The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#123879 - 07/24/07 10:38 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Sadie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I stopped coloring my hair about 7 months ago and it is partly medium brown, but the sides are a silverish, and there is silver throughout. I am happy with not having to put those dangerous chemicals on my head after reading some medical reports. Scary stuff...I just want to be as natural as possible. The days for fake this and altered that are over for me, and I am still cute...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#123880 - 07/25/07 05:36 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't know how they can determine all women past a certain age would look good in the same color. Any brown tones make me look tired.

I asked my hair stylist when she thought I could go silver and she just looked at me and said, "Never". Oh well.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123881 - 07/26/07 01:56 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Dianne]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I don't know how they can say a certain type of clothing looks bad on all mature women. For instance, wouldn't the style of capris make a difference? Some are wide and some are narrow fitted to the leg, and a woman's body type would make a difference also.

Some of these articles directed towards women are pretty lame.

laurapoplin.com

#123882 - 10/18/07 12:53 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Sadie]
dancer9 Offline

Oh, I have so many, this was so much a part of my career! You name it, I have the answer to it! Lets see, some fun tips:
- when you brush your teeth, brush your lips! It takes all that dry skin off and makes them smooth, all make up artists and sales people do this daily!
- The most versatile hair style and most common cut for models is a hair cut that is right above your shoulders. It is long enough for up do's and short enough to make it look short if you want it to.
- To look slimmer and to be a fashion stunner, wear one color from head to toe.
- The designer Valentino once said: No woman over 21 should go completely sleeveless. ( Uh huh. no one listened!)
- "Take care of the shoes and the hair and the rest will take care of itself." This is a common saying amongst fashion folk. If your shoes are "all that," and your hair is right for you, you look dressed and nice. You are also judged by those two things if you are a woman.
- To look dressed without make up, clothing, and when you are in shorts or pajamas and go to the market, just buy a designer purse. The investment pays off, (these purses are sellable, and some are worth more and more with time,) it's an accessory that you can "wear," no matter what you wear.
- Everyone has time and money for a manicure. It will make you feel good about yourself and keep you caring about yourself. EVERYONE should have manicures. It's also the best gift to give your non-fashion-interested friend as well!
- EVERYONE cares about fashion. Even if they only pick the color of the T-shirt they wear everyday at the store. NO ONE will "just throw on anything."
- to dress up your look when you live in jeans or shorts all of the time, make sure your shirts have a collar, even if it's just a polo collar.
- Make sure you pluck your eyebrows so that the ends go up, this makes your eyes perk up and not look saggy.

I could go on and on and on! There should be an "ask dancer," thread on this sort of stuff!

Very fun thread. I had a blast!
dancer, fashion fun for everyone!

"Question your privilege"

#123883 - 10/18/07 04:20 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Looking at these tips from the fashion industry..dancer9, I haven't met half of these tips.

My idea of fashion treating myself is a good haircut.
I gave up wearing fingernail polish ...over 1/4 century ago. I just make sure my nails are clean and neatly cut. People might look at my hands, when I demonstrate something on the computer.

would agree wearing 1 colour head to toe is slimming...if it's not orange...

And a purse..1/2 of the time...it's a bike pannier. I actually spent some time last week, trying to find a tiny, flat unobtrusive purse that was lightweight to carry inside pannnier but I could take out to use when going to a nice restaurant/store off-bike during an evening out. Haven't been successful so far.

#123884 - 10/18/07 08:01 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dancer, I didn't know about the eyebrow curve, brushing the lips, and ideal hair length. Great suggestions, and tomorrow morning, when brushing my teeth and lips,...I'll be thinking of you...thanks!

#123885 - 10/18/07 11:17 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Hannelore, I loved your toothbrushing lady graphic!! Dancer, loved your tips....please, oh please write more!! Off to brush my teeth AND lips!!!

#123886 - 10/18/07 12:26 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: ladyjane]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Love your fashion tips, Dancer! Tell us more.

#123887 - 10/19/07 12:02 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

Thanks guys!

#123888 - 10/19/07 12:16 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: Cookie]
dancer9 Offline

This is fun... I've been shopping with people like Sharon Stone so I know some things! I'm happy to share stuff and if you are looking for something for the body or to wear, I know where it is! I could keep a thread going just on this stuff!
Some more fun things:
Most models and actors have no nails. They get their manicure on their little-tiny-no nails, and then have them buffed. There is nothing more beautiful than buffed finger nails when done professionally. This look is amazing on woman of races that LOOK like their heritage too.
- Rince your hair with some vinegar mixed with a cup of water to make your hair so shiny and so soft you won't believe it! Do it about every three months to strip the hair of any residue. Even shampoo leaves a residue so it will work on anyone. If you have dark hair, use a red vinegar, if your hair is light, use white vinegar. About a quarter cup of vinegar and the rest of the cup water should do!
- Nothing in the way of creams has come onto the market that does ANYTHING for your skin except two products that can be prescribed. All other creams will do nothing to really help your skin and the best moisterinzer is really Crisco because you can't put water in your skin, you can only keep it ON your skin. The two products are Retin-A and Renova, and a lot of woman use these products to make their skin shine and keep it clear. They really work. Your face will peel first but underneath is beautiful skin!\
- Anyone interviewed who says they keep that thin from eating fish and vegatables for dinner is LYING. They don't eat almost at all before a "gig," and then afterwards, like, for example, Sharon, they are a size 10 or more.
- Don't brush or comb your hair. Be like models and actors and myself and only brush your hair when it's being done. After that, brushing only breaks hair and causes it to split. I never comb my hair all day or night until I am ready to do it the next day. And, only shampoo your hair every 2nd or 3rd day. May actors and models wash it once a week like in Europe. Wash it when it's dirty though, please! =)
-Any woman with skin color that is not white, and by white I mean you were born blonde, even those with slightly olive skin shouldNEVER have shiny skin. If your face is not shiny and it is matte, it will hide wrinkles, make your skin glow and make you look lovely. There are all sorts of products on the market to keep skin from getting shiny so ask me if you want one! NO shine on the skin = airbrushed look. You cannot get this look by just keeping your face make up free, your face will oil up anyway, so you get it with a product. It will make you look fab, my sisters!

If you want to be "in," this season, you can do the following:
- wear something grey, especially pants or a sweater.
- get or knit yourself a BIG sweater, really big, one that covers your butt!
- if you wear gray or black, pair it with something BRIGHT, and I mean crayon-bright, in maybe blue, or red, or yellow, it doesn't matter so long as you have only ONE thing that is bright with all they rest grey or black.
- wear gray period.
- use a flat iron on your hair style.
- the '20's are in and WAY in so if you have anything that looks like the 20's wear it, including menswear for women.
- get yourself a lot of tights and wear them with all your dresses. If you want to really be "hip," then wear your tights with that big sweater or a tunic. With boots is really happening, lol. It IS!
- wear your clothing that has a collar that is beaded. Dresses with "jewelry," are in, those are dresses with beading and the like around the collar.

I do not subscibe to being "in," ladies so know this is all tongue in cheek and done for fun. If you DO any of the above things you WILL be on the cutting edge of fashion though, even in Europe.

Like I said, Ihave tons.
Oh, and if you want your lipstick to last, put it on,and then powder your lips slightly and then re-apply.

Lastly, all the best designers agree: It takes a woman OVER forty to wear RED lipstick. RED lipstick looks GREAT on all women over 40 and always will!
dancer, having fun.
(sorry for typos. I was just having fun and typing away.)

Edited by dancer9 (10/19/07 12:42 AM)

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved