The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#109024 - 03/03/07 04:38 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Edelweiss]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
There is also a type called a 'scanner.' This is what I am. I have had several careers, but nothing holds my interest for long. Same with hobbies; as soon as I figure out how to do something, it doesn't interest me any more. I always thought there was something 'wrong' with me because my friends seemed to be able to stick to a career, and I couldn't. When I found Barbara Sher's work, I was ecstatic; there isn't anything wrong with me. I'm just wired differently. I have unfinished projects all over the place, which Barbara says is just fine (and in her books, she addresses how to deal with this,) so I'm now content with how I operate.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#109025 - 03/03/07 05:22 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: yonuh]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
amazine dotsie and a good carictr your kids have especillie the girl its what you weer saying about the effort she has to put in to learn but is willing to do it for the joy of learning....thats admirable in anyone. Its great to know that kids with disorders can succed with meds or situasion like alternitive learning methods. Its like happie endings in a way and our abilities to overcome ....makes us humain but being humain what makes us uniquike.

thanks for sharring hope it gives hope to other mums with kids or grandkids, with theas disorders

celtic

#109026 - 03/03/07 05:32 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

hi di i took care not to implie that OCD and addiction has a tight connection..If someone in (mental emotional)pain then they relive that pain with meds/drink to big extent then feel obsessed with drugs and combulsed to use then and have other obsesive compulsife traites then it might be addiction. The obsession and combulsion is just another way for addicts to try and relive the discomphort they feel in the world, some lose it furtheir into treatment others don't, just evidence of a constant but perhapps for them deminished unease with the world.

I wouldn't say you weer anymore vulrible to addiction or drink than anyone else thats hurting...and may want to block it out. Hope i aint worried you and i wouldn't want you hurt by me for the world, just in case di

celtic

#109027 - 03/03/07 05:33 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

younith a "scanner" is that another type of ADD or a diffrent disorder. ....in anycase i am happie you feel normal now and have acceptance for yourself

celtic

#109028 - 03/03/07 05:36 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Hannilore main thing hes doing great now....and charm and carisma hmmmm wonder who he got them traits after eh? girlie girl

celtic

#109029 - 03/03/07 05:48 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Edelweiss]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Hannilore, what if that one action (putting him on medication) would have changed the course of his life? That's what scares me! Our youngest daugher has our oldest grandson on a medication for ADHD (not Ritalin, but a newer drug). It has changed his personality, dramatically. What if the person he was destined to be has now been altered. I hate the thought. His over-achieving school pushed my daughter and husband into taking drastic measures - drug based measures with threats of holding him back and/or putting him in special ed classes. He has been tested for dyslexia, not the extensive testing celtic has been through, tho. I think his test only took a couple of hours. How can one, especially a school worker, make a solid determination as to where his problems lie, in such a short period, with crude testing methods, under stressful circumstances, and with a school standard pressing them to make him conform!? This really p***es me off. According to some, he is afflicted with ADHD (current prescribing psychiatrist), ODD (his first pediatric psychiatrist) dyslexia (per school testing) and general learning disabilities (per last year's and current teachers). This is an extremely bright kiddo (I'm not speaking from a biased viewpoint, either).
But, with his medication, he seems so dulled... I can't think of a better word. His personality, his actions, his speech, his dismeanor, etc..
Yes, his grades have improved, but at what cost? What are grades, anyway? A way to measure me to you? Old school gone wrong!

If only there was a way to reach all children with all special needs!

#109030 - 03/03/07 10:10 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: gims]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Celtic...aw shucks...you're the charmer here.

Gimster it must be disturbing to see your grandchild's personality change. Doesn't it make you wonder if the school structure is wrong. Medicating a child, if he doesn't fit in the system, can't be the answer. I'm with you on this!

Of course parents want their children to go on to college. I had the same attitude, but through the German school system, I learned that college is not necessarily the only way to happiness.

In Germany the children are divided from the fifth grade up as to who will go to college and who won't. I was in absolute panic, because both my sons were late bloomers, and neither made it to the college group. Instead they went on to "middle" school. It's sort of like a business school. The third group of children go to trade school. There they have minimum three year apprenticeship programs, including teaching the students how to start their own businesses. Many of these so-called "blue collar" workers earn more than doctors.

So if a child is overly active, they tend to put him into a sports program or have him work more with his hands. There are fantastic career possibilities here without college, (other than medical, law or engineering careers). Who knows if our son would have had the same opportunity in America? But that's another topic.

Children with special needs are needed in our society. Instead of investing money in drugs, these valuable people should earn higher salaries to enable them to live quality lives, just like college grads.

Do I sound like I'm candidating for President? Ha ha …sorry, didn't mean to go off like that.

#109031 - 03/04/07 01:38 AM Re: For Celtic [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Hannelore, you are the best candidate for president that I have seen so far. Go for it, girl.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109032 - 03/04/07 01:39 AM Re: For Celtic [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Whoa - I just noticed that I have over one thousand posts! I remember being impressed when I had 100.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109033 - 03/04/07 04:32 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Way to go, Anno. Hey, I'm a poet!

Celtic, I know you weren't implying anything but honestly, I have to watch myself closely because I don't seem to have a stop button. I couldn't have one glass of wine or one cigarette. It was always the whole bottle or the whole pack. So, there is a connection.

I was on Ritalin during the process of writing my book. It's the only way I can stay truly focused, along with the passion I had for writing my story. If I don't have a project, I don't need it. I just stay scattered.

When I was depressed from this OCD I started thinking that I should have been a miscarriage. First, I was an unwanted pregnancy, was born with crossed eyes and got Scarlet Fever and almost died and then, they found a heart murmer! A lot for a baby to overcome but I did. Add to this a father who screamed and raged at me and a mother who used me for the family scape goat and well...it's been tough but I believe I'm a better person because of all this.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved