The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#119973 - 06/01/07 07:05 PM Something absolutely positive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
A friend sent this to me and I had to share:

The Price of Children

Something absolutely positive for a change. I have repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, but this is the first time I have seen the rewards listed this way. It's nice.

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:

* $8,896.66 a year,

* $741.38 a month, or
* $171.08 a week.
* That's a mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't have children if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the opposite. What do you get for your $160,140?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!

* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.

For $160,140, you never have to grow up. You get to:

* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs, and
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.

You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watching Saturday morning cartoons,
* going to Disney movies, and
* wishing on stars.
* You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay or Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.

For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.

You get a front row seat to history to witness the:
* first step,
* first word,
* first bra,
* first date, and
* first time behind the wheel.

You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, So . one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!

Love & enjoy your children & grandchildren!

#119974 - 06/02/07 12:08 AM Re: Something absolutely positive
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Dotsie, That was awesome. It brings back so many good memories of my kids when they were younger. One of the cutest things they used to do when we were out in the back yard playing or swimming and a butterfly showed up, they would freeze where they were standing or swim to the steps of the pool and hold their arms out and wait to see if a butterfly would land on them. It happened several times, I have some great pics of them with butterflies on their heads! Man I miss those days!
Gerri

#119975 - 06/02/07 03:06 AM Re: Something absolutely positive [Re: gerrbeck]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I looked at this from 2 points of view - one of me being the child and the other of me being the Mother. First bra stories got me drifting back.

#119976 - 06/02/07 10:09 PM Re: Something absolutely positive [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ah, I'm going to try that chick. Great idea.

This is tough for me to read today. All three kids have been home for about ten days and two of them leave tomorrow. I feel very emotional. Our 18 year-old son and 19 year-old daughter go back to school after our little early Father's Day celebration! I can't tell you how much I love being int he company of my family. Who else feels that way?

And I'm not saying it's always a bowl full of cherries (I was dying earlier because it was noon and two of them were still in bed!), but I do love their coming and going, catching conversations when I can, hearing abouat their lives, etc. Sigh!

#119977 - 06/05/07 05:07 PM Re: Something absolutely positive
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Beautiful thoughts to share, Dotsie! Although, they are priceless!

Oh, I know exactly what you mean, dear. I get so emotional each time one of them leaves, and I try to cherish every minute when they're around. A mother's heart... we worry, hope, pray, plan, dream and love constantly, that endless love that has no boundaries, no excuses... just good, ole, LOVE!
NABBW & NAWW

#119978 - 06/07/07 12:03 AM Re: Something absolutely positive [Re: Songbird]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs....
we have butterfly kisses heer they are done with your eylashes to their cheek....is it the same way?????????

i thought i invented the saying velcro hugs lollllllll turns out i didn't.

on a seriouse note dotsie i so sorrie you hurt so much before and when they are going away but on the other hand i so happie for you that you experinces this degree of love.

i had heared all about the cost of kids before having them, i know about the sleepless nights, the worrie of them for them, the vulribilitie of giving into the world someone thats so presciouse that when they fall and bump or hurt then we bleed for their pain or the thought of their pain. and yet despite all those financile reasons, the stress to our bodies when carrieing a child, and the waking worrieing times we still go throw with it and have them anyway.

i done talks to women like myself about how to get pregnant and why one would....i had to resolve it to myself before ever talking to another about why one would have a kid. In all my thinking i have no defences for why we reproduces, i have no answere as to why i would want to go throw it...my head can't mesure or weigh up the reasons but the real reason can never be found in the head anyway thats why their no defences. Its always a hart choice, its always below or outside logic and sometimes even sences maybee its just the drive or our biological destinie that pushes us forwared to do it. I don't know the hundreds of situasions in which a woman would choise to have a child. But no matter what or how you think it will be its always diffrent and a more positive diffrences than one could ever had imagined. I think its just the process of being alive the day to day process of doing the small things that must seem so insignificant to others most of the time but to us that made the leap its the meaning of life itself.

i think for me its been a journey into descoverring just how much i am capible of love...did you ever for one moment imagine the depth and degree of feeling those wee bodies in the big world could procuce in you, i never did. But now i have i never change it for the world, despite the bumpie bits at times

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved