The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#109521 - 03/01/07 03:56 AM Colours you love to wear & change over yrs.
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
For the past 2 decades, I tend to prefer clear jewel tone colours that are rich/deep or bright-rich that is close to my face/upper body. Such as ultramarine/royal blue, certain reds (particularily scarlett red, red-orange), rich dark bright purple/mauve, yes I can/do wear fuschia pink and coral pink.

I have naturally black hair and with my colouring I should be wearing colour tones that take advantage of it. Will wear certain types of pastels.

Browns must be rich looking. light bright creme white or light bright grey. Otherwise slate grey just looks awful against my skin tone.

And I seldom wear fabrics with patterns anymore. Now 90% of my wardrobe are solid colours, with some interesting embossed textile or textures sometimes for interst.

THe older I get, it seems the clearer/simpler and purer in colours I want to wear. No muddy or dusky shades unless the shade is on the pale, light side.

ANd I do ear some neon yellow/green tops...I have 3 jackets and cycling top that fits this bill. I have no compromises when it comes to my life safety. But it is a colour that can look sharp on anyone with dark hair. And it is a colour right now, that can make you look younger/hip/active...if you engage in any form of sport. Who cares if you are announcing your presence?

#109522 - 03/01/07 08:37 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: orchid]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I just can't wear yellow or my skin will look too sallow. Jewel tones are great on me; they bring nice compliments.
Prints are in my favor; wrinkles and spots are less visible, and prints have a
way of hiding small bulges : )
The prints I have are small to medium.

#109523 - 03/01/07 09:32 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: diamond50]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I love Oriental Red. I could swim in it. My favorite colors are Oriental Red, white and black and sage green. Yellow reminds me of nausea and earwax although it is cheery.

I also like deep purple and cream.

Colors I don't particularly like: orange or salmon, aqua blue or peach.

#109524 - 03/01/07 11:55 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: NewLeaf]
Mountain Ash Offline

Colour is so individual.I need jewel colours too.But plum and dark purple are good too.Yellow is a no no.I had dark brown hair(Some silver there now)
My daughter blonde with brown eyes suits peach beige and browns
There is one shade of pink a soft beige pink that makes me look ill..
Mountain ash

#109525 - 03/01/07 01:10 PM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: Mountain Ash]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I'm big on red -- always get compliments when I wear red so I wear it a lot!! Almost never wear yellow, green, or brown shades, although a deep forest green is ok on me. Lots of black and grey in my wardrobe too -- great for traveling, it mixes and matches well. I can wear shades of peach well, but not too crazy about pink. Deep purples are ok on me too.
I love tropical, Hawaiian prints for tops -- don't know if it's the Florida influence or just me. Lots of times I'll put a solid tank, camisole or t-shirt under a Hawaiian print shirt that has the matching color in the print. Don't know what it is about those tropical prints -- they're just always bright and cheery (although I am kinda picky about them.......some of them are just TOO wild)
For the gym it's almost always dark on the bottom half (black, navy,dark gray) and anything goes on the top half -- my gym tops are a rainbow of colors, whatever strikes my mood in the morning..........

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (03/01/07 01:13 PM)

#109526 - 03/01/07 02:33 PM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Green is my colour. I get complimented on it more than any other colour. Not just any green, the colour of my eyes green. I like black, always have and red suits me. Salmon, pick, orange makes me look washed out. White makes me look like death eating a cracker.

chick

#109527 - 03/02/07 03:41 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Green is my colour. I get complimented on it more than any other colour. Not just any green, the colour of my eyes green. I like black, always have and red suits me. Salmon, pick, orange makes me look washed out. White makes me look like death eating a cracker.

chick

Still trying to figure out the metaphor cracker, chick. But it made me laugh, nevertheless. I'm sure you look great in green.

And Cross-stitch, the rare patterned stuff I have, has exotic tropical flowers. I got a floral skort from Hawaii. Another is actually a huge long scarf, black with some bright tropical flowers on the edge. I wear it wrapped and tied around my waist/bottom, like a short skirt sarong...to work. With a black, high neckline tank top.

I only wear certain greens close to my face. It tends to be bright, clear neon/lime or a light bright teal, not blue dark teal green. However deep rich forest green looks good on some of my sisters who have a slighter different skin tone than myself.

Can wear a clear medium shade orange. Not dark orange. Black must be deep, rich black..and a certain cut of clothing. Older I get, the more careful I become in choosing specific necklines and styles with black cloth. For instance, black turtleneck does not compliment me, but a rich black top with an interesting necklace is ok.

Used to have favourite wardrobe colour or 2. But not really anymore. It depends on the shade, style of clothing, combination in outfit.

Do wonder what fave colours will it be at age ....85...90???

Edited by orchid (03/02/07 06:49 AM)

#109528 - 03/03/07 06:39 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

http://members.tripod.com/ClanOfDanu/colors.html

This is an interesting link which describes the colors and their meanings as they relate to people and personalities. Its a fun link.

#109529 - 03/03/07 06:48 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

http://members.tripod.com/ClanOfDanu/colors.html

This is an interesting link which describes the colors and their meanings as they relate to people and personalities. Its a fun link.

#109530 - 03/06/07 12:18 PM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs. [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I wear lots of black and have added brown this year. Brown is the new black and since I'm so fashion forward...NOT. Anyway, I have brought a couple brown pieces and love wearing it with the new shade of green since I have green eyes.

I also wear pink and white and that's about it in the winter. I venture into other bright colors in the spring and summer like turqouise and yellow. That's about it. WHen I shop, I look for those colors and it makes it so much easier.

Did anyone have their colors read back in the late 70s? I never did but I recall it was the in thing to do back then.

#109531 - 03/17/07 07:04 AM Re: Colours you love to wear & change over yrs.
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm a visual artist with a very strong sense of color. Sometimes I blanch when I see people wearing colors that look horrible on them. I'm olive-skinned brunette and here are my palette categories:

"oh-my-gosh-that-color-looks-gorgeous-on-you!" (me)
black, white, anything bright
all red derivatives -- red, orange, hot pink, fuchsia, bright purples
turquoise, the brighter the better
turquoise-green
sunshine yellow (bright yellow with hint of orange, not green-yellows)
bright peach or salmon
french vanilla or light pure (non-green) yellow

OK colors
darker cranberry or purples
red-browns, rust, and other non-green browns
light lime
bright purple-blue or green-blue
bubble gum pink

Kiss of Death
gray
khaki green
beige (not off-white, which I can wear)
mustard
navy blue
denim blue
baby blue
blue
pastel pink, lavendar, blue or green
acid yellow
did I mention navy blue? I really look putrid in that color.

As far as patterns -- I love anything animal print, although I have to be careful with certain browns or beige tones. I wear solid tops a lot with either solid or patterned bottoms, because jewelry doesn't go with patterned tops. I do like unusual big pattern tops, though. I never wear cute little florals.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved