The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115932 - 04/21/07 04:15 PM Retiring?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Are you retiring soon? Do you know nayone who is? If so, what are you most excited about, and what are your greatest concerns?

#115933 - 04/22/07 01:31 PM Re: Retiring?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I'm not retiring soon, but I did retire kinda early.........I worked from the time I was 16 until I was 34, when I got married, and quit working to be able to travel with my husband who was doing alot of volunteer work for a veterans organization at the time which required a lot of travel. So I guess you could say I retired 16 years ago, when we got married.
My biggest concern at the time was no longer having my own paycheck, it took some getting used to being given a montly "allowance" to handle groceries and household expenses. We had been living together for a few years but until I quit my job, I used my paycheck to handle things like my car payments, my credit card bills, etc. By the time we got married everything was paid off and we worked out a financial system that works for us. And we have taken care of business so that I will be ok financially if something were to happen to my husband (disabled veteran).
I was excited about not having to deal with the stress of a 40+ hour per week job, and worried about how I was going to fill my days when we weren't traveling. Staying in touch with some friends became a challenge because I was the only one of my old gang that wasn't working and our schedules just didn't jive anymore. But as I got involved in other things, more friends came along. It did take a while to adjust to the idea of not having to go to work every day.
Somehow, 16 years later, filling my days is no longer a problem -- finding time to do eveything I want to do in the course of a day is the problem these days!!

#115934 - 04/22/07 02:24 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I retired two years ago this last February and now I work 7 days a week. Go figure. BUT...the difference is it is heaven now. I LOVE MY JOB(s).

#115935 - 04/23/07 02:40 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I am far from retiring and cannot consider retiring early.

But is useful to know people, close, who are retired to see how they handle it ....so to prepare better for future.

Yesterday, while having a coffee at market, we met a woman who was forced to retire early..and she moved to Ontario after living in Vancouver for 30 yrs. She regretted the move and felt she should have waited for 1 yr. after shock of job loss. Now she cannot move back because of cost.

A close friend of mine retired abit early (maybe by 3 yrs. early) without much impact on company pension. A single, childless woman her whole life who owned a home (several times).

She finally decides to:

a) not have a car. She sold her car after working out the cost. She lives 5 min. from subway, buses and many stores, services, restaurants. She drove a car for about 40 yrs. of her life. She uses taxis several times per year.

b) She rents after having home ownership for 30 years. She decided not tie up her equity so much. Just very carefully live in lower rental place, etc. Not sure I could do that...but she has thought this one through.

She knows the consequences of aging, retirement...I mean she was medical librarian specializing in geriatric medicine and sociology of aging for 15 years. So one does see alot of useful info. to prepare...eyes wide open for the future.

Note: I began my career by working for this woman in the same area of medicine. Just in my mid-20's I was working in a place that happened to be ...in a good nursing home. At the cusp of life, to witness others in twilight. An excellent learning point for myself...to make good of life now, not when I'm retired and not as strong/fit.

I also worked for judges for several years. Judges in Canada do have the choice as their work benefit to retire at 72-75. Before, they can work part-time, still presiding over court cases, writing up court decisions, etc. It is inspiring to witness very sharp minds still nearing 70. A powerful indicator that if you keep your mind very active, full of positive learning and contribute to your community, it will keep your brain still alert...and happy.

My partner took early retirement. He has a few friends, who retired at 65 or just a bit early. Yes, they are all healthy because...they still bike, volunteer alot. Often you cannot only tell in their body shape (no not every is svelte, but certainly not plodding along in footstep), but in their faces...alert, a certain fitness in their skin/face and relaxed.

Very true, that our generation could live abit longer with better quality if we plan abit better. So much information to help us if we take advantage of that good info. for our well-being.

#115936 - 04/23/07 05:08 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

crosstitch, great to see you. How've you been? I'm glad you've settled in to your retirement. Prior to working, I never had a hard time filling my days either.

What about health insurance in retirement? What are women doing about that?

#115937 - 04/23/07 11:44 AM Re: Retiring?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hi Dotsie, I'm doing great. Just been busy, (fishing tournaments and the usual) but things should be quieter for a while and hopefully I'll find more time to spend here on the boards again!
Health insurance was not an issue for me as I'm entitled to health insurance thru my husband -- he gets full coverage thru the VA and I have full coverage thru Tricare (although we do pay for a supplemental to pick up where Tricare leaves off and it seems like the rates go up every year.......we pay more than twice now, what we paid when we first signed up with the supplemental 16 years ago).. I have retired friends though who pay unbelievable amounts for their health insurance and don't have nearly the coverage that I have.......it's definitely a concern for many.

#115938 - 04/24/07 09:55 AM Re: Retiring? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Maybe you and your hubby can hook up with chick. She's a big fisherwoman too! Good to see you back.

#115939 - 04/24/07 05:34 PM Re: Retiring?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Yes Dotsie, I would rather fish than eat...well almost. Crosstitch we'll have to "hook" up next time I'm in Florida.

#115940 - 04/27/07 08:34 PM Re: Retiring? [Re: chickadee]
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
My hubby and I retired a few years ago and we are both extremely happy the way our lives have "evolved" since then. I am free to write whenever I want to, he's free to go flying whenever he wants to instead of just on weekends, and we can travel whenever we feel like it instead of scheduling it around our jobs.

We are very fortunate - we realize that. His health benefits cover us totally and with all the health issues I myself have had (!!) this has been a real blessing.

#115941 - 04/28/07 05:54 AM Re: Retiring?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

.What about health insurance in retirement? What are women doing about that?

Dotsie, it really is different in Canada in terms of health care. For Canadians, if a person got a heart attack, they would get paramedic/9-1-1 aid, care in hospital with cardiologists in some cases, etc.... and the Canadian wouldn't have to pay for the diagnosis, etc. For a Canadian just under Medicare, they might not stay as long in hospital or not get a private room, but hey, you are not charged fees.

It is part of our Medicare system -across Canada, whether or not you are poor or wealthy.

A woman would worry more about her housing (if she is living in a high real estate priced city, etc.), ....other stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved