The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#115153 - 04/16/07 03:31 AM Increasing traffic to website - how to?
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
I have found that there are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of different websites claiming to be able to increase traffic to your website.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or share their experiences in regard to increasing the number of visitors to their website? What has worked for you, and what hasn't?

I'm pretty sure I have done everything right to optimize for the search engines, my mentor agrees, however I think google has put me in their 'sandbox'. I have heard that because of the sheer numbers of new websites (mine are less than 6mths old), at least some of us have to spend time in the sandbox before being allowed out to participate with our keywords in the search engines/marketplace. Could this possibly be true I have been told that it is

Any thoughts, comments, or advice would be very much appreciated.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#115154 - 04/16/07 03:44 AM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: SharonE]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sharon, I'm not that savvy...but I've heard that the longer you keep a domain name the better it is...they recommend you getting your name.com and any other possible names you can think of and just parking them...

Do they give you toys in the sandbox?

#115155 - 04/16/07 03:54 AM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
SharonE Offline

Thanks for the tip Jane.

No toys in this sandbox.... it's quicksand

#115156 - 04/16/07 06:52 AM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: SharonE]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Jane, the compitition in the realestate business here in Germany is as big as in the States.

I have an average of about 50 to 80 clicks on my website per day. When it's really good I get around 150. It doesn't knock you off your rocker, but compared to my small business real estate colleagues, well, I'm doing something right.

Marketing is the key of course, but where? I try to get people curious in my newspaper adds. Just tid bits of information and then the website address printed BIG for more info. I believe too much info in your ad, kills their curiosity to seek more.

I advertise in the local and larger papers. I'm in about 20 different internet sites and use the same method; just enough information to make 'em curious. It really pays off. I sell about 90% through internet, so my largest investment is in advertising. I have also tried billboards, but they don't bring much. It's too much trouble for people to write your web-site address out.

We are in two different businesses, but marketing is marketing. That always remains the same.

#115157 - 04/16/07 11:07 AM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Do you offer a newsletter? This would be a great way to keep in touch with your target audience.

#115158 - 04/16/07 05:03 PM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

HL...those are great tips...you're right...marketing is marketing...

#115159 - 04/16/07 11:30 PM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
My understanding is that by understanding who your target audience is and what they put into the search engines is key. There are a few tools to do this. You might look at www.hittail.com (I think it's free) to see how people get to your site. Then, make sure you use the words that people use to search in the content on your page. Having lots of links helps, too, some people say.

Of course, there are those who say this and those who say that and often they don't agree. :-)) But if someone says that they can guarantee that you get to the first page in a few weeks, don't believe them!

#115160 - 04/17/07 12:02 AM Re: Increasing traffic to website - how to? [Re: Casey]
SharonE Offline

JJ, yes I do offer a newsletter and I agree it's a great way of keeping in touch. Thanks.

Hannelore, I will concentrate more on linking to other relevant websites, and also look into more hard copy (newspaper) ads etc as finance allows. I like your strategy of creating curiosity with your readers and directing them to your website for more information. Great stuff, thank you.

Casey, thanks also for your tips. I will take a look at hittail.com
I understand what you are saying about how people use search engines. My website: www.babyboomerexpress.com is a purpose built website where I have done as you have suggested using keywords that customers use in the search engines (70% use google). The keywords I use not only relate to the products, but also have a high search volume (through google) but little competition in regard to the number of websites offering the product. Therefore I should be receiving about 5,000 visitors/mth. This isn't happening, so my mentor & I assume that babyboomerexpress has been placed in the google sandbox. Apparently a lot of new websites end up there for anywhere up to 12 mths. Google says the sandbox doesn't exist.

I will put in place everyones suggestions, thank you all very much. I'll also let you know if I experience a sudden and dramatic jump in visitor numbers - it might indicate that I've been released from the dreaded sandbox!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved