The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109338 - 03/11/07 07:43 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Dotsie, if you like the Cape, I think you'd lke my book...some romantic Cape Cod scenes in it...When that day comes...I'll send you a copy.

#109339 - 03/15/07 12:04 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Edelweiss]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i wanted to move lock stock and 2 smoking barrels (its a movie ) to cannada then someone pointed out i better visite first daahhh have they no adventure lol....

i lived in spain for a year in the north mountains that was nice and not typical of spain. The greec islands weer wonderfull too.

po has relitives in canada, she never been.....might be the reason we got married hehehe shuuuu only joking ok. i wouldn't care weer i went, i know id love it the countrie calls to me at a deep level ....why? havent a clue lol I have one cannadian frend who lives that just made my mind up further....now i got a yearning reading your posts

celtic

#109340 - 03/15/07 02:46 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: celtic_flame]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Where in Canada?

chick

#109341 - 03/16/07 08:25 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: chickadee]
celtic_flame Offline

i do anywear chick.....once their then travel....i can't rember off top of my head weer pos folks are living i or you aske her.

#109342 - 03/17/07 05:00 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: celtic_flame]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

i wanted to move lock stock and 2 smoking barrels (its a movie ) to cannada then someone pointed out i better visite first daahhh have they no adventure lol....

i lived in spain for a year in the north mountains that was nice and not typical of spain. The greec islands weer wonderfull too.

No adventure, well depends what one gets stimulated by. Open wide expanses can be invorgorating (and colder) to some folks or just dull boring. (Me) I'm thinking of the huge stretches of flat prairie land. Southern Quebec, (Northern Quebec would be very isolated and cold, look at map..hardly much around if there is enough roads...which there isn't). Cape Breton Island etc., might intrigue you, just to see the Celtic historic roots there...

The west coast is quite different from eastern coastal CAnada or eastern coastal U.S. --in vegetation, terrain, cultural history (West coast still has a strong native Indian presence)..etc. You might like our area..there is no equivalent in Europe. Feels much wilder and older here compared to New England coast..where native Indian presence is barely visible in local artwork, architecture, local news, etc. Feels wiped out.

#109343 - 03/17/07 07:51 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The Newfoundland pictures are so beautiful! Thanks, Chickadee

The most breathtaking place I've ever seen was hiking in the Canadian Rockies. Absolutely awesome. I hiked a glacier in the summertime.

I spent a month in Australia, way back when. Up the West Coast and inland a bit. Really nice place and friendly people.

New Zealand is the #1 place on my wanna-go list!

and if you (or anyone) ever want to visit Southern California, come in the winter, when we have the best weather anywhere in the world.

Poet and essayist

#109344 - 03/17/07 05:53 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: meredithbead]
celtic_flame Offline

chicck and orchid

aye i have to start in citie weer po folks are from their we be able to travel and see whats good. I liked the sound of the weat coast seems like my kinda place. I not sure what it is about the place as i said i never been but it been a deep yearning is about the only word for it.....and i know i be comming "home" to something but i don't know what. been that way for last 10 yrs i think. I almoust made it out about 7 yrs ago...thats weer i was heading and was begining with the planes when i meet po.....If we weer to go their and (live seriously) then some areas have higher populasions of gold and silversmiths than most anyweer else...so po thinks its the mecca for jewlares and she want's to go near that, well she always said so....Once in a place i quite like traveling a bit to cheek out what its like before deciding weer and what choice i would trulie have, but as yet no particuler town has been ear marked. But thanks for the rough describtion at lest it help it i make up mind what part of the coast as the countrie vast compaired to the uk. You can cover it at a fair rate in a few days, and ireland. i have driven in a day from bottom left, berrer pinicula house by the sea next house was usa lol to top right of ireland, past belfast and beyond....

its all ment to be part of the big picture po going back finish and specilise in silversmithing, then she more readie to go to canada....thats the way she sees it. The rest is just deatail..

celtic

#109345 - 03/25/07 12:30 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Ohhhhhhh.....NZ...that's on my list as is Oz. Dave and I travel a lot; we're at a point in our lives where we've either got to travel now or it will be too late in a, few, short years. So we spend almost every dime we've got on getting our passports stamped.

As a child, my parent's and two siblings and I traveled all over the USA. Every year Daddy and Mother would pile us in the camper and we'd visit different states. I've been to all fifty states and each has something wonderful to recommend it.

Last year Dave and I traveled to Romania, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia which was very exciting, especially the border crossings and getting my treasures across. I suppose the part about losing our luggage for two weeks and traveling in the same clothes lent a certain "air" to the trip as well. I can now pack for a week in a carry on backpack and large purse -ha ha.

NCL has an affordable cruise out of Charleston, SC and if you can go on a week's notice, it's cheaper than a week at the beach. We took that cruise and went to Grand Cayman, Mexico and Key West. Every year a girlfriend and I celebrate our b'day by taking a trip to the Carib; last year it was Aruba and next month we're going to St. Martin. She has a time share and that makes it very affordable. Dave and I also went to northern CA and OR and had a great time salmon fishing and just enjoying each other's company.

Dave and I went to Morocco and London earlier this month; we visited Marrakesh and camped in the Sahara. It was a great trip but "soft adventure" and, frankly, I've decided I like western plumbing a LOT! <g>

We're headed to Armenia and Georgia in June. The Armenia/Georgia trip is with the same person who hired me to teach in Russia in '04 so this should be a fabulous trip. He knows a lot of people, has a lot of contacts and we'll see the country like folks who live there and not tourists.

I'm helping with a trip to the Ukraine and Romania this August which centers on crafts and the textile industry. It's still possible to buy geniune antiques for just about nothing. Young people want cell phones more than they want Grandfather's shepherd's vest or Grandmother's linen robe. Those countries aren't yet part of the EU so they are Very Affordable; if anyone is interested, let me know.

As to my favorite destination? The next trip, of course <g>.

#109346 - 03/27/07 03:51 AM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: Thistle Cove Farm]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
How is it that you manage to travel so far and so many places, Thistle? I would be bankrupt or...I would have to cycle and camp on a shoestring..which I've met some people who have achieved such farflung travel dreams.

I haven't even travelled to Asia yet and am nearing the 1/2 century mark in my years. And that's where my parents are originally from.

#109347 - 03/30/07 11:51 PM Re: Great Destinations? [Re: orchid]
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Orchid, we don't have children and that's a HUGE savings - haha.

Travel is important to us, not eating out or clothes or shoes, etc. When we travel, we do it on a tight budget and, usually, Eastern Europe, Russia or other countries that are very inexpensive. We ate really well in Romania for about $4 a meal. When we get home, I try and write various articles about travel, fiber/textiles, etc. and that helps bring in money for the next trip. We also have a lot of connections through the Center for International Understanding -CIU- and can always find somewhere to stay with someone who knows someone we know. The CIU hired me to go to Russia and work in 2004 and we're traveling with them to Armenia and Georgia this year. That trip is very inexpensive but, due to the connections, we'll be treated like royalty.

We're very blessed and thank God every day.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved