The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122556 - 07/02/07 10:40 PM what's it look like 4 u
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What does retirement look like for you? Do you have plans of retiring. I have read so many articles about boomers doing retirement differently for many reasons. Some reasons have to do with the whole financial picture, some have to do with health insurance, living longer, wanting to work, enjoying work, etc. How about you?

#122557 - 07/03/07 02:50 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I would love to retire right now and just write till my fingers fall off. But we got a mortgage to pay off, and we don't really want to have a big financial cut in our life style...so writing will have to remain my hobby for at least the next 2 to 5 years.

I had all these visions what I would like to do when I retire, and where I want to live; but these visions have been put on the back burner because of our grandchildren. We just found out that our other DIL is expecting a baby too.

So I guess we will remain here. I say that with a happy and sad heart, because those other dreams were as real. I would think, living somewhere beautiful without family nearby, is probably like throwing a grey veil over a gorgeous landscape.

#122558 - 07/03/07 04:11 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Edelweiss]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
If we wanted to, we could retire right now if it wasn't for the health insurance. Health insurance is so darn expensive! However, on the plus side, my hubby isn't ready to retire yet. But when we do retire, we are considering moving to TN for many reasons. But one of the main reasons is the state tax laws are different, especially on your pension.

#122559 - 07/04/07 12:33 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Cookie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I retired as far as Social Security is concerned this past June 2007 on my birthday. I dropped the widows benefits I was getting as my own funds would be much higher. So now I am retired, got my first check yesterday.

Oh I am still working, harder than ever and loving it, but what they (Uncle Sam) doesn't know, won't hurt ME!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#122560 - 07/04/07 01:00 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: chatty lady]
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Retirement is still a fairly distant dream for us. I'm only 55, Dennis is almost 59, but has just started a new job and so needs to work on building a retirement fund. We hope to someday buy a fifth wheel camper trailer and travel the country. I would like to buy a house to replace the one that is falling down around our ears, and buy an older, cheaper trailer, but Dennis wants to buy a new fifth wheel trailer instead. That would be wonderful as long as we are physically well enough to travel. But one of these days, there is a strong chance that our health will deteriorate and then we will have a trailer we can't use and a house that has crumbled. Men's logic defies all common sense sometimes. If I mention my ideas, he gets all bent out of shape and thinks I'm throwing cold water over his dreams. sigh. At t his point, I'm just taking it day by day. Trying to keep my energy up enough to work full time, keep up with the kids and grandkids, do my art and writing, and keep this old termite infested shack standing upright.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-MqWXjIM1eacjJ77q9wkswg--;_ylt=AgfbngzLT12FakAufPfu72G0AOJ3?cq=1

#122561 - 07/04/07 01:01 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: chatty lady]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Retirement looks to me like: Having the freedom and funds to travel, travel, travel. But it ain't gonna happen anytime soon ...That's the 10 yr plan, can't wait .
I would love it to happen sooner, and miracles can happen, so you never know. It is a 'time IN my life' that I'm sure I'll have the 'time OF my life' when it arrives.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#122562 - 07/05/07 04:27 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
For myself, not sure...retirement not for another ..hmmm over 15 yrs. later. But I do know some women personally close to my age (48) who have taken early retirement or will in a few years.. boggles my mind abit.

I can see how retirement if carefully planned is helpful..my partner took early retirement a few years ago. He is heavily involved in cycling organizations and the activity itself. There are several other early retirees like him, real cycling enthusisasts and very healthy, vibrant. Over the years, he drops on his mother to look after her for a few hrs....before she ended up in nursing home.

Yes, he is a better house cleaner than myself. But then, he's by nature, a neat/tidy person.

And the reason why I am working...the money is for my own long-term future since I can't rely totally on just his. I have to be realistic about my own future since he is a number of yrs. older than I.

So rather than wait around to make plans about travelling at retirement for myself....we find time and save money to travel ...now.

I have to say it's lovely to have sweetie meet me at my bike pickup point 1/2 way home...and we ride the rest homeward after I finish work. It's been like this for the last few years, him meeting me at work/near work and cycling homeward together. Instead of a car ride, we bike home.

#122563 - 07/05/07 10:11 AM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

I retrired three years ago.Missed my students very much..also the buzz of an educational establishment.Special friendships where I knew my collegues families and happy and sad times with them.
One thing I have noticed recently is how invisible a woman my age can be.(In certain circumstances) wonder if its a hint of thing to come.
I think I was definined by my job up to a point.Now I have created a balance.I made choices to do some thing for my community.Make a home where all feel welcome and care for my loved ones.Slowly another non work orintated women emerged.
I still would like the challenge of an essay and research and may look for such an outlet.I feel happy and content..but there was a time of a feeling of loss for my career.
Mountain ash

#122564 - 07/05/07 01:59 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I've got another 12+ years to retirement (unless I hit the lotto!) but that's okay, because I do enjoy working. In fact, if I ever stop working on my own biz I imagine I'd jump into a few volunteer organizations and work on those. I just can't seem to do "nothing".

I'd also like to travel, and read a LOT of books. We have no plans of moving; we may stay in this house 'til the end.

Kathy

#122565 - 07/05/07 08:03 PM Re: what's it look like 4 u [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I took early retirement just over a year ago, at 57. I made it for almost 5 months before my financial cushion went flat, so I'm now working part time to supplement my pension, more than half of which goes to pay for my health, vision, and dental insurance. I don't dare give that up because it's a good plan - better than most. I am working on setting up my own business(es) and taking my time to find the perfect niche. I am also taking classes part time. My partner is home all the time and has been for quite a while - he's self employed and works out of our home. We don't get in each other's way at all. He is great about honoring my space and time, as I do his. There are times when we do things together; times when he goes off to do something he wants; and times I go off to do what I want. What I love about our relationship is that we're not 'joined at the hip' at all. We have great discussions about anything and everything and have some interests in common and just as many that we do alone.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't retired early, but if I had stayed at my job I would have been a basket case by now. I retired mostly to save my sanity and don't miss any of the BS, although I do miss some of the people in my office. But we get together every couple of months or so for lunch. After hearing some of their stories, I'm very glad I'm not there any more!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved