The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122566 - 07/06/07 05:52 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I retrired three years ago.Missed my students very much..also the buzz of an educational establishment.........
I still would like the challenge of an essay and research and may look for such an outlet.I feel happy and content..but there was a time of a feeling of loss for my career.
Mountain ash

Mountain Ash, I have a good friend (68 yrs) who retired a few years ago --before 65. She became heavily involved for last 5 years in Learning Annex/elder learning network where members volunteer to prepare and teach/lecture on various topics. This would mean speaking to groups for more than an hr. She loved it and was treasurer /secretary for the group.

You might be great as a walking tour guide ..with your penchant for research, details, etc. A friend of mine ran her own local cycling and walking tours. She hired 2 retired teachers..they were excellent guides. I was asked..but no way I was going to work on weekends when I had a different full time job already!!

#122567 - 07/06/07 09:45 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

Orchid
how kind...I did train to work with the Hospital chaplain to be a visitor at hospital.Then my health took a dip(not connected)However next week I have surgery..and spookilt met the Chaplain socially.We talked and will contact each other whe I am well.
I feel I must find a niche My experience could help new practioners.
I was offered work recently...in my line .Everything is out there.First get me feeling more well.
I am happy pottering.Have a lovely garden.Read lots but I am open to chance..and the Universe.
Mountain ash

#122568 - 07/06/07 12:33 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Mountain Ash]
Mountain Ash Offline

One thing I realise is that our health system in the UK sees to our needs.I can and have opted for private consultations but will have my surgery on our National Health Service.I pay for dentist but its subsidised by the payments made when I earned.
I have free train/coach travel locally (our County).

So retirement is ok finacialy.Naturally my pension is less than my wage was but my needs are different.
The UK made provision after WW2 (I wrote in a different topic about this)and as a Boomer I am benefiting from that Act of Parliament.
What will happen when there are more people retired than working is another story
Mountain ash

#122569 - 07/07/07 12:26 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mountain, you mention surgery. I hope this is nothing serious. Mind letting us know how long you'll be away? I'm hoping it's outpatient...

#122570 - 07/07/07 04:17 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u
Mountain Ash Offline

No I am there for a week.But will catch up with you all in time.This week I will do my "To do" list .
Mountain ash

#122571 - 07/09/07 12:35 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Mountain Ash]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Got this in an email...too funny but makes sense...

NO Nursing Home for me!
With the average cost for a Nursing Home per day reaching $188.00,there is a better way when we get old & feeble. I have already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn for a combined long term stay discount and senior discount of $49.23 per night. That leaves $138.77 a day for:

1. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in any restaurant I want, or room service.

2. Laundry, gratuities and special TV movies. Plus, they provide a swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge, washer, dryer, etc. Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.

3. They treat you like a customer, not a patient. $5 worth of tips a day will have the entire staff scrambling to help you. There is a city Bus stop out front, and seniors ride free. The Handicap bus will also pick you up (if you fake a decent limp). To meet other nice people, call a Church bus on Sundays. For a change of scenery, take the Airport shuttle Bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there. While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.

4. It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today. And you are not stuck in one place forever, you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city. Want to see Hawaii? They have a Holiday Inn there too.

5. TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem. They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience. The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are ok. If not, they will call the undertaker or an ambulance. If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

6. And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation. The grand kids can use the pool. What more can you ask for?

So: As I reach the Golden age I'm facing it with a grin. I'll just check into the nearest Holiday Inn!

#122572 - 08/09/07 06:14 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: yonuh]
Dee Offline

I got to retire early because of continued harrassment where I worked...my case went all the way to the pentagon and through the help of my state senator I was rewarded a retirement...believe me, I had the retirement years, but not the age...but circumstances made it available to me so I took it.
It's been wonderful. No stress, no putting up with the BS I had to put up with working for the government. I went from taking many medications to just one for my cholesterol...my doctor is so pleased. Aside from the normal menopause sleepless nights, I feel great! My husband will work another 4 1/2 years before he can retire so I'm a full time housewife and I absolutely love it. I'm free to pursue any of numerous hobbies, hang out with my friends and out-laws and family. I often don't even know what day it is because I don't have to know...now that's retirement!!

#122573 - 08/09/07 02:00 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dee, you sound so happy. It's wonderful. I have a friend who is much healthier since retiring too. She still has some health issues, but feels so much better without the stress of all the relationships and BS at work. I'm tickled for her. Except now she's ready to do stuff and I have to work.

#122574 - 08/09/07 03:24 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u
Mountain Ash Offline

Dee ..well done you train blazer.Going to the top when wrongs are done changes society for the better.
I have been thinking...during that time after an op when nurses do everything for you I was chidlike.Although I wrote I missed my students(My job was my passion) I saw health as eing No 1 for any retired person.I also saw good health drives me forward. I have little plans.An art class booked. I have an idea hatching...Just as we all have dreams and plans its healthy to have a goal.
Tell you later what I am thinking about.
Mountain ash

#122576 - 08/10/07 07:46 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: ]
Dee Offline

Thanks Dotsie...yes I'm very very happy.
Mountainash...yes, I was given no choice really...it was either fight back or let them ruin my career which wasn't going to happen...not after serving my country honorably for 10 years and then working civil service for another 15...I had a boss (married) who thought he could pressure me into sleeping with him and when I wouldn't, he tried to ruin my career...he didn't know how much being in the military hardens a woman with behavior like that and prepares her for dealing with jerks like him. He thought because he was a deputy director that he could do what he wanted with his secretary (me)...boy, did he find out otherwise...and I have Trent Lott's office to thank for it. The woman who came to my defense is Murtis Frank and she was a power house woman who pulled no punches with them...when they tried to BS her she stood her ground and went all the way to the pentagon for me...needless to say, I'm retired because of what she did for me and I'm forever grateful to her. I don't believe in no way out. There's always an answer somewhere...we just have to keep looking and fighting our way through it all and find the right person to help us along the way. My guardian angel is Murtis. Without her I don't know what I would have done.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved