The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113511 - 04/03/07 12:18 PM Gardening
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know we've had this topic in here before, but I thought I'd begin again since this is the season for gardening in this part of the country. What's everyone doing in their gardens these days?

I have a brand new dandelion problem. How do you kill them without killing the annuals?

#113512 - 04/03/07 12:26 PM Re: Gardening
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'd dig them out Dotsie. That's the safest way.

I got myself some new herbs to add to my herb garden this year. A couple different thymes, french tarragon and Yarrow.

And I planted some Lamb's Ears. I just love those and haven't had any in my yard since we moved here.

I also bought some red impatiens to liven the yard up a bit. I like to do mostly bushes and trees with a splash of red here and there.

I got a new tree this year too. A contorted filbert tree. It's really neat. It's branches are all twisty and turny and it will get edible nuts eventually.

I haven't started the veggies yet.

#113513 - 04/03/07 01:37 PM Re: Gardening [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Two words ... FIRE ANTS.

Any suggestions?

#113514 - 04/03/07 10:49 PM Re: Gardening [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My roses are blooming and our ice plant is blooming, too. I have two beds full of wildflowers that are going crazy. The palo verde is getting ready to bloom, and if you've never seen one in bloom it is a sight to behold! We dig up weeds as we don't like to use pesticides on anything, and fire ants aren't a problem here yet. We do have leaf cutter ants but they're harmless. I read somewhere that sprinkling cornmeal around ant hills will eventually kill them - they carry it into the nest, can't digest it, and die. Whether or not this really works I don't know.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#113515 - 04/04/07 03:35 AM Re: Gardening [Re: yonuh]
ktri Offline

Weeds...this year I am trying the newspaper trick. Put down several layers of newspaper. Weeds can't get thru them. I saw it last year in someone's vegetable garden. It works.

Ants and cornmeal...I think I just read something about that in a tips post here yesterday.

My garden...someone from the city just came yesterday to talk to me. They have a rain garden program here in my town. If you plant an approved rain garden they give you a freeeeee rain barrel and a bit of a break on your water bill. I signed up over the winter and the person came out to check the location and approve it. I can't wait to get started. My rain barrel arrived today! I'm planting astilbe, lobelia cardinalis, some grasses and Queen of the Prairie.

#113516 - 04/04/07 04:46 AM Re: Gardening [Re: jawjaw]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Quote:

Two words ... FIRE ANTS.

Any suggestions?

Fire ants. Can do.

I lived in Texas for 25 years. Fire ants killed my pets, ate the electrical wiring, swarmed my kids and ruined the yard.

What works is this: Logic or Award. We used to buy it at the feed store, sometimes could find it in garden centers. Sometimes had to get the feed store to order it for me, but it works! And it's expensive.

What it is is a fire ant growth hormone. Not poison. Will not kill a living fire ant or anything else so its safe in the yard around pets and kids and people. The ants carry it back to the colony, feed it to the queen, and all the subsequent eggs she lays will fail to hatch. It takes about 3 or 4 weeks before you will notice a reduced number of ants. If you stay after the problem doggedly, you will reduce the number of ants 90% within a year.

But as you well know there are other issues: if neighboring properties don't treat for fire ants they will move right back into your yard from next door; and their labyrinth of connected mounds stretches for miles. Ants ants and more ants.

Logic/Award (I've seen it sold under both names) is the ONLY thing that works. Killing ants with poison is just dangerous to the environment and people, and isn't effective. They come back with a vengence in short order.

What we used to do (it was about 5 acres) is get some 1 pound coffee cans and poke a bunch of holes in the plastic lids. Put Logic in the cans and send everybody out on a Saturday morning shaking the stuff over the entire property, doesn't need to be a thick coating just the ocassional granules. Wait 2 or 3 weeks. Do it again. after that you will notice a rapid decrease in the ants.

I know your fire ant pain. If I can be of any other assistance with this problem please let me know. I hate fire ants with a passion.

#113517 - 04/04/07 11:20 PM Re: Gardening [Re: mrs_madness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thus far, a yarrow, herbs, salvia, coreopsis, gallardia, will plant more later, after Easter as we are expecting a near freeze. Wishing for more rain, though, as my rain dance consist of moving the sprinklers every 1/2 hour!

Fire ants, I was told to try corn meal as they will eat it and then explode! May try it and will let ya'll know if successful! Happy gardening!

#113518 - 04/06/07 01:51 AM Re: Gardening
ktri Offline

They have come out with the most beautifl calla lily. Deep purple/black with a fuschia edge. And the leaves are spotted with a purple edge. Check this out:
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=324

#113519 - 04/06/07 12:40 PM Re: Gardening [Re: ktri]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh that IS pretty ktri! Thanks for sharing that site, too. I bookmarked it for later.

Oh gosh. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for the info on the fire ants. And let me tell the rest of you to NOT waste your cornmeal. This will NOT kill them. Mrs Madness was so right on the money about the ant hills being like bird poop (they are everywhere). What people don't realize is that if you get one ant hill, there's another one underground a few feet away and they are alive and well. So trying the AWARD/LOGIC is going to be my next move. I can't thank you enough!

It is unbelievable how large some of these ant hills get to be. I saw a "Apartment for Rent" sign outside one of them the other day. OMG...

My concern is my grandbeauty wanting to play in the yard.

And you are right, the best you can hope for is to move them out of YOUR yard and hope the neighbors take care of the problem in theirs as well!

#113520 - 04/08/07 01:21 AM Re: Gardening [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

JJ
I feel your pain. As you know I'm on the coast south of you and it's a huge problem here, too. We put poison on mounds and new ones pop up over night. Our property is too big to be able to do what Mrs Madness suggests but I wish we could. I make the mistake of wearing flip flops outside and inevitably step in a mound hidden beneath the grass. I guess if I were you I'd inspect a section of grass really thoroughly and try to keep your little one within that area. Fire ants are truly a curse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved