The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#123869 - 07/19/07 06:42 PM boomer fashion tips
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I saw this and wanted to share. Not much new, but I couldn't agree more with the tip about clothes fitting properly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19726479/

What do you think?

I've seen a couple boomer women in too short, too tight skirts this summer and it was a real turn-off.

#123870 - 07/19/07 08:48 PM Re: boomer fashion tips
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I know what you mean. And tank tops and plunging necklines...

I know I need to update my wardrobe. I'm still wearing t-shirts and jeans from WalMart most days. I'd love to have the income to update my wardrobe but wouldn't have a clue how to go about it.

I find shopping to be overwhleming though, so I rarely go. I used to love to shop. I also have noticed since the onset of menopause that I don't like the big malls and overcrowded stores. When a hot flash hits and I'm in a very crowded place it heightens my anxiety.

There were good tips at the link. Thanks!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#123871 - 07/20/07 02:02 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: starting over]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I recently read somewhere that women over 40 should not wear capri pants. I love my capri pants in the summer. I can't figure that one out. I have always been a conservative dresser, even when I was thinner and younger. I do love to shop, but I am hard on myself because I am not happy with my weight. Tomorrow I am starting a new workout program, so hopefully this will help. When I was ballroom dancing regularly, I bought some great clothes that are timeless. Now my goal is to get back into them. And shoes...I love shoes! I think if you like what you are wearing and feel good in your clothes it changes your attitude. It doesn't matter where you buy them, I love some of the things at Target, just as long as they fit well and feel good.

#123872 - 07/20/07 02:31 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: hotflashgal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hotflashgal, I love capri pants too. In fact, they work well to hide my thighs yet stay cooler than long pants. I don't wear shorts out of the house anymore, except to play racquetball.

I'm going shopping on Saturday to try to find something to wear to the wedding we're going to in Oklahoma.

Do you ever find that when you have the money to shop, you can't find anything you like, but see all kinds of cute stuff when you're broke?

Kathy

#123873 - 07/20/07 05:45 AM Re: boomer fashion tips
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
when I wear a skirt to work, it's the same old skirt...a black light wool lined skirt with small belt...and about 2-3 inches above knee. Wear low stacked heel dress shoes. I couldn't wear skirt down to the knee,..it would drag down a short person like myself. And I have zero interest in high heel stilts to balance off a long skirt.

It is actually difficult to find a dress, tailored and plain coloured skirt that fits me. Gettin' tired of hipster dress skirts.

Rules for boomer women...are useful for some women who don't know how to assess quality craftmanship in tailoring, cut and proper balanced fit, or have problems in colour coordination.

However not all boomer women are built the same.

I suppose for me to walk through the front foyer in lycra cycling shorts on the way to women's restroom to change, is the equivalent to a woman same age who is wearing a top at work that shows abit of her cleavage?

#123874 - 07/21/07 02:09 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I do all of my clothes shopping at thrift and consignment stores. Two of my favorites always have designer stuff. I can come home with 2-3 large bags (lawn/leaf size) of clothes, shoes and accessories (all well-made, designer labels) for about $100. I go shopping a couple of times a year and replace my entire wardrobe, except for one or two favorite pieces that I keep. The clothes I don't want go back to the consignment or thrift store - I get store credit for selling them back.

That reminds me, I haven't shopped in a while - guess what I'm doing this weekend!!??!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#123875 - 07/21/07 04:08 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The advice is great if you want to blend in with the nearest piece of cardboard.

OF COURSE we should wear styles that fit well. We should have been wearing styles that fit well for the past 50 years. Is there ever an age when people should wear styles that don't fit well???

As for the recommended daytime colors "Softer neutrals — navy, charcoal, black and khaki" -- 3 out of the 4 make me look like I'm attending my own funeral. (I look great in black, however.)

To me, this is another piece of lame advice from the "don't make waves" fashion police.

And what's wrong with a little bit (NOT plunging!!) cleavage? It draws the focus of attention away from our expanding mid-section.

Poet and essayist

#123876 - 07/21/07 05:17 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

The advice is great if you want to blend in with the nearest piece of cardboard.

OF COURSE we should wear styles that fit well. We should have been wearing styles that fit well for the past 50 years. Is there ever an age when people should wear styles that don't fit well???

As for the recommended daytime colors "Softer neutrals — navy, charcoal, black and khaki" -- 3 out of the 4 make me look like I'm attending my own funeral. (I look great in black, however.)

To me, this is another piece of lame advice from the "don't make waves" fashion police.

And what's wrong with a little bit (NOT plunging!!) cleavage? It draws the focus of attention away from our expanding mid-section.

Well meredith everytime I look at beige (but funky) dress pants,...I just drop it.... Warm light beige is a colour that's great if paired with an edgier top or bottom in style or colour. HOw bout call it "honey-coloured". ...I do love it with a warm creme colour. If a person has dark hair, light or dark skin, it works well on many women.

ANd grey...I have very little of...except for light silver or a blue summery grey to contrast with a jewel tone colour. Grey is not good on yellow toned skin.. It actually worries me that when I go grey-haired, I will have wardrobe colours that won't look well. And I truly don't want to start colouring my hair.

#123877 - 07/21/07 06:38 AM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Orchid -- gray, khaki, dark beiges and navy all give a hideous pallor to my light olive (read: green) skin. Then, I look stunning in fluorescent orange, and not many people can say that! I do have one pair each of gray and camel-color pants, but would never wear those colors next to my face.

Currently I'm about 25/75% salt/pepper. The salt part is more silver-white than gray, so it really doesn't change my clothing palette.

As a visual artist who works with color all the time, I literally cringe when I see people wearing colors that I call "kiss of death." Mine are listed above. For most blondes it's black and yellow, and for red-heads, pink and red. Brown-skinned people should not wear navy or gray. Then, of course, are all the variables within skin tones.

Articles (like the one above) which state that everyone -- regardless of skin tone, hair color or ethnicity -- should wear the same colors... actually, I have no idea what the author was thinking of, or if she was thinking at all.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I really hate that "EVERYONE should wear" attitude.

We are not "everyone." We are individuals, and one size -- or fashion proclamation -- does not fit all.

Poet and essayist

#123878 - 07/23/07 03:48 PM Re: boomer fashion tips [Re: meredithbead]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I have that olive skin and one color I cannot were in "Yellow" and I love yellow , but with olive skin I look somewhat faded in . I stick to "Reds" which I love and "blue" and some "Green's " and love white on me and love to wear black and white combo . Can't wear orange either . I do well with "Pinks" also . My hair is dark brown , by the hair dresser . LOL

Rene

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved