The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109318 - 02/26/07 03:30 AM Great Destinations?
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Would anyone like to comment about their favorite destination for a vacation?
I am planning a trip to New Zealand mid-year. I was born there but haven't been back for 28 yrs. It's very exciting.
I am also looking forward to planning a trip to somewhere(?) next year. Any suggestions?
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#109319 - 02/26/07 03:52 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Sharon,
There's a website www.tangodiva.com that is all about women and travel...I don't know a lot about it...but I think they feature information for women traveling alone...I don't know what your circumstances are in that regards...

Otherwise...I've done primarily domestic travel within the US...nothing exciting enough to travel from Australia! LOL!

#109320 - 02/26/07 01:10 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Here's an article worth perusing, "Eight places every woman should go." One of them is a few blocks from where I live, the Russian banya, and I've been there!

http://travel.news.yahoo.com/b/rolf_potts/20070219/rolf_potts/rolf_potts22400

#109321 - 02/26/07 03:16 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: mrs_madness]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I loved Southern France. St Tropez is wonderful. I also loved visiting Monico. Beautiful!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#109322 - 02/26/07 11:23 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I've been to Ireland, Scotland, and England, as far as overseas and fell in love with each country and the people. But let me tell you, if you haven't seen Yellowstone and all of the natural formations and wild life, you haven't lived. Every corner you turn has another sight to behold.

I would recommend it to anyone, any time.

#109323 - 02/26/07 11:29 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
What are your interests? Where could you best persue these interests?

I love to shop, visit history and view scenery. I have been to most of the Latin American/South American countries, the UK, France, China, Switzerland and this summer Spain and Portugal. Have visited all 50 states (and yes, Yellowstone is very much worth the trip) and can't say that I have every had anything but a wonderful trip.

My favorite, tho, was my trip to the UK. Maybe because it was my first trip across the Atlantic, or may the company, or maybe the language (although I can't say I understood all of the English language). I loved Wales, England and Scotland. The people were outstanding, hospitable and generous. And the beer and whiskey was pretty good too.

Can't wait to hear where you end up going.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109324 - 02/26/07 11:48 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, you've been to all 50 states? That's awesome. I have elderly friends who have done the same. What are some of your favorite states?

Sharon, most of the time I travel for vacation, I go to nice beaches. I've been to five of the islands in Hawaii, St. Thomas, St. John. Virgin Gorda, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica, Bermuda, Bahamas and a few others. Let me know if you want to go to a nice beach. I should be able to help you out.

#109325 - 02/26/07 11:54 PM Re: Great Destinations?
Anno Offline

Yup, I made it to Alaska 2 years ago, the last of the 50. I love all the states on the west coast - the winery roads - and the rocky mountain states. I am not crazy about the great midwest (and so why do I live here) but love the east coast, too.

Maybe Maine would be one of my favorites. Wouldn't want to live there, but I loved the layed back attitude and the small towns. Great lobster, too.

#109326 - 02/27/07 12:43 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Anno]
SharonE Offline

Thanks everyone.
Anno, I love history and scenery too. I was leaning towards the UK, and now that I've read your post, I'm convinced! It's a long haul from Australia, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Will have to start saving my pennies NOW.

Dotsie, I also love being close to the water. Beaches have always been very close to my heart. I was raised near the harbour/ocean and have never lived futher than 10miles from the coast. I find it very calming and relaxing. I will certainly have to fit in a beach oriented vacation in the not tooooo distant future. What would be your pick?

I love planning vacations and doing all the research on the internet, it makes me feel like I'm already there. Sort of like a permanent vacation (I wish)

#109327 - 02/27/07 04:19 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
sharon, I hope you will enjoy NZ. I had employee from New Zealand, she was homesick for it. I haven't been there, but my partner cycled by himself for 6 months in NZ in north and south islands. About 4 years ago. Unspoiled, great camping, etc.

I'm from Vancouver, British Columbia and have been living here for 5 years, after living in Ontario for over 43 years. It is beautiful where we are...just come in summer. We don't get much rain and the temperate rainforests are lush, tall.

I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii and 1 wk. a few years later in Sante Fe, New Mexico area. Just loved it for the fact, that these 2 states are very different in their historic-cultural influences compared to other parts of the U.S. I think every American should this part of their own country if they hesitate to travel to other "foreign" countries. There's enough exotic stuff in the history, flora/fauna, topography in these 2 states.

Greece is fantastic, particularily the islands. I was there for 3 weeks touring privately with 2 Greek-Canadians who knew the language.

#109328 - 02/27/07 05:17 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hi Sharon, I've heard from several people that New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries ever. I've also heard Bavaria, Germany resembles it a lot. That's where I live. We have mountains and crystal clear lakes…just no ocean. But the beaches in northern Germany, on the North Sea are beautiful.

JJ, I agree. Yellowstone is unbelievable. We saw it at sunset; the colour plays on those orange/yellow rocks looked like those old-fashioned postcards that have been coloured in. Almost fake. It was amazing.

Anno I find that interesting that of all the 50 states; you loved Maine the most. That's my favourite too! Were you there during Indian summer? I love Cape Cod as well. Have you ever been there?

When Hubby and I travel, we make a point of alternating; a day sight-seeing and the next day either taking it easy at the beach or playing golf.

I'm always battling the travel bug. I'm looking into a sailing tour for this summer. There are beautiful rivers to sail, with bed and breakfast along the shores. I would like to do those kinds of trips as long as we still feel fit.

#109329 - 02/28/07 02:46 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

If you decide to visit Canada, try my neck of the woods in Newfoundland. A world unknown.

Check out this site and follow the arrows at the bottom of it to view even more breathtaking pictures. Have you ever seen an iceburg up close and personal?

http://www.innovativewords.com/trips/newfoundland/gros_morne.htm

If you visit Newfoundland, tell 'em chick sent ya.

chick

#109330 - 02/28/07 02:54 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Hannelore - it never ceases to amaze me how much we have in common.

Chick - you are listed as living in Oklahoma. Were you raised in Newfoundland? I have heard you mention it often.

I fight the travel bug too. I want to travel all the time. I just need to find my fortune.

#109331 - 02/28/07 07:27 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Anno, You've never been to Germany, right? I'd be delighted to have you come vist!

Chick I checked out the link. Amazing ice burg. Newfoundland looks like Norway and maybe parts of Ireland, doesn't it? I've never been to both places, but just saw similiarities from pictures I've seen. Do you do water things; like fishing?

#109332 - 02/28/07 03:49 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sharon,
I visited New Zealand on a cruise ship last year and fell in love with it (also just loved Australia). Everything was so beautiful and everyone was so friendly. I'd go back in a heartbeat...if it were just closer! hahaha Although if it were, we Americans would probably ruin it.

If you enjoy history and scenery, consider a trip one day to the Normandy coast of France. The scenery is breathtaking, the food to die for, and the history seeping from every inch of ground. I've been there twice, and still haven't scratched the surface of what to see. From the rolling hills of the inland areas where the best cheese in the world is made (and apple brandy called Calvados that will knock your socks off), to the coastal areas and small villages favored by Monet in his paintings, to the incredible sites of the D-Day invasion, it is impossible to visit this area without sensory and emotional overload....but in a good way!

http://www.thefellowshipofthedevastated.com

www.arivaevents.com

#109333 - 03/05/07 11:37 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: WizardofZA]
SharonE Offline

Thank you everyone for all your great posts. Wow I would love to visit each and every beautiful place that has been mentioned.
Sorry I haven't replied before now, I have been away from the computer for nearly a week following the birth of my first grandchild, Hannah Lily. She was born on Feb 28. I am so, so happy, she is just beautiful. I have been raving about her on the Grandchildren forum, so I'll get back to my other great delight - travelling.
It's be wonderful reading about so many great destinations. They are all fascinating and outstanding. Only wish I could visit them all. Maybe I will one day, anything's possible, right?
Thanks Wizard for sharing your memories of NZ and Australia, it was lovely to hear you enjoyed my home country (NZ) and my adopted country (Australia).

#109334 - 03/05/07 11:46 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
SharonE Offline

Chickadee,
Just loved the link to pictures and story about Newfoundland.
I'll be telling 'em "Chick sent me"

#109335 - 03/06/07 02:41 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hannelore, I also love Cape Cod. I need to ask my husband where we stayed when we were there. I'll ask him and get back to you. It was beautiful, beachy, homey, gorgeous, old fashioned, etc. I'll get back to you with a link.

Sharon, do you like secluded beaches or busy beaches?

#109336 - 03/08/07 05:48 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Chickadee, that is 1 Canadian province I haven't visited yet. We cycled through P.E.I, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (actually we did 3 provinces..on July lst, Canada Day. A coincidence and completely unplanned.). But seriously, in our 3 wk. trip, we never made it to Newfie land. By the way, all the Newfies I've met and worked with who have moved out to Ontario and British Columbia, are great people. Newfies are genuinely friendly folks...something that stays with you folks for a lifetime, no matter where you relocate!

But anyway, a sis of mine hiked in Gros Morne. She loved it.

Dotsie- I've been to Cape Code on 2 separate visits. Also went to Nantucket Island. A real whaling history there. I would suggest Americans see the difference between the New England coastal states and Canadian Maritime provinces --some unique differences.

#109337 - 03/11/07 06:24 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I've only been to Canada three times. Twice (years ago) to Niagara Falls and once a few years ago to Montreal. I got some great pictures in Montreal, but I liked Niagara better. I liked the underground mall in Montreal.

I'm probably less than an hour away from Cape Cod and never go. Used to go years back, but now, we generally head north. Traffic to the Cape is awful.

In April, we are to to have a family get-together at my brother's home in Brattleborough, VT. I've only been there one other time, when he got married. That was about 13 years ago.

My favorite vacation place is Disney World, of course. But I like B& B's and side trips to Maine and the White Mountains of NH for side-trips.

#109338 - 03/11/07 07:43 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Dotsie, if you like the Cape, I think you'd lke my book...some romantic Cape Cod scenes in it...When that day comes...I'll send you a copy.

#109339 - 03/15/07 12:04 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i wanted to move lock stock and 2 smoking barrels (its a movie ) to cannada then someone pointed out i better visite first daahhh have they no adventure lol....

i lived in spain for a year in the north mountains that was nice and not typical of spain. The greec islands weer wonderfull too.

po has relitives in canada, she never been.....might be the reason we got married hehehe shuuuu only joking ok. i wouldn't care weer i went, i know id love it the countrie calls to me at a deep level ....why? havent a clue lol I have one cannadian frend who lives that just made my mind up further....now i got a yearning reading your posts

celtic

#109340 - 03/15/07 02:46 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: celtic_flame]
chickadee Offline

Where in Canada?

chick

#109341 - 03/16/07 08:25 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: chickadee]
celtic_flame Offline

i do anywear chick.....once their then travel....i can't rember off top of my head weer pos folks are living i or you aske her.

#109342 - 03/17/07 05:00 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: celtic_flame]
orchid Offline

Quote:

i wanted to move lock stock and 2 smoking barrels (its a movie ) to cannada then someone pointed out i better visite first daahhh have they no adventure lol....

i lived in spain for a year in the north mountains that was nice and not typical of spain. The greec islands weer wonderfull too.

No adventure, well depends what one gets stimulated by. Open wide expanses can be invorgorating (and colder) to some folks or just dull boring. (Me) I'm thinking of the huge stretches of flat prairie land. Southern Quebec, (Northern Quebec would be very isolated and cold, look at map..hardly much around if there is enough roads...which there isn't). Cape Breton Island etc., might intrigue you, just to see the Celtic historic roots there...

The west coast is quite different from eastern coastal CAnada or eastern coastal U.S. --in vegetation, terrain, cultural history (West coast still has a strong native Indian presence)..etc. You might like our area..there is no equivalent in Europe. Feels much wilder and older here compared to New England coast..where native Indian presence is barely visible in local artwork, architecture, local news, etc. Feels wiped out.

#109343 - 03/17/07 07:51 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The Newfoundland pictures are so beautiful! Thanks, Chickadee

The most breathtaking place I've ever seen was hiking in the Canadian Rockies. Absolutely awesome. I hiked a glacier in the summertime.

I spent a month in Australia, way back when. Up the West Coast and inland a bit. Really nice place and friendly people.

New Zealand is the #1 place on my wanna-go list!

and if you (or anyone) ever want to visit Southern California, come in the winter, when we have the best weather anywhere in the world.

Poet and essayist

#109344 - 03/17/07 05:53 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: meredithbead]
celtic_flame Offline

chicck and orchid

aye i have to start in citie weer po folks are from their we be able to travel and see whats good. I liked the sound of the weat coast seems like my kinda place. I not sure what it is about the place as i said i never been but it been a deep yearning is about the only word for it.....and i know i be comming "home" to something but i don't know what. been that way for last 10 yrs i think. I almoust made it out about 7 yrs ago...thats weer i was heading and was begining with the planes when i meet po.....If we weer to go their and (live seriously) then some areas have higher populasions of gold and silversmiths than most anyweer else...so po thinks its the mecca for jewlares and she want's to go near that, well she always said so....Once in a place i quite like traveling a bit to cheek out what its like before deciding weer and what choice i would trulie have, but as yet no particuler town has been ear marked. But thanks for the rough describtion at lest it help it i make up mind what part of the coast as the countrie vast compaired to the uk. You can cover it at a fair rate in a few days, and ireland. i have driven in a day from bottom left, berrer pinicula house by the sea next house was usa lol to top right of ireland, past belfast and beyond....

its all ment to be part of the big picture po going back finish and specilise in silversmithing, then she more readie to go to canada....thats the way she sees it. The rest is just deatail..

celtic

#109345 - 03/25/07 12:30 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Ohhhhhhh.....NZ...that's on my list as is Oz. Dave and I travel a lot; we're at a point in our lives where we've either got to travel now or it will be too late in a, few, short years. So we spend almost every dime we've got on getting our passports stamped.

As a child, my parent's and two siblings and I traveled all over the USA. Every year Daddy and Mother would pile us in the camper and we'd visit different states. I've been to all fifty states and each has something wonderful to recommend it.

Last year Dave and I traveled to Romania, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia which was very exciting, especially the border crossings and getting my treasures across. I suppose the part about losing our luggage for two weeks and traveling in the same clothes lent a certain "air" to the trip as well. I can now pack for a week in a carry on backpack and large purse -ha ha.

NCL has an affordable cruise out of Charleston, SC and if you can go on a week's notice, it's cheaper than a week at the beach. We took that cruise and went to Grand Cayman, Mexico and Key West. Every year a girlfriend and I celebrate our b'day by taking a trip to the Carib; last year it was Aruba and next month we're going to St. Martin. She has a time share and that makes it very affordable. Dave and I also went to northern CA and OR and had a great time salmon fishing and just enjoying each other's company.

Dave and I went to Morocco and London earlier this month; we visited Marrakesh and camped in the Sahara. It was a great trip but "soft adventure" and, frankly, I've decided I like western plumbing a LOT! <g>

We're headed to Armenia and Georgia in June. The Armenia/Georgia trip is with the same person who hired me to teach in Russia in '04 so this should be a fabulous trip. He knows a lot of people, has a lot of contacts and we'll see the country like folks who live there and not tourists.

I'm helping with a trip to the Ukraine and Romania this August which centers on crafts and the textile industry. It's still possible to buy geniune antiques for just about nothing. Young people want cell phones more than they want Grandfather's shepherd's vest or Grandmother's linen robe. Those countries aren't yet part of the EU so they are Very Affordable; if anyone is interested, let me know.

As to my favorite destination? The next trip, of course <g>.

#109346 - 03/27/07 03:51 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
orchid Offline

How is it that you manage to travel so far and so many places, Thistle? I would be bankrupt or...I would have to cycle and camp on a shoestring..which I've met some people who have achieved such farflung travel dreams.

I haven't even travelled to Asia yet and am nearing the 1/2 century mark in my years. And that's where my parents are originally from.

#109347 - 03/30/07 11:51 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Orchid, we don't have children and that's a HUGE savings - haha.

Travel is important to us, not eating out or clothes or shoes, etc. When we travel, we do it on a tight budget and, usually, Eastern Europe, Russia or other countries that are very inexpensive. We ate really well in Romania for about $4 a meal. When we get home, I try and write various articles about travel, fiber/textiles, etc. and that helps bring in money for the next trip. We also have a lot of connections through the Center for International Understanding -CIU- and can always find somewhere to stay with someone who knows someone we know. The CIU hired me to go to Russia and work in 2004 and we're traveling with them to Armenia and Georgia this year. That trip is very inexpensive but, due to the connections, we'll be treated like royalty.

We're very blessed and thank God every day.

#109348 - 03/31/07 02:02 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Sandra, your trips sound really neat. I'm glad you've been able to take advantage of those wonderful opportunities.

Poet and essayist

#109349 - 03/31/07 08:46 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, we were thinking of going North this summer to Mass to see Louisa in Lynn Mass . We have been to Cape Cod and love it , but not been in Boston for awhile . So, we might be up your way this summer Louisa .....

Blessings,

#109350 - 04/01/07 12:29 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Orchid, we don't have children and that's a HUGE savings - haha.

Travel is important to us, not eating out or clothes or shoes, etc. When we travel, we do it on a tight budget and, usually, Eastern Europe, Russia or other countries that are very inexpensive. We ate really well in Romania for about $4 a meal. When we get home, I try and write various articles about travel, fiber/textiles, etc. and that helps bring in money for the next trip. We also have a lot of connections through the Center for International Understanding -CIU- and can always find somewhere to stay with someone who knows someone we know. The CIU hired me to go to Russia and work in 2004 and we're traveling with them to Armenia and Georgia this year. That trip is very inexpensive but, due to the connections, we'll be treated like royalty.

Interesting. We know a couple who have paid home-stay international students from Japan, Korea or Mexico who taking English languages courses for a few months, so they pay a family for room and board, some meals. He is semi-retired and she is retired. They usually have 1-2 students and provide food. There are rules. Most students are adults.

And the benefit to them, is that they have travelled to Japan twice where they were feted like royalty and provided with accommodation by grateful ex-students. You know that Japan is an expensive country to travel in but this is a fantastic gift to them.

It's not for everyone since it takes a certain cultural sensitivity to take in international students where is there is equal partnership in learning from each other in a home. Couple are Causcasian but have loved Japanese food and things for many years.

They only get international students by referral (prevents bad experiences) and have been doing this over 10 years. Of course they live near famed local ski mountains...another draw for short term students who love to snowboard, etc.

#109351 - 04/03/07 12:22 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think the idea of having exchange students is a great one. I have a friend who housed one and they are now traveling to meet her family.

Thistle, how was St. Martin? I'd love to know. That's a consideration for a future island trip.

#109352 - 04/14/07 05:47 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
lotus Offline

Check out http://www.journeywoman.com, the largest online travel resource for women. It's also the oldest. It began in 1994. They have travel facts by women for women about destinations around the world. They also send out a free fabulous monthly travel tip enewsletter that is overflowing with ideas for trips and destinations. I know you'll all love it.

#109353 - 04/14/07 06:53 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: lotus]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We've had Japanese foreign exchange students three times so far, but only for two weeks at a time. Loved it! And it's been great for my kids to see the different cultures, and learn that we can still communicated despite the language barrier.

Kathy

#109354 - 04/15/07 01:50 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: lotus]
orchid Offline

I have met Evelyn, the author of the website Journeywoman when I was living in Toronto. I met her via a good friend who ran a local bike and walking tour company in the same city.

#109355 - 04/15/07 04:10 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
Wow! This year I am going to see family in Colorado Springs and Chicago. Being on a retiremnent budget limits where I can dream to visit. I plan to meet Mary Persall while in Colorado Springs, Look forward to it. Want to also go to a spa while there. Is anyone from Chicago? I have a few days near the Loop and would love to meet some of you. Any ideas?

#109356 - 04/15/07 04:39 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

When will you be in Chicago? Some of the ladies will be at the Booming Women Conference in May.

#109357 - 04/15/07 05:30 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Kathy have your children lived in Japan as exchange students? I've had exchange students from France, and would not do it again. We made the mistake of taking on two together, and they just spoke with one another, did not integrate with the family, and were just looking for free food and rides. Glad you had better experiences.

#109358 - 04/15/07 05:58 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

No, our kids haven't gone over there. They'd probably starve to death if they did since they are such picky eaters!

The ones we had were always quite short term, and they were two at a time in all cases. My youngest (15) wants to see Europe and learn German, and I told him he could go over and meet you but he looked at me a little odd, like how could he just fly over to Germany and meet someone none of us really knew!

But I bet you'd welcome him for dinner and show him around a little, wouldn't you? That's the feeling I get from so many of these ladies on here - I really feel like I know you. My son looks at me like I'm nuts, but then I remind him of his online friends and he starts to understand.

K

#109359 - 04/15/07 06:06 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Kathy, I'm smiling. I think that is one of the biggest compliments from a mother, to entrust her child to another.
Of course we would be delighted to have your son come visit. They have fantastic youth summer programs here too. Many teenagers travel Germany be "rail", stay in youth hostiles and hike or bike ride in organized groups. My nephew may do that this summer, just using our place as a stop over. Just a thought…I wouldn't want your son to get bored with us oldies.

#109360 - 04/29/07 11:38 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
ShirleyValentine Offline

Aw, I'm a little bit biased, but Venice is one of my all-time favourites, especially during Carnevale (February).

We went there for my 50th, with son in tow!

Other lovely places in Italy?
Well, Florence and Rome, obviously, but also places like Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii (amazing place), San Gimignano, Alberobello, Monte Argentario (this last one if you like boats)...

I have two other places I so want to go to:

1. Cairo, Luxor and the Nile (I am into egyptology)
2. Graceland (I am an Elvis fan )

#109361 - 04/30/07 12:20 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: ShirleyValentine]
SharonE Offline

Shirley,
I have very fond memories of Venice, even though I was only 15 yrs old when I last visited. Seems like a lifetime ago. I'm sure going to get back there one day!

It's just 3 weeks to go before we fly out to New Zealand for 2 weeks and I can't wait!
Some of you will already know that I was born in NZ, but I haven't been back for about 28yrs so I'm really not sure what to expect. I know it will be a little strange going back to see the places where I grew up. I hope the old house is still there.
In some ways it will be quite nostalgic, but I'm also looking forward to exploring the countryside and the attractions that NZ is famous for (But, definitely NOT the bungy jumping!!!) If you're not familiar with Bungy.... it basically requires you to strap a stretchy rope to your ankles and jump off a bridge.
Here's a short film clip http://www.ajhackett.co.nz/

#109362 - 04/30/07 01:45 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: SharonE]
ShirleyValentine Offline

Gosh you must be so excited after 28 years!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved