The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#11424 - 04/02/03 05:52 PM Let them talk war...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Many of our fathers are WW II and Korean War Vets.

I am grateful that this war (not that I am gratful for war!) has allowed my dad to tell some of his war stories. This has never happened before. It has always been something that we didn't talked about. [Confused]

Yesterday he was sharing stories, I was asking questions, and he was empathizing with our soldiers fighting this war.

I have read books about war and seen movies, but to hear Dad tell it like it is was, touched me. [Wink] It also educated me on the day in and day out events of living with your home on your back, FEARing for your life and the lives of fellow soldiers.

I encourage you to try to talk with war vets. I think it blesses everyone involved.

I am aware that many of the women in this forum may have spouses that fought in Viet Nam, or children in the Gulf War...I guess the same goes for those stories. The memories must be tough, but sometimes when shared, it heals. How corny, but "Friends Heal Friends"

#11425 - 04/03/03 12:51 AM Re: Let them talk war...
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
This is very true, Dotsie. My dad was never in the service, due to a heart murmur, but he was ready and willing to go if the military would take him during WWII.
My husband served in Vietnam from Sept. '68 to Sept. '69. He talked a lot about his experiences, and many a night I cradled him in my arms while he cried like a baby for the friends he lost. He described wounds and friends being killed right beside him during battles. He told of booby traps, Agent Orange, fire fights, and other horrible things that are routine during military battles. I listened and supported him always. He told me about a young woman who met him in the airport when he first stepped foot back in the USA after returning from Vietnam. She ran up to him, spit on his uniform and called him a "baby killer". That is the only time he has ever hit a woman.
My son served in the Marines during the first Gulf War. He told me about accidentally getting within 2 miles of the Iraqi border when his global positioning equipment failed during maneuvers.
I hope our troops return home quickly and safely, but I know there have been casualties and likely will be more yet. I pray for the families of these servicepeople. They will need all of our support.
It is never easy to listen to these stories, but I have found that those that talk about it and don't keep it buried inside usually adjust much better to civilian life.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved