The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#120016 - 06/02/07 07:54 AM Back from N.Z.
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Hi Ladies,
Just flew back in from N.Z. a couple of hours ago on return from a truely magnificent 2 week vacation in my ol' home country. I had forgotten just how beautiful the scenery is and everyone was so friendly. Chatty, you would love it there... everyone wants to chat everywhere you go!
We saw some great sites, met some wonderful people, and visited my old home town and saw the old house where I grew up. It was good to see someone is still looking after it after so many years.
One thing for sure... I wont leave it another 28 yrs before my next trip.
Feeling a bit jet lagged , so will sign off and catch up with you all soon.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#120017 - 06/02/07 09:44 AM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: SharonE]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hey Sharon! Welcome back! Sounds like a trip up memory lane. Those kinds of trip shake you up abit don't they? Now shake your jet leg off...aaah jet lag off...and then tell us more!

#120018 - 06/02/07 12:15 PM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: Edelweiss]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sharon...

How wonderful to go 'home again' and have a great time! Welcome back!!

#120019 - 06/02/07 12:54 PM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Sharon, I have often heard that New Zealand is beautiful and a wonderful place to visit. Please, tell us more and convince us that this is the place to visit. I always am looking for new travel destinations!

Glad to hear you had a great trip.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#120020 - 06/02/07 05:25 PM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Wow Sharon...that sounds wonderful. I've been wanting to go someplace exotic lately.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#120021 - 06/03/07 09:42 AM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: Dianne]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Thanks for the lovely 'welcome back', I managed to shake off the jet lag, and I'm back on deck again feeling great after - would you believe, 12 hours sleep!

Anno & Dianne... if you have ever thought of travelling to New Zealand, I am so sure you would not be dissapointed.

The pace of life is somewhat slower than what I am use to in Australia, and probably a LOT slower than the U.S. but it was so refreshing to actually SLOW DOWN and 'smell the roses'

Everyone was very relaxed, polite, and friendly, and everyone always had all the time in the world for a chat. I got the impression that the word 'stress' is not in their dictionary. They seemed to have no concept of it whatsoever.

I had forgotten about the language difference though... their accent is a little different from the Australian twang, and it actually took me a day or two to be able to understand clearly what people were saying... I couldn't believe it, I was born there for goodness sake!
But nobody minded repeating themselves, they must be use to it.

New Zealands Maori people (the original inhabitants) have an extemely rich cultural heritage, identity and spirituality, and we (my friends and I) thoroughly enjoyed being entertained by the cultural performances, guided tours, museums, thermal wonderlands, and amazing scenery.

Here's a brief run down on our activites...

The North Island of N.Z. is warmer than the South Island and it is also where I grew up, so we flew into Auckland and had a quick look around for a day (The Auckland Museum is great), then visited family in Raglan & Otorohanga on the central East Coast,(it was so good to see my brother and his wife again after so many years, and they also loaned us a car to use while we were there which we really appreciated... my brother owns a car sales business).

Then we enjoyed several nights sightseeing in Rotorua (the major thermal area with geysers, hot lakes, boiling mud, and spa pools galore) If you ever visit Rotorua, the Tamaki Village tour which includes a traditional hangi meal and cultural performance is a must do, and don't forget Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland... geysers, boiling mud etc .

Then we went on to Tauranga (my old home town, which is now a big city) and neighboring Mount Maunganui which was picture postcard beautiful. It was good for the soul to see where I grew up and we loved the walk around the base of Mount Maunganui (3.4 klms) which is named after the mountain which dominates the horizon. We decided to make the arduous trek to the Summit which took 60 minutes of absolutely lung busting exertion ... but I made it! Hurraaaay! Am I crazy or what?

I use to do this walk to the Summit regularly when I was a child, so of course I just had to do the nostalgic, reminiscing, revisited thing, but for some reason it seemed so much STEEPER this time.

If you ever go there, PLEASE use the 4WD track to walk to the Summit... I found out later that it is so much easier, and even though the sign says 'for emergency use only' you can still use it to walk up. And for those weary and aching muscles when you get back, you can visit the Hot Salt Water pools for some well deserved physical therapy. The hot salt water is heated naturally by thermal layers underground. I took advantage of the opportunity to soak my weary bones, and it was magic. Not one aching muscle the next day!

The last few days were spent in the Bay of Islands region, north of Auckland, staying in Paihia and taking a boat trip out to the world famous 'hole in the rock' and Cape Brett for half a day. We also saw where Captain James Cook first landed when he discovered NZ. We enjoyed a wonderful guided tour looking around the Waitangi Treaty Grounds where the Maori signed a treaty with the white settlers. (Our tour guide was Wil, he is a Maori cheif and grew up on the Waitangi site. He was unlike anyone I have ever met, truely an amazing man who left us all feeling enlightened and enriched from being in his presence).

Then we were off back to Auckland to catch our flight home. A fabulous 2 weeks.
Did I convince you Anno?
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#120022 - 06/03/07 03:09 PM Re: Back from N.Z. [Re: SharonE]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My publisher wants me to do a book tour in Australia and I'd love to see NZ as well but that long-long flight is what stops me from going.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved