The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115942 - 04/28/07 04:11 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I 'retired' from the University a little over a year ago because I was fed up with the BS and with not being appreciated. Now I get state retirement and elected to continue with their health insurance. The state insurance is a good one that covers health, vision, and dental, so I can't complain. However, it takes up more than half my retirement check and just went up another $50 this year. Now, I'm working part-time for the Humane Society and taking classes part-time. Fortunately, I have a tuition waiver (as a retiree of the University) that covers about 90% of my tuition. I had to take a leave of absence for the rest of this semester because I couldn't keep up with two classes after my Mom died, so I am using the time to learn more about coaching and information research. I'm hoping that by fall when classes start again, I can have my businesses up and running and can quit my other job. If that doesn't work out, I'll just keep my 'day job' and keep taking classes.

I didn't plan very well for retirement financially. My savings aren't much at the moment, but I'm positive that working for myself will pay off in the long run. I'm just keeping a positive outlook and visioning a great future for myself.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#115943 - 04/29/07 02:16 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Yonuh, it's great to know you have options. What are you doing for the Humane Society? Curious to know if that's more of a passion type job.

#115944 - 04/29/07 02:24 PM Re: Retiring?
yonuh Offline

Dotsie, I'm doing clerical/accounting-type stuff. I am passionate about what the Humane Society does in educating the public. They also have an Animal Cruelty Taskforce in partnership with local law enforcement agencies. Sure, there are conflicts within the organization (aren't there always?) but the overall mission is what's important. I couldn't work for a big corporation any more, so non-profit is more in line with what I believe and practice.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#115945 - 05/13/07 09:14 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: orchid]
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I "retired" early, when I was 53 in order to do elder care for mother and aunt. my job at the time was a stressful sales position in the technology field. Not really sad to leave it (except for the pay!). I planned to go back to work, in probably a different position, after things settled down. Well, 1-1/2 years into that "retirement" I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. That changed everything. For a couple of years couldn't work even if wanted to. Now that I feel well enough to find a job, I've discovered that I don't want to spend the rest of my life working that hard again. Life is just not for work, work and more work. I am lucky enough to be able to scrape by financially (heaven help me tho if I beat this cancer thing and live another 30 years!!). However, with the cost of medical care and knowing that a major medical crisis could hit you at any time, I would be very concerned about taking an early retirement and having to get private insurance. Wait until medicare can cover you. So, when I talk to people about early retirement and the benefits, I say it's great...unless you get sick....

#115946 - 05/21/07 12:07 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: Elsielc]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I just retired on paper only, already have Medicare (whew!!)and instead of a widows benefit, as of June I will be collection on my own earned funds. I could have waited until age 70 and gotten a few hundred bucks more but hey, what if I'm dead? So I will be getting my own and its a lot more than what I was getting as a widow. I am very happy right now doing the happy dance...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#115947 - 05/21/07 01:04 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: chatty lady]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Good for you, Chatty. Health insurance is something we worry about after the hub retires. I doubt that he could even find a company to take him on with his health problems.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#115948 - 05/27/07 10:14 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
He might be able to but the premiums would probably be quite high.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#115949 - 06/03/07 03:29 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My husband has retired and now that's he's 65, he has signed up for Medicare. But, Medicare isn't enough. You have to have a supplemental insurance. Med A only pays hospitalization. I switched to the family plan on my insurance at work. It's very expensive, but I don't want to chance being without it. (for either one of us)

#115950 - 06/17/07 01:49 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: orchid]
char222 Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I retired early because my husband retired from his job and we wanted to travel and enjoy life...He died of cancer a year and a half later -- that was three years ago. I'm not sorry I left work and am grateful to have had 24/7 for that time but now I'm stuck....I took widow's benefits from social security and can only make a small amount if I work. Can't seem to find my way -- any suggestions???

#115951 - 06/17/07 01:51 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: char222]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi Char, and welcome to the forum. It's good that you got to spend that time together, but it sounds like a tough situation now. How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? Will you eventually be eligible for your own SS benefits?

Kathy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved