The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#117771 - 05/11/07 12:06 AM Random Acts of Kindness
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Maybe we could share with everyone, if we have ever been touched by a Random Act of Kindess. Or if you have been in a situation where you have had an opportunity to offer your help or kindness.

I have a one.

My Dad was visiting several months ago, when he decided to go for a walk. He managed to get to the end of the driveway but lost his balance and fell heavily onto the concrete.

A distant neighbor, who lived in the next street and whom I had never met before, saw my Dad fall as he was passing in his car.

He stopped and came back to give assistance & support and waited til the ambulance arrived. Something I was most grateful for and will never forget. It was just so nice to know that somebody cared.

My Dad was fine, he spent a couple of hours in hospital under observation, then came home and was his usual self except for a sore head for a few days. A happy outcome.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#117772 - 05/11/07 01:58 AM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: SharonE]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I was touched by a Random Act of Kindness about six weeks ago. I can't share all the details here, but I was in the middle of two devastating family crises - my brother's worsening condition and another family crisis that was just flung in my face two days earlier, one which had and will continue to have devastating fallout. I was sitting all alone sobbing in a secluded corner of a very crowded public place - the last place I'd ever imagined finding myself - scared and overwhelmed by the enormity of all that was going on at that moment. Out of nowhere a young woman approached me and placed a small rosary ring in my hand, and said: "This is just to remind you that you're not alone." As soon as I felt that cross in the palm of my hand, I felt a profound calmness wash over me, and prayed for guidance, heard God tell me "use this time wisely". I did by watching and observing and was able to find the exact right person to help us through the continuing maze of this situation.

It was a random act of kindness that will have longer-reaching ripples than that young woman could possibly have imagined when she pressed that rosary into my hands.

(Maya Angelou)

#117773 - 05/11/07 06:04 AM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: Eagle Heart]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Sharon, what a beautiful idea for a post theme.

Eagle, makes you think about caring extra rosary rings around with you…just in case.

When we moved from our tiny town house to the house we now live in, our neighbors got together and helped us. They not only organized the truck, they stuffed their own cars with our junk, and like a circus caravan moved all our belongings to our new home, about 80 miles away.

That was not all. They kept coming back. They wallpapered and painted our walls, hammered the ugly tiles away, tore out the old yellowed bathtub and shower stall, washed our windows, tore out the old carpeting, helped break down inside walls…the list goes on and on.

We could never thank them enough for all their help. It was about half our street! Our house was so crowded with helpers, that I hardly had any room to move myself!

I think one of the most precious gifts you can give another is your free time. They were a 'one time in a million' special group of friends. I get all mushy inside just thinking about it.

#117774 - 05/11/07 12:39 PM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: Edelweiss]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I read my post again, and just wanted to clarify that I mean caring rosary rings to give to others.

#117775 - 05/11/07 01:00 PM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great topic.

I love the idea of carrying something to give to others who look like they could use a boost.

Hannelore, your mention of time is so true. Everyone is so busy these days.

Our electric dog fence is broken and our dog has figured it out. The day she wandered, a total stranger came to the door to tell us she was on the other side of the street. It was someone who works and walks in our neighborhood. SHe knew our dog from walking by the house and assumed she had gotten loose. I was so touched that she came to the door to alert me.

Since attending an outdoor retreat last week, I committed to trying to smile at everyone I pass when I'm out and about. I'm working on it. Trying to make it a habit. It's not easy because I get in my own little world and forget, but I'm getting better already. I want this habit because I love it when strangers smile at me. It's so uplifting.

#117776 - 05/13/07 04:40 PM Re: Random Acts of Kindness
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
What you do ripples out in directions you never could imagine. It is difficult, in this day of not trusting strangers, to reach out and offer a kind word or helping hand. It takes courage.

Just hearing someone tell you that you aren't alone, or that it will all be okay, is often just enough to help you get by. I, for one, will continue to reach out when the opportunity and need arise.

#117777 - 05/13/07 07:10 PM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: SharonE]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Acts of Kindness..when we returned home from our daughter´s funeral service, the entire street had their flaggs waving at half mast..we had moved to this neighborhood only a year before our little girl died..so we were very surprised and touched by the "welcome" we received upon returning home. Our other children, who were not that old then, we very impressed by their act.

A week later one of our new neighbors had us all over for a wonderful dinner. I think it took alot of courage since we didn´t really know eachother that well. But her family wanted us to know that they were with us and were there if we needed them..

This happened in 1982, but as you see, we will never forget their kindness..

Just alittle humorous note..I got to know this neighbor very well during the following years..she always wentout late at nite with her dog in her night robe and smoking a cig..we met often at this time..and once when we met, she said..i am getting a divorce..why??? i asked and she said..because he never vacuum cleans..

#117778 - 05/13/07 09:25 PM Re: Random Acts of Kindness [Re: humlan]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
humlun, your act of kindness story is touching. I am so very sorry for you loss. I am glad that you have this special memory.

On the vacuum story... if he's gone, he certainly can't vacuum so why not just keep him anyway?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved