The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#109004 - 02/25/07 03:43 PM For Celtic
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I wasn't sure where to put this. Celtic, could you explain dyslexia to me so I can get a better understanding? Do you just see words differently than others or is it more complex? What methods were used to help you overcome?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#109005 - 02/25/07 04:31 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Dianne, not Celtic here, but an educational point of view on dyslexia.

The term dyslexia has come under a bit of controversy lately. There are those that believe that the word should be reserved for those that have the most severe of learning disabilites in reading. Many children and adults have LD (learning disabilities) in reading and there is quite a continuum of how they manifest themselves. Most importantly, LDs are most often found in people with above average intellegence.

A quote from research:

"Much of the current scientific research focuses on the hypothesis that dyslexia stems from a deficit in phonological awareness. This hypothesis suggests that affected individuals have difficulty analyzing the words they hear into discrete segments (such as phonemes), which in turn leads to difficulty learning spelling-sound correspondences."

It is unfortunate that educators, while well meaning, have very little understanding of the problems and identifing LD in students and often teaching methods exasperate the problem. The research on methods to overcome the problems is unclear and general education training does little to address the issue. It is a shame.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109006 - 02/26/07 10:53 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
thanks for ansking di

dyslexia is the new black for bad spellers lol hehehe

School hit me over the head with rulers to encourage me to get and keep the word in my head lol it didn't work, nor did humiliasion etc....

it's went from no one knowing about it to everyone having it, as Anno said. The term been grossly misues with people jumping on the bandwagon so to speek without being tested for it and just to excouse the occasional mispealed word or gramatical mistack which is NORMAL lol....its a pity it just creates more confusion and misunderstanding.

thanks again for taking time and thought to aske di....pet

anno's answere is great and a good definision...i pushed for time tonight in a big way love, so i get back to answereing this as soon as i can...I also gotta think how to explaine it...

As an educater she may know the most recent thinking about it ans supporting research...i tell ya what it's like from the inside

celtic

#109007 - 02/26/07 11:07 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Do you gals feel ADD is also overused? Seems like so many children have it. How did that happen?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#109008 - 02/27/07 12:10 AM Re: For Celtic [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, two of my children have ADD. Both have chosen to treat it differently. I totally believe it is over diagnosed, but I also believe that if you have ADD, medicine properly taken can be life changing.

I believe creative people can benefit from ADD in many aspects.

#109009 - 02/27/07 12:18 AM Re: For Celtic
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I think we are all on a spectrum of sorts for almost all disorders. We are a pill society and want to cure all our ills with medicine. I completely believe that medication is a good thing, but it can be overused.

Yes, it is over diagnosed, but for those that have a high degree of ADD, or any disorder, medication can be a godsend.

Some of the great artists of the world had mental disorders and we cherish many of their works. Yes, creative people can benefit from many "disorders" - or perhaps, just perhaps, our ideas of normal are very skewed.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#109010 - 02/27/07 03:07 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

...the new black...celtic, you crack me up.

Okay, my disorder is OCD. I remember it starting when I was about seven years old but I thought everybody counted. However, it really was bad in school because I had to count the buttons on the teachers shirt/dress, the maps or pictures on the wall before I would allow myself to listen to the teacher. While in therapy, I had the number of items in Dr. Bob's office memorized (13) and he would sometimes say, "You're counting, aren't you?" Then he would tell me it was okay, go ahead.

Then I was told I had slight ADD. At that point, I started crying. I was on meds for it for a while but no longer take anything. I've learned to stay focused.

Dots, what kind of therapy did your children use?

Celtic, how do they test? Anno, that is also a question for you too. I find it very interesting.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#109011 - 02/28/07 11:36 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: Dianne]
celtic_flame Offline

great you got that joke, kind of thought i had slipped it in and no one noticed lol.

sorrie its taken so long to get back in the rooms its been intresting few days.

Broccas area is over the left ear, relitivly small but in it is the LAD (language acuisition device) thats the area of brian responcible for handeling language....
Foder desined a madel of the brain thats been proven could Modularity of mind, he clamed that one area of the brain could not function as it should having an overall effect on a behavour but the rest of the brain or mind works perfectly well.
The stigma is everyone and their grannie thinks bad language abilites means poor inteligences....75% IQ is sub-educasional (in this countrie) people with 80% in IQ have had adiquite language skills verbal reading and written skills due to the specilized area of the lad working as it should do but alas could't think or rationalise etc.

How it's tested for di is you have to at lest average inteligence 100% but a big disparity in language skills and no real external reason that would interfear with learning language skills. ie never going to school,etc. So they give you language based teest untill you fail ie reading writting, word comprihension and appropriatness, paragraph comprihension so they can mesure your maximum potencial at languages. logic, reasoning tests, problem solving etc. that is not based on language. They mesure your language ability and "type" of mistakes made within the language tests agenst your iq and that is when your either statmented as deslexia or not...

Anno over heer it is classed as a spacific learning disabilitie to distinquish it agenst general learning disabilities. I know its anal but....lol

I have been to 3 universities so have had the pleasure of having 3 diffrent edu psy test me 3 diffrent ways and i varie about 2 points on the test...

In terms of input reading and output spelling written expression etc their can also be diffrences. i do misread and lose function words (like it or and )those types of words which tell you the relashionship of one thing too another....It can make a sentence reallie strange. When the relashionship of one thing to another is reallie messed up in my head.

Spelling a nightmare, i can spell cheek but the machine dosent pick up homophones like beer and bear heer and hear, theirs, their theer lol theirs some lol and i constently mess them up and the machine dosent recognise that i have the wrong one in the wrong place. I can also choise the wrong word to pick from the spell cheeking list. Po being about and i constantly hounded her with "spell such and such" lol. She trying to tell me letters, i heer them with my ears and i can't translate the sound into a shape in my head so don't know what one to pick from the keyboared. its fun sometimes lol

their are advantigies to dyslexia, ie i can rotate shapes in my head very easilie in 3d. So i am good at desining a garden bench, then build it becouse i can see the joints etc in my head...Sometimes words automaticly become pictures so a problem is reprisented pictorallie...ie statistick tests in psychology...it really helps if your talking about negative corralating vriables lol..

theirs always solusions and theirs always advantiges to most everything in life either we find them or go bonkers with the stuff we can't do...

celtic (pheewww) did that make sences

So how do i studie lol...at first it was grim determinasion to prove certine people wrong in formative years as well as for the joy of it. Now it's just the joy of it being pasionate about what i do and willingness to put the hard work in and extra effort.

#109012 - 02/28/07 11:40 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Dotsie

Apart from meds what support at school weer your kids offered?

what spaciffic advantiges would you say wour kids have with add....how dose it positivly effect their lives? Apart from the fact you love them to pices with it.

celtic

#109013 - 02/28/07 11:47 PM Re: For Celtic [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

dI
can you rember what was the first stressfull thing or upseating thing that you rember trying or starting the counting. If thats upseting or to personal to answere in public then don't, or just tell a lie.....lol

was it classed as ODD as a child or was Dr Bob visited as an adult. How did learning it was a disorder change your life? Do you keep quite about it with your real time frends or do they know about it?

yea i am just full of questions ....sorrie but yea your talking to me at the minuet but you never know who else will read this and be helped in some way and we may never know...

celtic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved