The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#112610 - 03/26/07 01:47 PM how do you pray?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This topic was brought up in another fodom so I thought it might be fun to discuss all the ways we pray because many of us have differing thoughts and belief systems.

While praying on my knees was typical for me as a child, I rarely do it at this point in my life. I pray standing up, sitting down, behind the wheel, in the garden, at the table, in bed, in the shower/bath, while posting for others, at the kitchen table daily, and any other place in the world where I feel moved to do so. Prayer has no boundaries.

How about you?

#112611 - 03/26/07 07:07 PM Re: how do you pray?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I pray by writing letters to God. Then I shred them because they are so personal I wouldn't want anyone to read such private thoughts.

laurapoplin.com

#112612 - 03/26/07 07:33 PM Re: how do you pray? [Re: Daisygirl]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I usually pray in the kitchen. The kitchen has always been my favorite room in any house, just about. I face the East, too. Why? I don't have a clue. Just seems "fitting."

#112613 - 03/26/07 07:46 PM Re: how do you pray? [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I pray all over and at anytime. My prayers are so different, tho, in that I don't pray to God or Jesus, but to the universe. I focus my thoughts towards the needs, wants and positive spirit to others and for myself.

Sometimes, I confess, that I do hesitate to tell the gals on the forums that I will pray for them, because I know that my beliefs are about universal spirit and not about Christianity. I don't know how some would feel about my prayers for them and their loved ones.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#112614 - 03/26/07 07:55 PM Re: how do you pray? [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Informally and formally. The former would be more like conversations with God and often prone to distractions especially when done in the course of the day and alongside the day's activities. But those distractions eventually become part of the prayer.

The latter would be contemplative and in private where the heart can be fully contrite, humbled and grateful. I still pray the rosary on my knees as part of my devotion to Our Lady of Fatima.

#112615 - 03/26/07 11:23 PM Re: how do you pray? [Re: Lola]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Mine come in the form of chatting inside my head...and I do that all the time when I feel like it. It becomes more formal for me when I meditate though...

When I am particularly lonely or emotionally sore, or indeed when I feel especially joyous or greatful and connected, I pray in gealic...using prayers from my childhood and the rosary, it realy soothes me...and I say them out loud for Celtic and I think she gets some of that soothing feeling too. The prayers sound so beautiful in Irish...it's nearly like singing.

Lola....I could teach you the rosary in gealic if you like...I have a wee feeling you might enjoy that too a chara(my freind in gealic)

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#112616 - 03/26/07 11:41 PM Re: how do you pray? [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lola, I'm so glad to see you back! Welcome home girlfriend.

Anno, I would feel really special if you ever felt the need to pray for me. When it comes from the heart, such as yours would, how can this be a bad thing? I for one, would be happy about it. Very.

#112617 - 03/27/07 12:17 AM Re: how do you pray? [Re: Poppie]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I don't know how to describe it but I'll try. I live in a state of constant connectedness like my thoughts are conversation with Christ. Any news that comes to my mind automatically is transferred as prayer or conversation with Christlike we are constantly connected (?)

An example of that is while watching the news, I hear a story of a newsman who is killed in Iraq and my heart, mind and spirit automatically reacts in prayer, "Oh, God, in the name of Jesus, please comfort his family!" and at that moment all my senses are involved, my heart, mind and spirit.

When I've had too much to drink or are afraid for some reason, even then, I ask for help on many levels. Sometimes I just have a premonition of tragedy or danger like the day Aaliyah almost drowned, right before my daughter called me, I had a vision of her in a pool underwater, then my daughter called me...at that very moment of the vision, I pleaded and pleaded for (1) it to just be bad pizza but (2) for her safety and wellbeing..while I was at it, I prayed for all my grandkids safety and my daughters and mom and dad too.

#112618 - 03/27/07 12:27 AM Re: how do you pray? [Re: NewLeaf]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Sometimes in that connectedness with Christ, prayer is just a feeling of total happiness, elation, peace and joy and at those times I'm thanking Christ for being, for loving me and for all His blessings.

Po, sometimes I pray in another language when I don't exactly know what to say but the Holy Spirit knows and the other language just flows from my spirit and I feel releaf and overwhelming peace when I'm through.

#112619 - 03/27/07 06:06 AM Re: how do you pray? [Re: NewLeaf]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Po: An Irish lady at the retreat addressed all of us "am chara" but I never got to ask her what it meant. Well, after a full week of vespers, angelus, matins etc at the cloisters in Latin from dawn to dusk, I'd surely appreciate the "Hail Mary" in Gaelic. Can you please share it with me?

Glad to be back, JJ. I'll be off again shortly after Easter, however, to be with my grandchildren four days a week for a full year!

Hi, Anno: To be carried by someone in prayer in heart, mind and spirit in any form and manner, is a communion of souls despite differences in expressions. I would not hesitate to request your prayers at all.

Hi, Newleaf: I hope all is well with Aliyah now. I can understand how frightful that experience must have been for her and you.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved