The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109348 - 03/31/07 02:02 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Sandra, your trips sound really neat. I'm glad you've been able to take advantage of those wonderful opportunities.

Poet and essayist

#109349 - 03/31/07 08:46 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, we were thinking of going North this summer to Mass to see Louisa in Lynn Mass . We have been to Cape Cod and love it , but not been in Boston for awhile . So, we might be up your way this summer Louisa .....

Blessings,

#109350 - 04/01/07 12:29 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Orchid, we don't have children and that's a HUGE savings - haha.

Travel is important to us, not eating out or clothes or shoes, etc. When we travel, we do it on a tight budget and, usually, Eastern Europe, Russia or other countries that are very inexpensive. We ate really well in Romania for about $4 a meal. When we get home, I try and write various articles about travel, fiber/textiles, etc. and that helps bring in money for the next trip. We also have a lot of connections through the Center for International Understanding -CIU- and can always find somewhere to stay with someone who knows someone we know. The CIU hired me to go to Russia and work in 2004 and we're traveling with them to Armenia and Georgia this year. That trip is very inexpensive but, due to the connections, we'll be treated like royalty.

Interesting. We know a couple who have paid home-stay international students from Japan, Korea or Mexico who taking English languages courses for a few months, so they pay a family for room and board, some meals. He is semi-retired and she is retired. They usually have 1-2 students and provide food. There are rules. Most students are adults.

And the benefit to them, is that they have travelled to Japan twice where they were feted like royalty and provided with accommodation by grateful ex-students. You know that Japan is an expensive country to travel in but this is a fantastic gift to them.

It's not for everyone since it takes a certain cultural sensitivity to take in international students where is there is equal partnership in learning from each other in a home. Couple are Causcasian but have loved Japanese food and things for many years.

They only get international students by referral (prevents bad experiences) and have been doing this over 10 years. Of course they live near famed local ski mountains...another draw for short term students who love to snowboard, etc.

#109351 - 04/03/07 12:22 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think the idea of having exchange students is a great one. I have a friend who housed one and they are now traveling to meet her family.

Thistle, how was St. Martin? I'd love to know. That's a consideration for a future island trip.

#109352 - 04/14/07 05:47 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
lotus Offline

Check out http://www.journeywoman.com, the largest online travel resource for women. It's also the oldest. It began in 1994. They have travel facts by women for women about destinations around the world. They also send out a free fabulous monthly travel tip enewsletter that is overflowing with ideas for trips and destinations. I know you'll all love it.

#109353 - 04/14/07 06:53 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: lotus]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We've had Japanese foreign exchange students three times so far, but only for two weeks at a time. Loved it! And it's been great for my kids to see the different cultures, and learn that we can still communicated despite the language barrier.

Kathy

#109354 - 04/15/07 01:50 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: lotus]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I have met Evelyn, the author of the website Journeywoman when I was living in Toronto. I met her via a good friend who ran a local bike and walking tour company in the same city.

#109355 - 04/15/07 04:10 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
Wow! This year I am going to see family in Colorado Springs and Chicago. Being on a retiremnent budget limits where I can dream to visit. I plan to meet Mary Persall while in Colorado Springs, Look forward to it. Want to also go to a spa while there. Is anyone from Chicago? I have a few days near the Loop and would love to meet some of you. Any ideas?

#109356 - 04/15/07 04:39 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
When will you be in Chicago? Some of the ladies will be at the Booming Women Conference in May.

#109357 - 04/15/07 05:30 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Kathy have your children lived in Japan as exchange students? I've had exchange students from France, and would not do it again. We made the mistake of taking on two together, and they just spoke with one another, did not integrate with the family, and were just looking for free food and rides. Glad you had better experiences.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved