The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#114320 - 09/21/07 12:53 PM Re: Only in public...
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Dotsie, other than child rearing, I can think of no part of my life that took harder work, or gives me more rewards, than my realtionship with my husband. And considering the children were being raised at the same time as that relationship grew and matured, I'm sometimes amazed we managed it at all! If my husband asked me for a simple explanation of why it's worked for us, I'd answer him with this line from a Rob Thomas song:

Cuz there's a little bit of something me
In everything in you

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#114321 - 09/21/07 02:42 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: Jeannine]
Emyjay Offline

Dotsie,

I'm having a great time at my site. The not so nice supervisor is still my boss, but her boss, the executive director, is leaving.

So, I think she's in for a shock. It's been a free-ride for her, for reasons non of us can figure out. But, what's that saying about the wheels of the gods move slowly but . . . ???

Also, my number one husband never took his vows seriously. Apparently, his mind was on one of his girlfriends while we were standing in front of the minister.

If you marry one like that, it is impossible to work or talk things. Out. Mine would say he was going out for milk, and not come home for three or four days. No kidding.

I'm just saying this because others on this site may have been or are married to a Husband-Missing-In-Action.

My current husband is still a work in progress. There have been enough good times to counteract the rough times. For this I am thankful.

Mrs. - how are you doing today? Keep posting. Keep venting. Let it out. Just know that you will find yourself in a better place. (((((((((((((Mrs.)))))))))

My heart goes out to you.

Emily

#114322 - 09/21/07 07:44 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: Emyjay]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
We're moving to China. Got the news today.

Bah.

#114323 - 09/22/07 05:28 AM Re: Only in public... [Re: mrs_madness]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Is it your hubby's job that's causing the relocation?
What is the city/area?

Do you have an opportunity to visit other family/long-term friends at this time? I guess spending a month or so somewhere else?

#114324 - 09/22/07 07:03 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Gosh Mrs. Madness, I think you are leading a fascinating life. But of course looking in from the outside means I have no clue as to how fascinating it really is.

Yes, can you tell us where in China you’ll be moving to? If you are anywhere near where the Olympics are being held, then maybe we could meet?

I know you didn’t like Russia. Do you think the same awaits you in China? From what I’ve heard it is a country of extremes. There are the new rich, who don’t know what to do with all their money, and then the poor peasant farmers, who don’t have a clue as to the economic explosion going on there.

What are you doing to prepare for this move, or are you taking it cold turkey?

#114325 - 09/22/07 07:53 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
mrs madness, you must tell us more. Are you excited, disgruntled, anxious about the move? Please tell us more. Oh, and make sure the first thing you do when you get there is sign up for the internet.

#114326 - 09/23/07 06:32 AM Re: Only in public... [Re: Edelweiss]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Quote:

Gosh Mrs. Madness, I think you are leading a fascinating life. But of course looking in from the outside means I have no clue as to how fascinating it really is.

Yes, can you tell us where in China you’ll be moving to? If you are anywhere near where the Olympics are being held, then maybe we could meet?

I know you didn’t like Russia. Do you think the same awaits you in China? From what I’ve heard it is a country of extremes. There are the new rich, who don’t know what to do with all their money, and then the poor peasant farmers, who don’t have a clue as to the economic explosion going on there.

What are you doing to prepare for this move, or are you taking it cold turkey?

Beijing. Yes of course you can come visit! You're planning on going to the Olympics?

Yeah I thought it was facinating too....for a while. Not facinating any more. Moscow a city of 20 million, Beijing 12 million. I am not thrilled at the prospect of going to another big dirty mega city. I hear that the smog in Beijing is horrific. Some of the wold's worst .

You don't know, or maybe you do, that traveling for a fun vacation, and living in some 3rd world country, are two entirely different things. As far as I'm concerned both Russia and China are 3rd world countries. And while the husband happily trots off to work every morning....

I get to figure out how to ride the bus in a foreign country. I get to figure out how to buy the food and where things are and how to get a dentist appt. and shlep everything home in a wheelie cart. I'm the one who has to get a grasp of whatever language is going on because I'm the one who takes care of everything. This is neither exciting nor fun. It's exhausting. It has taken me years to acquire a minimum of survival skills here and now I get to do it all over again.

bah

#114327 - 09/23/07 06:11 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: mrs_madness]
Emyjay Offline

Mrs. Madness,

This move sounds exciting to me, too! But then, I'm not moving there. And I'm not you.

Since so many Americans do business in Bejing, you'll probably be able to connect with other Americans. Hopefully.

By the time you finish organizing all of these third world moves, you'll be a professional where-the-h--l-are-you-taking-me veteran! You could write a book or open a third world relocation business!

Emily (who has never lived outside DC or Maryland)

#114328 - 09/23/07 11:05 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: Emyjay]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Mrs. madness, I haven't been to China yet..nor any ASian country yet. But I've been wanting to go off and on which is why I've been following lazily the economic development, politics,etc. of what's happening ..for the past 15 yrs.

It must difficult to live in a country that is not of your choosing at all, not even at the innocent, "honeymoon" stage of exotic destinations.

I Hope that you will immerse yourself with a group of Chinese English-speaking women...Beijing is an intellectual nerve centre for China for hundreds of years and so you will not be isolated.

But it does require the lst step. Since I am Chinese, but I don't speak /understand Mandarin at all, this would be my first attempt to immerse myself in that society there.

OR take a course/volunteer. Since China is experiencing some social problems because of very rapid economic development, modernization, dislocation of families/members between rural and big cities, Beijing would have some advocacy / non-profit organizations started up...and these organizations would be courageous in their work at this point in history. There's alot of work in: environmental protection, occupational safety, women's issues (women's shelters, etc.), counselling (pyschiatry is a relatively new discipline in China), fitness and arts.

Otherwise the city, any city will appear impenetrable and always foreign to you.

I would like to hear about your food shopping expeditions. I would like to know what you learn... there.

#114329 - 09/24/07 05:12 PM Re: Only in public... [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I believe I see a boomer meeting taking place during the Olympics.

Hannelore is going to go watch her DIL play volleyball! I hope you two gals can meet.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved