different answer for everyone.

Poet and essayist

#123963 - 11/10/07 12:49 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

This year in couture,there were many designers who went "20's" on us. It was clothing from the 20's redone that really stuck out! I loved them and I love that era so it was great for me. The hats are a great part of the 1920's and the suits for women, the pants. It was a classy time.
There are a lot of designers new collections focused on all out dressy as well. There is s movement among designers to get rid of the "jeans on every person," trend who are showing slacks that are relaxed, cut low, and they hope they will take the place of the jeans that all women seem to be married to at this time.

Myself, I'm not a jeans woman, nor was I a jeans girl. I am a dress woman, myself. I just feel freer and more relaxed in a dress with as little underneath as possible!

But, yes, the couture trends trickle down to the masses in about 3 to 4 years, or sometimes a bit faster, as is said in "The Devil Wears Prada," so it will take soem time to see women change their clothing into the twenties vibe.

Capes were all over the runway some years ago but are not just getting to middle America.

it's funny how long it takes the big designers to influence most women, the years, but it's true, it takes that long and they start the trends as well as the color combinations that will become popular.

If you see a woman who wears upper, upper line clothing, her clothing will look almost strange to women. This is because of the lag time between the collections and the public.

To see the cutting edge of fashion and where it's going, one can go to Style.com. There you may also build a "look book," that you can refer to when you are shopping to remind you of shapes and colors you like. I always go through the designs of my favorite designers and make a lookbook every season to put me in the frame of mind to buy what I like.

dancer...

#123964 - 11/10/07 01:09 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

My friends swear by pashimas. I guess it's whatever you feel comfy in.
dancer

#123965 - 11/10/07 07:14 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have pasminas but like and wear really long woollen cardigans One has a scarf attacted.I also have a cape type thing really a cardigan with extra fabric that drapes and is pinned with big pin.Swoosh...I will nearly give you a black eye.
Mountain ash

#123966 - 11/10/07 09:37 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

A tiny cute coat cape that would be at/above my waist, would be chic with a highwaisted black skirt would be my choice.

Otherwise capes and huge shawls...look...to me abit impractical. I don't carry my purse. I have a knapack style purse on my back where it feels safer from thieves and I have my hands free for holding things.

I don't drive, so I truly have to have my arms/hands free.

I'm only 5'1" so glory of capes may not flatter little person like me.

#123967 - 11/10/07 10:18 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

When I was in college, I "inherited" a full-length hooded cape in loden green (not a great color for me, but...) from a friend who was 5'2". I'm 5'7". Cape is wool and fully lined, and got me through many a cold winter.

Since I moved to Cali in 1980, the weather is too warm to wear the cape at all, so it sat in the far back corner of a closet for years. Then one day I put it out to give for a charity collection and Hubbo went crazy -- said that it had too many memories and he wanted to keep it. So now it's back in the far corner of the closet, until further notice.

Poet and essayist

#123968 - 11/26/07 07:21 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
dancer9 Offline

I feel holiday fashion tips coming on...
dancer

#123969 - 11/26/07 07:27 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

Hurry dancer I need some tips...trying to grow my nails...got shea butter hand cream at the weekend..
I go to bed wearing white cotton gloves and promise myself I will wear rubber gloved to wash dishes...then I forget.
Mountain ash

#123970 - 11/26/07 07:32 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Mountain Ash, Hello my friend!
Some tips for growing natural nails:
- take a vitamin, a big one, even a prenatal vitamin.(Pre-natal vitamin's are said to increase hair growth too.)
- eat jello! Yes, it's true, eat gelatin! It helps your nails!
- rub cream into cuticles to keep the nail from cracking. your nail is alive under the surface so improve it's condition by rubbing a good moisterizer under the cuticles every morning and night. There are some REALLY good ones. If you want a list of them, just ask. Watch the quality of shea butter that you use, it makes a difference, I big one!
- file nails evenly accross, not to a point and do not TOUCH the sides with an emory board.
- don't use tight gloves when doing housework to protect your nails, gloves can rip nails on the side.
- don't give up on nails, remember, they must be repaired from the place they grow, not from the ends.
- use the moisterizer, or any moisterizer after any water contact to nails. Keep a lotion near your kitchen sink and bathroom sinks. Use just lotion if you are in a hurry. Lubridrem is simply the best to use if you don't have shea or a special cream for your nails. I recommend investing in a special cream if you want natural nails. It just makes ALL the difference!
- Protein in the diet!
- File your nails, as I said, but file them every five days! Lotion them up and file in one direction if possible to keep them a managable length for you.
- Use a clear polish on them. There are good ones, right down to Sally Hanson! If you put a coat of clear polish on them to protect them every five days, they will grown.
- of course, don't bite them!
- If you take medication it can affect your nails, in that case, you MUST use a vitimen suppliment, and gelatin!
-be patient!

Hope this helps, dear Mountain Ash!
dancer

#123971 - 11/26/07 08:17 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

My dear friend has been having chemo and her nails show the pattern of her year...
Me too I have "evidence" from my surgery so I see how life affects nails.
I have had a complete house clean..last week I was a skivy.. so my hands were the worse of the wear..But I do have a clean ahd tidy house...
Its a tradition to clean for the new year here..I just started sooner than everyone else.
Mountain ash

#123972 - 11/26/07 08:27 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

dancer, you have such fabulous tips. Thanks for taking care of us.

mountain, don't you just love a clean home? It gives me tremendous peace when everything is in it's place and nice and neat.

Mountain, you may also want to ask chatty about your nails. I walked around with this peice of paper in my purse for weeks so I could remember to buy the product she uses for her nails. When I was in Wal-Mart, I couldn't find the dang piece of paper. Anyway, she has a product she uses and loves.

#123973 - 11/27/07 01:06 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips
dancer9 Offline

Thank you Dotsie, taking care of ourselves, and our surroundings, helps our self esteem and reminds us to put ourselves first since we, as women, tend to put our needs last, or second, often!

I think it's good for every woman to remember to care for herself and to know that she is very worth doing things for.

dancer

#123974 - 11/27/07 03:52 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Appearex works wonders on nails (ask the pharmacist for it and if they don't have it they will order it). I also use Nailtique. It's a miracle in itself.

I find I'm always breaking nails when traveling. Must be from lugging suitcases through the terminal. It's frustrating. I finally cut them down very short.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123975 - 11/27/07 07:33 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

Other good ones are any product from Barielle,
http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_r...amp;Ntt=Barille
They work wonders and are worth the cost.

Dianne, You might like to try what I think of as the "Rolls Royce," of nail products and those are from Dior. Dior has this cuticle cream that is SO good, it smells good, it hangs on and it makes your nails so strong! The polish, even clear, hangs on like nothing else and there is a "ridge filler," product that can be worn alone, lets your nails grow and can be buffed to a shine! Their products are some that many women have sworn by for years, over 20! If you'd like to spoil yourself a bit, try them!
I use Barielle or Nailtique, although I like Barielle a bit better when I don't use gel over my natural nails. I use a gel coating now but just ove my natural nails to make them strong because I wear them a bit long and my own nails without the coating would break. But, with gel, you can see your own natural nail underneath and my manicurist applies it so very thin that it is thin as my own nail!

Happy nail growing!
dancer9

#123976 - 11/27/07 09:14 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Which is the gel coating? I've never heard of it. How does it differ from Nailtique?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123977 - 11/28/07 03:09 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

Dianne,
The gel coating is the one the salons can apply. The others are good.
dancer

#123978 - 11/28/07 02:21 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh, okay! I'll have to look for the Dior cuticle cream because this winter dryness is doing a job on them.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123979 - 11/28/07 05:42 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

If you find it, Dianne, let me know. It's so rich and creamy and it STAYS on. I hope they make the same kind...
I've not used it in awhile.

Good luck!
dancer9

#123980 - 11/28/07 09:24 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I think I'll check Sephora for it.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123981 - 11/29/07 02:55 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

Dianne, We do indeed, shop at the same places! You'll have to trade tips with me when you find a new product you like!
How fun is that?
dancer9

#123982 - 11/30/07 03:38 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm a skin product freak! Be glad to share. Fun-fun-fun!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123983 - 12/01/07 01:57 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
As always, I agree with whatever Ms. M says. My work attire is corporate kakhi or navy pants or skirts and white or blue shirts. They give us the shirts with the corporate logo on them.

The summer shirts were great, but the winter shirts look like men's shirts. I hate kakhi and navy blue so I don't feel good when I go to work, which reflects on my production. We could wear whatever pants we wanted to until this summer and I felt great and produced my a-- off. It's downhill now.

When I feel good in my clothing it refelcts in my attitude.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#123985 - 12/02/07 01:16 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
dancer9 Offline

Hey Dianne! I'm still stuck on Bare Minerals for my face! I've tried it all, from Chanel and Dior down to the least expensive but BM does what it needs to for me. I hardly need a foundation, my skin is clear and hard to match anyway. It's great to have a powder that will keep me matte, give me sun protection and some color as well! I never thought I'd be someone who liked it but I do. The minerals are so good for skin too!

There are new products now for foundation that actually pull your skin to make it tighter! Imagine, rubber cement for the face?! I'd rather age with grace, thank you!

Do you use a foundation? I only use one if I am going out, but not to a grocery or drug store!
dancer

#123986 - 12/02/07 02:49 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dancer,
My niece gave me three things from Bare Minerals. I LOVE THEM! Its two different foundations and one veil. I have always wanted to try them. Its like having nothing on your face. You don't get that "heavy" feeling that other foundations give you. Do you put anything underneath the foundation you apply? I haven't.

Also, do you like the OPI nail polishes?

#123987 - 12/02/07 09:11 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

dancer, I use Arbonne skin care products and just love them. I haven't tied anything form Bare Minerals. Do they have thier own store, or do you buy their products in a department store? I wouldn't mind trying their makeup.

#123988 - 12/02/07 09:13 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips
Dotsie Offline
Founder

The topic right now says Capes dso I thought I'd comment that I"ve never worn one. I just ernt to lunch with a few friends and one of the gals was wearing a cape. It looked great. I've never worn them because I can't imagine they are warm. Are they?

#123989 - 12/02/07 09:23 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips
dancer9 Offline

Dotsie,
A cape can be VERY warm, especially those made of wool. The problem I have with them is that they are shapeless so you look sort of like you have a small tent over you. It's great to hide all sorts of things under though so everyone should have one in their wardrobe! Oh, and you will need gloves with a cape, no pockets most of the time.
dancer9

#123990 - 12/02/07 09:27 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips
dancer9 Offline

Bare Minerals are sold in some department stores, in free standing make up stores like Sephora, and others, and in some beauty supply, if they are a salon as well.

They are available on line but have someone do your face with them first to see how you like them and to see how to do it yourself! It's very easy, quick, with a believeable coverage that does nothing at all to your skin. I do moisterize my skin underneath them and I do use a primer, but everyone should use moisture on their face.

In my opinion, it is the most natural looking make up out at this time. There are MANY copy cats now but I stick with the original brand. Some women do not feel secure unless they coat their faces with some liquid, then use powder, etc... With this, the Mineral IS the color and it DOES cover. It has an SPF which is always good, in it's foundations. There are also blushes and shadows that are good and a "Mineral Veil," that is for just polish, with no color.
Dotsie, you can buy a "starter pack," from the store you go to that includes your color, the veil, a blush and two brushes you need. This is not expensive, although I would buy it if it was.
They also have compacts now so you can carry the minerals with you for touch ups.

It's a great product. Tell me what you think.

dancer

#123991 - 12/02/07 10:36 PM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
yonuh Offline

Dancer, where in Tucson do you buy the Bare Minerals?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#123992 - 12/03/07 01:54 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: yonuh]
dancer9 Offline

Hi Yonuh,
We are close together, aren't we? The best place to buy them and have them put on and learn how to do it is:
La Encantada at Campbell and Sunrise. There is a store there called "Product by Maria." There they have people to apply it for you and show you how to use it. If you want, you can buy a kit there with the brushes you need. It is an upper line store but the make up is not expensive at all compared to most others. Product does not charge any extra there to help you and find the right products.

In Park Mall there is a store called "Ultra." This store has the Bare Minerals but no one who is educated in using them. That store is good for refills and the like and it could be more convienent for you. If you know what you need, and colors and such, you could go to Ultra and see what they have in stock. Product by Maria is located on the top level of La Encantada in a corner in the middle of the shops.

If I can help you with anything else, just let me know. I get all of my Bare Minerals at Product because I like to have knowledgeable sales people to help me. Also, at Ultra, things are often a mess and many products are not there.

Warm regards,
dancer

#123993 - 12/03/07 02:20 AM Re: Capes...? Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: jawjaw]
dancer9 Offline

Jaw Jaw,I love Bare Minerals for the same reasons! No, I only put moisturizer on before I use the Minerals. I find I don't need anything else for cover. I don't use a concealer or anything! I can't feel it also! I used to run to wash my face when I had to wear make up for something but with these I don't feel it so I forget to wash it off sometimes until before bed! It's just great. Did you know that they make a compact now so you can take it in your purse? It's so great to have it in a compact because you can get in your car, use the mirror to brush it on with the compact brush and get going without all the fuss! I use my compact when I'm out and decide to go somewhere where I think I should look more "dressed," too. I just use the make up and put something on my lips and off I go!

I look Italian so too much make up makes me look like I am working the corner. Bare Minerals and something on my lips are all I need to look "made up." A remarkable product, really! I like their blush as well. I wonder if you can buy new brushes separately... I'll check it out!

So far as Opi, I don't use it because it does not stay on my nails. I'm really picky about pigment too so I don't wear color on my nails unless I REALLY like the color. I test the color using scotch tape over my nail and putting a brush stroke on and seeing how it looks with my skin. If I don't have tape there, I brush it on my skin and see how it looks!

I like Chanel colors the best, the pigments are one of a kind. For formula, I like Dior because it stays like all Hel* but so does MAC if one likes those colors. I think MAC is a good buy because the polish is not so expensive, it does stay on your nail, and it does NOT get all thick in the bottle if you don't use it for awhile. They also have a LOT of colors. MAC is a good choice for nail color.

For funky colors, Urban Decay is a good company. It is polish that stays on as well. I don't know what makes some polish stay on and some not but Urban Decay is one that stays on.

I find that Lancome and it's sister stores, Estee Lauder and Clinque has polish that is over priced and never really dries. The colors are not so good either. All of those companies are owned by the same people so they are all the same except for price point. I believe they own Origins too.

I've tried them all, really. There are a few new ones I've not tried and want to. I'm about to give one new one a run shortly. I wear my nails natural with gel over them but I wear color over them from time to time and when I have time at at the salon to have it dry!

Still, I personally like red, or natural for nails. I think that Pink is lovely on some Anglo's of really white skin color and those that are Chinese. For some reason, the pastels look great against Chinese skin. For my African American friends, I think EVERY loud, and funky color with LONG nails look GREAT! it is a part of their culture to wear their nails loud and it looks great on them!

I have all sorts of style ideas...comes from being an artist all your life!

dancer

dancer

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved