The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122868 - 07/07/07 12:12 PM Rollercoaster
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is definitely a rollercoaster summer with the kids. Our oldest has taken the summer after college off so he is in and out, coming and going to see friends and having a grand time. Our youngest son is away at college so we don't see him...sigh! And our daughter is away at college baut comes home occasionally to visit and/or spend the night.

The other morning, after our daughter spent a couple nights with us and went back to school, I woke up thinking she was still here. It wasn't until I was awake a couple hours and she didn't get up that I realized she went back to school the night before. I'm losing my mind.

Are any of your doors swinging open and shut this summer? Or do you recall the time when they did? While I love their visits, I miss them when they ar egone again. It's like a big tease. Then after they are gone a couple days, we settle back into our empty nest and love it! I guess we have to live in the moment and appreciate the times with and without them, and the time spent alone with our spouses. This is definitely a time of growth for me. I'm still learning.

#122869 - 07/07/07 01:20 PM Re: Rollercoaster
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
My oldest son moved out last fall. He chose not to do college after high school, and already realizes it was a poor decision. But now he's stuck in a full time job and can't afford to go to school.

We've told him he can come back if he wants to commit to school. (He's 20) But he says he feels it would be a step backward to come home again. Although he has no hesitation bringing his laundry several times a month! That's okay, another excuse to see him and hug him!

Now his roommate moved out, so he's going to try to swing keeping the apartment on his own. I don't know if he can afford it, but he wants to try. He's also considering night classes online in the fall, and he has applied to the California Hwy Patrol as well.

He takes the written exam today; that's the very first in a long process to see if you can be approved for the academy. Then there's a physical test, a psychological test, an oral interview, a background check, etc. If approved, you move into the academy for six months.

My youngest will be 16 in September, and he just got his driving permit. We'll go out today for his first "behind the wheel".

Dotsie, my best friend's daughter was away at school all last year and didn't do well, so now she's back home and will be going to community college in the fall. Her mom is having a hard time with getting used to her being around again. More worries when she's not home at night, etc.

#122870 - 07/07/07 03:02 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
It's hard when they've lived on their own for a while and then move back home and have to live under Mom and Dad's rules again. That alone often drives them back out to independence, which isn't a bad thing.

I think Mom's take it hardest when kids move away. We're used to having someone to take care of and nurture.

My two sons have been out long enough that I don't think they will move back in again. My daughter is only 13 so we've got her for a while.

My oldest son works full time and goes to school in the evenings. He has a ways to go but he'll get there. He doesn't like his job so that's an incentive to continue his education.

My younger son works for a company that installs security and fire alarm equipment. He has been taking electrical courses and taking the tests to become an electrician. He's to hyper to sit at a desk.

#122871 - 07/07/07 03:26 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Laurel]
Mountain Ash Offline

I recall when my children were younger...(they are grown now!) my son would spend some nights in the city to fit in with work patterns and at that time my daughter was having marvellous holidays.She has visited China Russia and US as well as much Europe and Scandinavia.One day I just did not know who was here and what day it was (only for a few seconds)Then things get into a pattern and all is clearer.
Our nests are continualy changing.
Mountain ash

#122872 - 07/07/07 03:31 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Laurel]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
My daughter and her family were just here for a visit. I loved seeing them come and I loved reclaiming my space when they left.

I think there is a big shift once they actually have a place that is their own...both my daughters are married and own homes. When they are still in college, etc. your house is still their home and the apartment or dorm is just where they are staying...once they establish a real home for themselves...it changes the feel of it for both of you...and they don't usually come home for extended periods of time anymore.

It's not hard anymore...it's just my life.

#122873 - 07/07/07 10:18 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Round and round we go, and where we'll stop nobody knows.

That saying reminds me of when the kids come and go, for various reasons. And the cycle will continue unto eternity...Isn't life grand?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#122874 - 07/15/07 02:29 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I thnk you're right...and I gues that's what unconditional love is about.

#122875 - 07/31/07 03:11 PM Re: Rollercoaster
Emyjay Offline

Jane,

"It's not hard anymore. It's just my life." What a positive way to describe change in your life!

This will go on one of my 3x5 cards, attributed to you, of course!

Love it!

Emily

#122876 - 07/31/07 03:19 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Emyjay]
Emyjay Offline

Dotsie,

I only have one child, Jonathan. He came back and forth for several years. Now he's married with two children.

I'm not seeing them as much as I would like to. But, they live in Elkridge, which is not too far away. (Some of my acquaintences children and grandchildren live in California, etc.)

I haven't known you for long, so I don't know how long it took for you to initiate the boomer sites and organizations.

But, I for one, am so happy that you did!

It is difficult to make changes, for me. Also, I don't adjust to loss easily. I'm trying. Still seeking answers.

I love the way Jane described her adjustment to change. See post above this one, or Jane's!

Also, I don't think many mom's go through empty nest without some "down" or "loss" feelings. Just remember: your babies are your babies no matter how old they get.

Love,
Emily

#122877 - 07/31/07 04:05 PM Re: Rollercoaster [Re: Emyjay]
Mountain Ash Offline

My Grandmother saw he two sons and one daughter in the forces in WW2..One son in France at 18 years.When they returned and live moved on and one by one they married she so appreciated them having their own "nests" and visited and stayed often.Not as a guest only but as a helper in childbirth illness and this was what I was born into.When we Grandchilden were small this was the norm...then as one by one we married she bustled about checking on us all.
When I do feel I miss my mothering time I think what Grandmother had to contend with...war food shortages and the stress or worry.The fact her early married days were post 1918 war then the 1926 depression only to live through her family being involved in another conflict.She was happiest home making having family visit sharing what she had.
I do however admit to missing my children... and understand the wrench of change.
Mountain ash

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved