The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#120629 - 06/08/07 06:33 AM Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural diff.?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm curious...do most you walk around your home in your shoes that you occasionally wear outside?

I don't and never did. My partner (who is German) did wear shoes in home for a short time as a child.

For over past decade since home has primarily wall-to-wall carpeting, I am barefoot inside the house. And I usually wear shorts around home...even if it's snowing outside. Before I used to wear slippers because of cold floors.

Was raised in a household where all of us wore slippers or ran around the house in barefeet. My non-Chinese friends thought it was hilarious to walk into the front foyer of our parents' home and see many pairs of shoes for 8 people, all piled (or neatly lined up) before entering into main part of house.

Most of my friends of Asian descent don't wear outside shoes inside their home and require their guest do same. For non-Asian, I've experienced a mixture of different preferences.

Is there a cultural difference?

Or maybe my mother was just being smart with ...6 children running around the house. To lighten her cleaning a tad.

#120630 - 06/08/07 07:13 AM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I have white carpet and no one wears shoes past the tile foyer. I wear thick socks or sometimes slippers in the winter. Barefoot in summer. However, I was raised with wearing shoes in the house.

Poet and essayist

#120631 - 06/08/07 07:57 AM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: meredithbead]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Here in Hawaii almost every household follows the Asian custom of never wearing outside shoes in the house.

#120632 - 06/08/07 11:09 AM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: diamond50]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Both in our family. I am a barefoot girl so my feet are often dirty. I even garden barefoot most of the time. I tend to slip on a pair of slippers when I come in the house, at least in the summer.

Now I KNOW that I will never be coming into Meridths home - white carpet and my feet will not mix well!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#120633 - 06/08/07 12:50 PM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: Anno]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
If our shoes are dirty or wet, we kick them off at the door. If not, we continue to wear them in the house only if we are planning to go back out. Otherwise, we change into slippers. I never go barefoot. I have Plantar Fasciitis and was told to never go barefoot because of that.

#120634 - 06/08/07 01:42 PM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: Cookie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We always kick our shoes off at the door and usually wear socks and/or slippers, sometimes barefeet in the summer.

When we did the smoke detector inspection in our neighbourhood, we went into over 60 houses, and I remember that almost every home didn't allow shoes past the foyer. I can't remember the last time or place I wore my outdoor shoes in anyone's house...oh, now I remember - we always wore shoes inside of our cottage when we were growing up, but the floors were rough there, so it was more a safety thing than comfort.

(Maya Angelou)

#120635 - 06/08/07 04:30 PM Re: Wearing outside shoes inside home-cultural dif [Re: Eagle Heart]
chocoholic Offline

I think that there is some cultural difference behind this trend, but also just how people were brought up. I was raise din a house that was constantly being worked on (it was gutted and rebuilt slowly, so we lived there through much of the contraction). With a dog in the mix too, it just wasn't a good idea to go barefoot all the time. We also had hardwood floors that would sometimes splinter. Now I am in and out of my house so much during the day, I forget to take off my shoes. But I imagine it would really help in keeping my house cleaner!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved